• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
he played there last weekend against randwick and didnt do too badly.. got over the advantage line more in the one game than tyrone smith has all year in the manly 12 jersey

But in all fairness Tyrone hit the A-line pretty often as well. I think the ascendancy in the centers came from the great ball they were getting rather than how great the backs were.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Uni have Barnes and Mumm back for the semi, that is a simply scary side

Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Jeremy Tilse; 4. Dean Mumm, 5. Dave McDuling; 6. Dave Dennis, 7. Jono Jenkins, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Berrick Barnes; 11. Lachie Mitchell, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Peter Betham; 15. Nathan Trist.

Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga’anuku, 2. Huia Edmonds, 3. Guy Shepherdson; 4. Phil Mathers, 5. Ed Brenac; 6. Talalelei Gray, 7. Will Brock, 8. Andrew Shaw; 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Matt To’omua; 11. Afusipa Taumoepeau, 12. Ben Ward, 13. Ryan Cross, 14. Anton Lavin; 15. Pat Dellit.
Referee: Stuart Dickinson

Cyril Towers (30)
Uni have Barnes and Mumm back for the semi, that is a simply scary side

Yeah, they've also got guys like Paddy Ryan, Sam Carter, Luke Jones, Pat McCutcheon, Dan Kelly and Alfi Mafi in 2s this week, and Luke Burgess is a fresh reserve.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Prior to Barnes going to Uni he was available to other clubs for a sizeable asking fee , which I believe would be beyond what clubs could or would be prepared to pay.(Perhaps that doesn't include Uni.)
Tertiary studies were not mentioned as part of the deal , & I don't think this was an overriding consideration in his ultimate choice of club.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Prior to Barnes going to Uni he was available to other clubs for a sizeable asking fee , which I believe would be beyond what clubs could or would be prepared to pay.(Perhaps that doesn't include Uni.)
Tertiary studies were not mentioned as part of the deal , & I don't think this was an overriding consideration in his ultimate choice of club.

is that just a rumour/third hand info? Do you have anything to back it up?

Cyril Towers (30)

I, for one, would be very surprised if he got any money from Uni.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I missed that one. Excellent pick up for them. He'll push Kingi for a starting spot.

You see people say the Rebels have no depth in key positions but with halfback for example we have two up and comers (Phipps and Kingi) and a veteran (Cordinley).

It makes me ask, what were folks expecting?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

At the Randwick Hall of Fame luncheon the other day, the Randwick CEO publically stated that they pay their players a total of $75k. That is $75k is in their budget/accounts for all player payments for the entire club. I think this includes all their physio, doctor etc bills as well. Contrary to perceptions, Randwick seems to run on the smell of an oily rag. I would be very surprised if Uni paid their players much more than the Coogee boys. I do not tghink that there is the sort of money floating around in clubland that people would like to think there is, or that some people claim there is to support their own ego's and views of their own self importance.

Professional players select clubs for coaching and development opportunities and exposure more so than $ on offer. The main $ for professional players are provided by the S15 franchises and JO'N from the Men in Gold.

I reckon that the amount of direct player payments at club level is almost negligible, regardless of the club

I reckon a bit like rugby scholarships at Sydney's private schools, the reality often significantly different from the rumour mill.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Riddler looked at the above post - totally agreed. It doesn't get put under the most expected avenue in the Annual Report... Coaching and Junior Club expenses are often targeted. To go along with what Riddler has mentioned.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Let's not mention third party payments, study fees, scholarships, endorsements, job opportunities or any other revenues that wont be paid directly by the club.

FFS, get real!

You say it like it's a bad thing. In the shamateur days yes, but these guys are semi-pro now aren't they?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Updates would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Off to the gym now, hoping that the Beasties b***er 'em.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Uni 27 Easts 3 at HT
Uni 42 Easts 17 at FT

Fairly predictable. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.