• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah I haven't heard too much about Sua.... but I was told that Sievert is going to Randwick and that Valentine is not contracted as yet to a S15 squad in 2012. Because of all the halfbacks around Randwick it might spark an exodus in that position from players pushing for 1st grade.

yeh it already has to a degree
Liam Walker to Norths

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
yeh it already has to a degree
Liam Walker to Norths

But i dont get these young blokes. Straight out of colts looking for a 1st grade spot. What happened to kids playing 3s and 4s while learning to play grade????
I know Norths have their shit together this year, but Walker was looked after in colts and some grade games this year by the Wicks. Apparently he is too good to play 2nd and 3rd grade.... From what i saw this year he struggled in 2's hence why he went back to colts after being dropped to 3's..
Will be interesting when some of the old heads at wicks get a hold of him, late or not!!

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
While I don't disagree w kids paying their dues in lower grades, I think Liam returned to colts after the super rugby players (which included a few halfbacks) were coming or came back. He doesn't strike me as a prima Donna who would jump ship because he was dropped. I wish him the best of luck (until he faces the wicks).

B

Balcknred

Anyone have a Idea if manly has sorted it's playing venue issue for 2012 ? Are they off to brooky Or have they sourced another venue ?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
This is as far from the truth as possible. Now i dont post very often but I grew up playing both against and in recent years with cummins and we've since become reasonable friends. I know for a fact that league wanted to keep him as well as Skelton from Uni, with the tigers offering them both the opportunity to play sg ball if they stayed in the system. Cummins only changed due to n.t.s selection and from what I can gather Skelton made the decision on his own, and from what I've seen it seems to be the right one. Your story about the tigers sending him over is almost laughable. Woodhouse coached sessions at the hills school, did you know of that? He may have been the reason cummins went to Wests and additionally Eastwood but who are we to say? How much do you really know about this situation lindommer? With all due respect, perhaps it is not your place to be making these assumptions if you don't know the boy or his story
It seems to me that the coach felt he needed another lock forward of ability & great potential, as he didn't have enough such players at Eastwood.
He looked around & lo & behold he just happened to find such a player at West Harbour , a club which he had coached the previous year, but had been subsequently replaced in what some might call
acrimonius circumstances.
This player fits all his requirements so he signed him.
What other interpretation could one place on the whole situation.

T

Tahboy

Liam walker is in the ARU Academy and he needs to be playing 1st or 2nd grade and with Steve Evans not playing at Norths there is an opportunity for him.
Quality players coming out of colts don't need to pay dues playing 3rd and 4th grade
Should have a look at the standard of 1st colts and the size of some of the players
Young players can't waste a season or 2 buried in lower grades if they have ambitions to play S15
Or they get passed by players coming through
Most don't make it but they know they have to put themselves in a position so they get every opportunity to show what they have got

R

Robert lui

Didnt Walker play in the 1st colts randwick side that should have beaten uni in the semi but lost in extra time. Club should have a pathway. :eek:

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Didnt Walker play in the 1st colts randwick side that should have beaten uni in the semi but lost in extra time. Club should have a pathway. :eek:

yeh he did. but he struggled playing 2's and 3's during the year and went back to colts.... Shows a difference between grade and colts! Also it doesnt matter about the size of the colts, yes i have seen them, its about ability in using it plus mentally able to handle it.
I really enjoyed colts, the guys should stay there as long as possible!!
i wish him all the best, its a gutsy decision to change clubs, hope it works out for him

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Liam walker is in the ARU Academy and he needs to be playing 1st or 2nd grade and with Steve Evans not playing at Norths there is an opportunity for him.
Quality players coming out of colts don't need to pay dues playing 3rd and 4th grade
Should have a look at the standard of 1st colts and the size of some of the players
Young players can't waste a season or 2 buried in lower grades if they have ambitions to play S15
Or they get passed by players coming through
Most don't make it but they know they have to put themselves in a position so they get every opportunity to show what they have got

Do you think he can oust James Price though?? He is a great little halfback, good pass, bigger, stronger, faster and ALOT more experience. Walker might find that old cliche about grass being greener come back and smack him in the backside....

A

Albert

Walker might find that old cliche about grass being greener come back and smack him in the backside....

Mate, steady on, you've had a crack at this kid a couple of times now. He's just a young fella trying to play footy. No one else cares, I don't know why this is even an issue.

Trust me, Randwick are very, very well stocked for 9s - we'll be sweet as. Phibbsy is only short term in UK and he'll be back mid-2012, same with Valo. Lukey Parsons was our best new player this year, and even though he's primarily concentrating on his career rather than footy in 2012, he'll still be around. Seivert is a gun, James Helliwell from Uni & Sua from Wests are being spoken of as potentials to join the club, plus we've still got Sammy Bartlett and Brady Enghert. That's two super rugby players (Phibbsy & Valo), one NPC player from Waikato (Parsons), at least one, possibly two or three established Sydney club players (Sievert, Sua, Helliwell), plus our existing clubmen (Bartlett & Brady). Lots of halfbacks for not many spots. Good young 9 in colts too - Mark Bannon.

I spoke with Jock and Poido last Thursday night before the independent Randwick coaching & season review, and they have no dramas with Walker moving on. Jock mentioned that Tony Lewis (Randwick General Manager) & Morro (current head coach) had let a couple of players know six or seven weeks ago that they were essentially 'surplus to requirements' for 2012 due to significant depth in their position - including a few of the halfbacks. Take your myrtle green glasses off for a minute and look at it objectively - we'll be sweet with heaps of depth, the kid is backing himself to succeed somewhere else, the King of the club doesn't mind, and the ARU is happy one of their National Academy players is not potentially running around in 4th grade behind a host of experienced, established, top-level Shute Shield players. Win-win for all.

K

Keithy

Randwick have Seivert and Helliwell that much I know. I think Price will holdout Walker at Norths for 1st grade.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
there's a few rumours doing the rounds that Penrith are struggling to keep Coach Matt Briggs..............can anyone provide some more information

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sievert is a good pick up.......he was clearly not happy at Southern Districts.

Hart and Roos were preferred (unless Sievert was injured); so it was probably a good move for him.

I have been disappointed in Sievert: one of several promising schools players who didn't really make it though he played a few minutes in the S14 from the Tahs Academy about 4 years ago and I thought he would kick on from that.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Hart and Roos were preferred (unless Sievert was injured); so it was probably a good move for him.

I have been disappointed in Sievert: one of several promising schools players who didn't really make it though he played a few minutes in the S14 from the Tahs Academy about 4 years ago and I thought he would kick on from that.

Just another talented kid, who was made a rock star by the clowns at the NTS when he was a kid, then was spat out the back of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.