• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bradley

So what if Woodhouse talked to Cummins. If Cummins has a previous connection to Woodhouse and he was unhappy at Wests then it makes sense for Woodhouse to seek out Cummins and find out if he was interested in playing for the Woodies.

Should Woodhouse stand back and say nothing?

Settle petal.......just making the connection.

K

Keithy

My information is 16 rounds starting April 14 with June long weekend for City vs Country, a wet weather weekend in July and finals in August. The SRU is trying to make a compulsary preseason with 3 rounds and a final on 31st March telecast on ABC. Problem is how to split the comp into 2 groups of 6 and who plays in the finals. Discussion were to be held at a meeting this week but the meeting has be postponed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dont know who he is but i cant believe the game will be better off with him at randwick than west harbour
This split comp is folly - how do clubs promise their sponsors exposure if they dont know which end they will be in......
I see the beginnings of real problems

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
My information is 16 rounds starting April 14 with June long weekend for City vs Country, a wet weather weekend in July and finals in August. The SRU is trying to make a compulsary preseason with 3 rounds and a final on 31st March telecast on ABC.

ok cool, thanks:thumb

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
What is the argument for making the comp shorter?

What is wrong with the current format?

Apparently clubs just arent making money on gate takings and some clubs are losing money paying rent for the grounds on match day.
Also some clubs are discussing playing clubs penrith and parra (that dont attract a crowd) at their training grounds instead of main grounds due to this fact....
I dont agree with it, just what ive heard on the grapevine...

B

Balcknred

Half back .. Was in tahs acadameyoons ago , was apart of the Samoan world cup squad

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
If influencing means offering them better playing conditions than what they currently receive this is a reality and all part of playing semi-professional rugby.

if Eastwood have a contact that says Cummins was unhappy at Wests and they offer him more than what Wests were giving him then what is the problem. If Wests can't match it or make the player happy thats life. It is up to the player (or the player's agent) to get the best for the player. Obviously the best deal will be found with the more successful and more affluent clubs

You don't stay with a club that is being mismanaged or play under a coaching structure you believe is not suited to you and you have no influence over just because you are a junior product of that system. I don't believe that any franchise would be influencing a players decision unless they were not happy with the players development at the club. I certainly don't believe they would tell a player to join a certain club.

If being unhappy at a club is defined as being told you won't play higher level rugby while you remain at West Harbour by some well meaning, gin and tonic soaked blazer wearer from Waratah land then I dare say you might be right.

The player is not at fault here it's the system that permits it to happen that needs an overhaul NOW. Independant jurists need to be employed to find an equal distribution of talent across a competition that is quickly becoming insignificant and has only itself to blame. Entreched nepotism of the current officials whose only concern is looking after the best interests of thier club affiliation is obvious from the current farce that has 2 clubs with 30 players of S15 talent while others are lucky to scrape together 2 or 3. If a club goes down the path of trying to build from the bottom up they are slaughtered by the cannibals who like to stockpile thier benches with the best quality young players who one day may be somebody.

This is a similar attitude to American baseball where clubs put every talented player they can find on a contract and play the percentages that some will come through and that it denies other clubs the opportunity of developing unseen talent. One northern suburbs club is believed to be signing all colts players to 2 year minimum contracts to play with them but to also stop them leaving for other opportunity.

As to semi professionalism, my understanding is that this means you have something of value to sell/provide such as a test match providing entertainment. At colts level most would say that the best to offer here is potential. For god's sake people, there are 15 yr olds running around with managers asking for ridiculous fees. If these precocious little twats are so confident of thier ability then let them share the gate takings, that should cover the petrol home from Rat park or Forshaw.

But once again don't blame the players, blame the club officials who perpetuate the myth that Sydney club rugby can sustain any form of professional format. My respect goes to those that realise long term sustainability of thier club overshadows the need to have immediate levels of sucess at any cost to themselves or others. Many long time traditional clubs are going to the wall due to the percieved need to pay players to play. If they are that good then surely France is a more lucrative offer. Let them go, turn your back on professionalism at this level and maybe the players will have no reason to seek out other opportunity.

As far as I'm aware West harbour is one of the better managed clubs and has realised a profit over the past few seasons due to diligent efforts from many supporters and staff. To see a player of untapped but outstanding potential leave for any form of enticement is naturally disappointing but until someone takes control of the asylum that maquerades as NSW/SRU then we can set the IQ to record the UNI v Eastwood Fianls for the unseeable future.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Club Rugby is about to be destroyed if this shit continues. I also would have thought that Jeremy Sua would have gone OS as opposed to playing in the soon to be Shit Shield. Aust Schools, 20s and now Samoa. Surely he needs to employ a better agent.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Club Rugby is about to be destroyed if this shit continues. I also would have thought that Jeremy Sua would have gone OS as opposed to playing in the soon to be Shit Shield. Aust Schools, 20s and now Samoa. Surely he needs to employ a better agent.

Precisely what is the reason for the existence of the ARU?
This is how is should work: the ARU generates money through gates and TV, which it pays to the players it needs to do that. The purpose of generating the money is to fund the Shite Shield and the juniors. hence the Shite Shield (and its equivalents) are the real reason for the existence of the ARU. If they cant foster the game at its roots then they should hand it over to some people prepared to try.

T

Tahboy

Jeremy Sua is not joining Randwick
Players who have played 1st grade at other clubs carry points so maybe the points system needs looking at and to protect clubs at the bottom end have it that if you have a player from a team that finished bottom 6 the previous season then there is say a 10 point penalty?
But if a player wants to leave a club for what ever reason how do you stop him?
Wouldn't there be restraint of trade issues as there was in the league when they tried to implement the draft 20 years ago.
Gordon have issues about players leaving but aren't those issues bought on by themselves by trying to poach players from other clubs over the years
We are certainly in the silly season

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Club Rugby is dead lads (and Ladies)....simple as that. Uni will segway off as some sort of 'Academy' in the next few years, the other Clubs will fall into a promo/relegation park footy system with Subbies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Club Rugby is dead lads (and Ladies)....simple as that. Uni will segway off as some sort of 'Academy' in the next few years, the other Clubs will fall into a promo/relegation park footy system with Subbies.

And the gap will get larger between s15 and club and we will produce fewer players at s15 and above . . .

K

Keithy

I agree but it seems strange that anyone would go to Randwick thinking they will be paid. Randwick rugby club is broke and they can't pay the ground hire fees to the council.

B

Balcknred

You want someone to blame point the finger at the aru for not providing a comp between the various state club comps and super rugby , not everyone leaves for other clubs for money players are becoming increasingly aware that European clubs are only interested in players from the stronger Shute shield clubs so can you begrudge someone for the potential of a better opportunity

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree but it seems strange that anyone would go to Randwick thinking they will be paid. Randwick rugby club is broke and they can't pay the ground hire fees to the council.

The licensed club is in trouble, but the football club is going ok. Two separate things somehow!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I wonder what influence Stu Woodhouse had with Cummins making the move to Woodies. He was influentual in getting Cummins to Concord from Hills Sports HS when he was at WH. Now he is assistant 1st grade coach at the Woodies.

Woodhouse had NO influence on getting Steve from Hills Sports HS. The Pirates can thank the Tigers' junior coaching staff for that one: Steve tried out for the Tigers but they realised he was never going to make it in league, primarily due to his body shape, and suggested he try rugby at the Pirates (they share Concord Oval). Steve played Colts in 2009 and 10 and had little, or no, contact with Woodhouse in grade.

This is a quite unprincipled poach. If the Waratahs coaching staff had any influence on Steve moving to Eastwood they should be ashamed of themselves. And should be held to account.

Status
Not open for further replies.