• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I bet you wish it was but. For all its faults, schoolboy rugby is pretty special. I've never experiences the same atmosphere junior club games. I think the way forward is to turn every school into a rugby school, start small with 1 team in senior and then move to 1 team per grade, and then expand from there. As I said, the competitive structures are not in place, and there are simply not enough coaches and rugby people to go around, but you have to wonder what the powers that be are doing about this? Do they even try to push rugby in non traditional schools, or are they just resigned to the fact that its only ever going to be played at school by the privileged few...

I do wish it was, but my parents feel that an education specific to my religion is more important. I have decided that when I finish school and hopefully have a career and enough money sorted, I am going to return to my school and spearhead a rugby program.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I do wish it was, but my parents feel that an education specific to my religion is more important. I have decided that when I finish school and hopefully have a career and enough money sorted, I am going to return to my school and spearhead a rugby program.

All the best mate.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Vultures. How many kids growing up in Camperdown say this to their dad. When I grow up I want to play for Sydney Uni. None. Same goes for the other locally developed talent that plays for all Shute Shield Clubs.
We as loyal fans would like the players to stay local but I for one wouldn't blame a player for looking for a better opportunity financially as their shelflife is very limited. That said the Woodies team this year weren't filled with too many Epping Boys and Uni the same with the boys from Fort Street.
Yes , Eastwood , who drew heavily on players from other clubs to achieve success this season , seem to want to challenge Sydney Uni ,for the title of most unpopular club in the Shute Shield , by continuing to recruit from other clubs ,judging by their latest efforts in signing 2 well known young players developed by other clubs.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
By ESDRUFC Board
October 17, 2011
ESDRUFC is pleased to announce the appointment of Mark Bakewell as Director of Rugby and 1st Grade Coach for 2012.

Mark has had a past involvement with Easts having played over 100 1st XV games in the 1990s and having coached 1st Grade in 2000 and 2001.

In 2001 Mark and his family moved overseas and he coached extensively in the UK and France and more recently in 2011 was the assistant coach at the Melbourne Rebels in their inaugural season in the Super 14.

2012 will see the Bakewell family relocate to Sydney and Easts is delighted to welcome Mark back to the coaching ranks at Easts.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
By ESDRUFC Board
October 17, 2011
ESDRUFC is pleased to announce the appointment of Mark Bakewell as Director of Rugby and 1st Grade Coach for 2012.

Mark has had a past involvement with Easts having played over 100 1st XV games in the 1990s and having coached 1st Grade in 2000 and 2001.

In 2001 Mark and his family moved overseas and he coached extensively in the UK and France and more recently in 2011 was the assistant coach at the Melbourne Rebels in their inaugural season in the Super 14.

2012 will see the Bakewell family relocate to Sydney and Easts is delighted to welcome Mark back to the coaching ranks at Easts.

Bakewell has had reasonable success and will be a good fit at Easts as he has been there before. Would love to know why the Rebels canned him like a sardine though..............

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes , Eastwood , who drew heavily on players from other clubs to achieve success this season , seem to want to challenge Sydney Uni ,for the title of most unpopular club in the Shute Shield , by continuing to recruit from other clubs ,judging by their latest efforts in signing 2 well known young players developed by other clubs.

How have Eastwood Stolen players? I got a friend to help me with this but pretty sure its true. Grand Final team 15-1 .15-Batger Junior 14- Grant straight from school colt-13-Bennets Junior 12- Pikula eastwood junior-11-Turner - Junior 10-Hola - Stolen from 2nd Grade Parra 20109- White Taken from Canberra comp 8-MacCaffery- Junior 7-Alcock Stolen from Gordon 6- Perret Juniour- 5-Hand Junior, 4- Lees Junior, 3- Barry Fam....Stole from Uni Colts,2- Fitzpatrick - Junior,1- Longbottom- Stolen from perth

Seems like a lot of locals in that team Alcock is the only player stolen from another 1st grade team team...other players often used Josh Dunning- Junior, Tom Aexander Junior, Matt Dunning - Junior, Mark Frost- Junior, James Stannard- stolen from Perth, Jared Barry-Gordon

hard to see why they would be unpopular, also keep in mind they don't even have a full time coach like other clubs...

K

Keithy

I love how people discuss STOLEN PLAYERS. Players are not owned by the clubs. Most will have only a 1 year contract if that. Players are free to leave a club if they feel they can achieve more at another club.
1 of the players Eastwood have signed for 2012 is Steve Cummings from West Harbour.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Was informed that Cummins was told by Waratah officialdom that it was in his best interests to move as was Windon (no15) to Norths by the Rebels. By 2113 the SRU will have what it wants - a 4 to 6 team competition that the S15 clubs can use to keep players match fit when required. To survive you must grow not cannabalise one of the two remaining pathways from juniors to seniors.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
This is ridiculous, Is there even a point system. How is the Shute SHield going to be a successful competetive competition when players arent dispersed around to all the clubs.
Look at the Eastwood team now

1) Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2) Damien Fitzpatrick (Waratahs)
3) Ben Robinson (Waratahs)
4) Ben Hand (Brumbies)
5) Sam Wykes (Western Force)
6) Hugh Perrett (Waratahs)
7) Chris Alcock (Waratahs)
8) Lachlan McCaffrey (Western FOrce)
9) Nic White (Brumbies)
10) Pierre Hola (Ex Tonga)
11) Ben Batger (Waratahs)
12) Sione Pikula
13) Tim Bennetts (Junior Waratahs)
14) Lachie Turner (Waratahs)
15) James Stannard (Western Force)
16) Matt Dunning (Western Force)
17) Keiran Longbottom (Western Force)
18) Barry Faamausili (Italy)
19) Steve Cummins (Aus Schools Captain)

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
This is ridiculous, Is there even a point system. How is the Shute SHield going to be a successful competetive competition when players arent dispersed around to all the clubs.
Look at the Eastwood team now

1) Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2) Damien Fitzpatrick (Waratahs)
3) Ben Robinson (Waratahs)
4) Ben Hand (Brumbies)
5) Sam Wykes (Western Force)
6) Hugh Perrett (Waratahs)
7) Chris Alcock (Waratahs)
8) Lachlan McCaffrey (Western FOrce)
9) Nic White (Brumbies)
10) Pierre Hola (Ex Tonga)
11) Ben Batger (Waratahs)
12) Sione Pikula
13) Tim Bennetts (Junior Waratahs)
14) Lachie Turner (Waratahs)
15) James Stannard (Western Force)
16) Matt Dunning (Western Force)
17) Keiran Longbottom (Western Force)
18) Barry Faamausili (Italy)
19) Steve Cummins (Aus Schools Captain)

when did Faamausili play for Italy

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Was informed that Cummins was told by Waratah officialdom that it was in his best interests to move as was Windon (no15) to Norths by the Rebels. By 2113 the SRU will have what it wants - a 4 to 6 team competition that the S15 clubs can use to keep players match fit when required. To survive you must grow not cannabalise one of the two remaining pathways from juniors to seniors.

interesting comment. I have it on good authority that the Rebels did not advise Windon either way. They have also recommended some players from outside the Shute Shield actually join Parramatta so I think that shows that the Rebels in particular aren't that fussed which club the players play for.

Also had a very interesting conversation with a senior Western Force official last wednesday at ARU HQ. I raised the issue of players claiming they were directed by coaching staff to go to top 6 clubs.........the official was genuinely gob smacked at that suggestion. It was clearly the first he'd heard of it and his response was that he will be taking up the issue with the players and coaching staff.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I love how people discuss STOLEN PLAYERS. Players are not owned by the clubs. Most will have only a 1 year contract if that. Players are free to leave a club if they feel they can achieve more at another club.
1 of the players Eastwood have signed for 2012 is Steve Cummings from West Harbour.
Well thanks for that valuable piece of insight , I had no idea that was the case.
It's clear then , from your comment , that the officials ,supporters & all those people who donate a large part of their time , & physical & emotional energy ,in some cases for many years ,to sustaining their club & developing in
various ways their junior & senior players , should just shut up when said players are " influenced " to go elsewhere , & see the positives in the situation.
They should see their efforts as a service to Rugby & the other club ,where the player will "reach his real potential " in what must obviously be a superior environment. ( We all know that the coaches , etc. of the favored club
don't play any part in the process, it's simply a rational decision reached solely by the player concerned.)
And of course the benefits to the competition ,served by having all the best players congregating in just the "top" clubs should be obvious to all.
My mistake.
Sorry I mentioned it.

K

Keithy

Do you have proof that players are leaving due to super rugby influences? Success and money probably have a bigger influence.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Heard last night from one of the head coaches that the season will definitely be shortened next year. 16 or 18 games with finals in august.. Starting at the same time (april)::)

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If influencing means offering them better playing conditions than what they currently receive this is a reality and all part of playing semi-professional rugby.

if Eastwood have a contact that says Cummins was unhappy at Wests and they offer him more than what Wests were giving him then what is the problem. If Wests can't match it or make the player happy thats life. It is up to the player (or the player's agent) to get the best for the player. Obviously the best deal will be found with the more successful and more affluent clubs

You don't stay with a club that is being mismanaged or play under a coaching structure you believe is not suited to you and you have no influence over just because you are a junior product of that system. I don't believe that any franchise would be influencing a players decision unless they were not happy with the players development at the club. I certainly don't believe they would tell a player to join a certain club.

B

Bradley

I wonder what influence Stu Woodhouse had with Cummings making the move to Woodies. He was influentual in getting Cummings to Concord from Hills Sports HS when he was at WH. Now he is assistant 1st grade coach at the Woodies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So what if Woodhouse talked to Cummins. If Cummins has a previous connection to Woodhouse and he was unhappy at Wests then it makes sense for Woodhouse to seek out Cummins and find out if he was interested in playing for the Woodies.

Should Woodhouse stand back and say nothing?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think we all have a take on "reality", & all it's implications.
As someone who has a background with one of the top clubs & one of the less successful clubs , I think I know a little bit about reality.
I understand that Gordon are going through some tough times & I'm told can't pay their players next year.
Parramatta has also been through some tough times recently.
Both these clubs have some decent players , & a reality is that other clubs may see them as a vulnerable target for a bit of recruiting.
This in my mind raises the issue of the ethics of club recruiting ,& of those involved.
Ethical considerations aren't necessarily the bedfellows of reality of course.
But I would find it sad if the stronger clubs targeted the players from Gordon & Parramatta for example , & personally I would not sign them.
The issue is not about Steve Cummins in particular , although from what I have been told his situation is not quite what some might assume .
We can all take a look at the Shute Shield competition & all it's many deficiencies & say "well that is reality,just accept it "
I would like to think that we can do a little better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.