• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
was having a squizz at the club websites this morning and stumbled across this golden nugget on the Easts website.

For some silly reason, they are keeping and posting a roll call of training attendees.

Is this to shame the absentees into attending?

Is it to brag about who is attending?

Seems to me like they may have a number of worrying underlying issues here.

Am I looking into it too much?

http://www.eastsrugby.com.au/pre-season-2012/
I noticed Phil Mathers name wasnt listed

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
As reported on another thread. Jeremy Sua to the Crusaders. I still dont know how this guy never got a start. I imagine this might not have been the case had he stayed at Uni.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
As reported on another thread. Jeremy Sua to the Crusaders. I still dont know how this guy never got a start. I imagine this might not have been the case had he stayed at Uni.
Great kid. Deserves everything he gets.

When fit, he is simply fabulous.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
He represented the SSW zone for 4 years at the CHS carnival and played schools for those who aren't in the know. Problem was he was moved from half to flyhalf and back to half. It wasn't the Waratah's fault that he was overlooked. They were too busy ignoring Sam Wykes and Sitiveni Mafi's ability.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
He represented the SSW zone for 4 years at the CHS carnival and played schools for those who aren't in the know. Problem was he was moved from half to flyhalf and back to half. It wasn't the Waratah's fault that he was overlooked. They were too busy ignoring Sam Wykes and Sitiveni Mafi's ability.

Unfortunately Tahs have a long history of getting selection wrong then sticking with the wrong selection until hte player retires of old age

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Unfortunately Tahs have a long history of getting selection wrong then sticking with the wrong selection until hte player retires of old age
You're spot on there. If Sua, Wykes, Mafi played at Uni, theyd be a waratah or rebel for sure. Sua now wit Crusaders, Wykes now a leader at the Force and Mafi now a wirld class player in the UK. Pat McCabe is another example as well as Hugh Perrett who has been a consistent performer for yrs

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The 'conveyor belt' of talent that sydney uni produce is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.....if you keep saying its the best rugby nursery clubs will only look to it and let's be honest although it has produced some fantastic players there are a few players who have gotten to where they are on the back of their sydney uni jersey. Not to say these players aren't good but i am sure if AJ Gilbert, Hugh Perrett, Ben Batger and rohan saifoloi they would be in even better postions then they are now.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The 'conveyor belt' of talent that sydney uni produce is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy...if you keep saying its the best rugby nursery clubs will only look to it and let's be honest although it has produced some fantastic players there are a few players who have gotten to where they are on the back of their sydney uni jersey. Not to say these players aren't good but i am sure if AJ Gilbert, Hugh Perrett, Ben Batger and rohan saifoloi they would be in even better postions then they are now.

It's an interesting phenomena isn't it?
I guess you could have said the same thing about Randwick in the past and until recently it was often said that NSW cricketers got handed a baggy green cap at the same time they got their blue cap for NSW.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Unfortunately, many of our so-called 'talent scouts' would rather shop at the department store than scouring around the boutiques.

So if you want to get picked up, you need to be on the shelf in the department store.

My 12 year old son said to me the other day that he 'was going to play for Eastwood until he was good enough to get picked up by Uni'.

Considering he played reps for West Harbour this year, they're not even on the radar!

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Its Pretty sad state of affairs really and all it does it create a vacuum.....I personally think contracted players should be assigned to clubs to curb this effect. I am sure more players would rock up Penrith if they have an option of playing with people like Drew Mitchell and Berrick Barnes. But before you say but they grew up playing for that club, i say it should be taken into consideration but they are now employees of NSWRU and shouldn't play favourites, as playing to club alliances is what got Shute Shield in to its current mess in the first place

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Well said that man.

Who pays the Piper should be calling the tune. With such limited clubland time for the Contracted Players, is it not better that they are used to spread the gospel according to St William Webb-Ellis rather than remaining within the walls of the Vatican City equivalent, and preaching to the converted?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
^^ Well said that man.

Who pays the Piper should be calling the tune. With such limited clubland time for the Contracted Players, is it not better that they are used to spread the gospel according to St William Webb-Ellis rather than remaining within the walls of the Vatican City equivalent, and preaching to the converted?

So the Super Season finishes, the top 5 is in place, and the Super Players are sent back to the Emu's and the like - is that solving the problem??

The point I'm making - it is not an easy fix.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Realistically they should send players like Crawford and Lucas who would actually play some game and then give them a token player like Barnes who would help with juniors. It wouldn't be that hard for the NSWRU to do....they just don't want to.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Realistically they should send players like Crawford and Lucas who would actually play some game and then give them a token player like Barnes who would help with juniors. It wouldn't be that hard for the NSWRU to do..they just don't want to.

A 3rd Tier comp may also plateau out the problem, and also increase improvement through competition.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Are you willing to wait 3-5 years to find out? or rephrase do you think Penrith can wait 3-5 years to find out? Or do you think they would benefit more from someone stepping in and making a genuine stand for them. Although a third tier comp is needed clubs like Penrith need players and money now. If NSWRU actively direct players to lower clubs or say that they will take a certain number of players from lower clubs into their academy that would be better, than saying we have a third tier competition on the way by 2015-2016 we will put about hundreds of thousands into it and if you can hold on you will eventually reap some benefit.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I hear that the Mark Hartill and friends of Gordon) led ticket was appointed to the board. The appears to be through mediation, some sort of truce and a united front for Gordon has occurred. I understand that UTS are the new jersey sponsor and there is a massive colts push. Not sure re the merger of the licences club at this stage but sounda like it is progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.