• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Just curious to know about the Australian Barbarians team that plays every year with players selected from the shute shield. how many games do they play, who are the coaches and how do players get selected?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Just curious to know about the Australian Barbarians team that plays every year with players selected from the shute shield. how many games do they play, who are the coaches and how do players get selected?

Interesting question. Looking forward to the reply

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Have noticed the new Penrith Coach is Teki Tuipulotu. From memory he's been a bit of 'journeyman' in terms of both his coaching and playing career. Neither here nor there of course, but I seem to recall he had a lot of discipline issues coaching a Subbies club a few years back where he was cited for referee abuse......as a coach.

Is this what Penrith really need?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Have noticed the new Penrith Coach is Teki Tuipulotu. From memory he's been a bit of 'journeyman' in terms of both his coaching and playing career. Neither here nor there of course, but I seem to recall he had a lot of discipline issues coaching a Subbies club a few years back where he was cited for referee abuse..as a coach.

Is this what Penrith really need?
Probably all they can afford!
I doubt they were inundated with candidates.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Had a friend tell me to have a look at the Randwick coaching setup that's now on the club website. He was blowing up
Head coach brother is 3rd grade coach- never coached before
The father is manager and his best mate is managing 1st grade
Unless your from Scots or Stallion rugby or related to the head coach or his mate your services to the club no matter your history with the club you are no longer welcome. Jeff Sayle has some made up to keep him happy role and Simon Poidevan is agreeing to it all and it was his decision to bring back John Maxwell which was a disaster.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Wicks have to do something to get out of the cellar. Sounds like a real Hail Mary but it could work. It couldn't be much worse than Season 2012 for them could it?

There may not be too much sympathy for the Wicks on these threads, but Australian Rugby needs a strong and competetive Wicks, as well as a strong and competetive Gordon, and 2 Blues, Rats, Hobbits ....etc

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hugh, the sad reality is the SS is a two tiered competition.
The top 5/6 are a standard deviation above the others.
IIRC there have always been 2 or so teams that struggled in the SS, but never 1/2 the comp.
It seems to me that fewer future rep players are cutting their teeth in the SS, it is more a second chance proving ground rather than the primary source from which the provinces draw talent from.( I am referring to the grade comp not colts)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Had a friend tell me to have a look at the Randwick coaching setup that's now on the club website. He was blowing up
Unless your from Scots or Stallion rugby or related to the head coach or his mate your services to the club no matter your history with the club you are no longer welcome. Jeff Sayle has some made up to keep him happy role and Simon Poidevan is agreeing to it all and it was his decision to bring back John Maxwell which was a disaster.

I hope they end up with more players than coaches / support staff!
Interesting that Stephen Hoiles has been replaced as Director of Rugby (whatever that is) after just a few months in the role, by a guy who played lower grade for many years at Randwick and (I think) Sydney University. I wonder what his qualifications are?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^^ As a former Wallaby, and long term S15 player, Stephen Hoiles was clearly skilled in the art of execution of the skills of Webb-Ellis, but what qualifications as a coach/manager/director did he have to be appointed as Director of Rugby?

It was an appointment which surprised me somewhat.

Exactly what at Shute Shield Club Level does a Director of Rugby do?

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)

This isn't just a Randwick issue. It is very dificult to recruit lower grade coaches these days. I reckon it's because lower grade coaching is no longer necessarily a pathway to First grade. These days, retiring Super players expect to slot in at first grade level without developing their coaching skills in the lower grades.

I'm not saying ex Super players don't bring something significant to the table, it just provides a disincentive for guys aspiring to coach without those credentials.

The other thing is that the way a number of club of administrations behave towards their coaches, you'd think they grew on trees.

Commitment is a two-way street.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)

The head coach is always going to appoint people he knows, has worked with in the past or would like to work with. I for one don't have much of an issue in giving him the 'keys to the city'. After all, he'll be punted quick smart if they don't win matches. It's similar to what the Tahs have done with Cheika. It's his head on the block.

From speaking with a number of people around the traps, I think Randwick will have much bigger issues if the GM stays.
As for Hoiles going, that's an interesting one. I thought he was represented by Stallion Rugby, so there may have been a falling out there.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
was having a squizz at the club websites this morning and stumbled across this golden nugget on the Easts website.

For some silly reason, they are keeping and posting a roll call of training attendees.

Is this to shame the absentees into attending?

Is it to brag about who is attending?

Seems to me like they may have a number of worrying underlying issues here.

Am I looking into it too much?

http://www.eastsrugby.com.au/pre-season-2012/

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
Does the 2013 SS draw depend on what's happening at the end of season (e.g. a national club championship, or ARC, etc)? And does that depend on the outcome of the Arbib Review and the potential extraordinary meeting in December?

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
was having a squizz at the club websites this morning and stumbled across this golden nugget on the Easts website.

For some silly reason, they are keeping and posting a roll call of training attendees.

Is this to shame the absentees into attending?

Is it to brag about who is attending?

Seems to me like they may have a number of worrying underlying issues here.

Am I looking into it too much?

http://www.eastsrugby.com.au/pre-season-2012/

Bakewell's past success has been linked heavily to a 'train hard, win easy' philosophy. From my understanding, he demands exceptional commitment from the playing group, as he has a great attention to detail both technically and physiologically- particularly when he was coaching with Brian Smith.

He sets high standards, and expects his players to reach them.

I like that he's telling the world who's doing the work, and who isn't.

On the other hand, he's showing his hand to other clubs. If absentees are in the majority, it could backfire.

But overall, I admire his courage.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bakewell's past success has been linked heavily to a 'train hard, win easy' philosophy. From my understanding, he demands exceptional commitment from the playing group, as he has a great attention to detail both technically and physiologically- particularly when he was coaching with Brian Smith.

He sets high standards, and expects his players to reach them.

I like that he's telling the world who's doing the work, and who isn't.

On the other hand, he's showing his hand to other clubs. If absentees are in the majority, it could backfire.

But overall, I admire his courage.
I'll second that, Andrew. Here's a man who's not afraid to let it all hang out. 23 at Club training Thursday night and 19 on Saturday.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The head coach is always going to appoint people he knows, has worked with in the past or would like to work with. I for one don't have much of an issue in giving him the 'keys to the city'. After all, he'll be punted quick smart if they don't win matches. It's similar to what the Tahs have done with Cheika. It's his head on the block.
Your analogy of course, Knuckles, doesn't hold for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.