• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Grayson

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm exited to see Brandon Quinn step up from Colts into 1st Grade agaisnt the Rats this week. This bloke has speed to burn and incredibly fast feet. Vesi Tokalaulevu is out

Gibbo just a reminder he's on loan and I need him back next week! :)
Brandon is a wonderful young man not only with skill but maturity and a decent level of humbleness. A Wahroonga Tiger from day 1 and an example of our tighter relationship with the village clubs.
Selectors take note you missed an opportunity for an U20s star but its not too late he has a younger brother just finishing off Y12 and taking Brandons place in colts 1s this weekend.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
The game should be a beauty. Randwick will be rank outsiders based on Manlys form against Uni IMO. Am thinking Randwick may struggle against the big Manly pack.

Phil Blake's no dill. I'm betting he'll be sending a LOT of traffic Horwitz and Connor's way all game. I know I would be. A lot of those big Manly forwards will fold around the corner and commit Horwitz defensively then unleash that big unit Gilmore onto Connor with Sefanaia/Hooper or Sefanaia/Woodhouse off his hip. Could be a cricket score.

I for one still can't believe Horwitz got to where he got to. And now he's in Randwick's 1st Grade as the starting 10.

GPS cattle trading continues!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Phil Blake's no dill. I'm betting he'll be sending a LOT of traffic Horwitz and Connor's way all game. I know I would be. A lot of those big Manly forwards will fold around the corner and commit Horwitz defensively then unleash that big unit Gilmore onto Connor with Sefanaia/Hooper or Sefanaia/Woodhouse off his hip. Could be a cricket score.

I for one still can't believe Horwitz got to where he got to. And now he's in Randwick's 1st Grade as the starting 10.

Interesting prediction Knuckles!
For the record, the Wicks are conceding 25 points per game v the best (Eastwood) with 19 so the defence has been reasonable. Wicks attack is second only to Eastwood (ie 42 v 33).
Comparing Wicks v Manly:
For = 333 (Wicks) v 301 (Manly)
Agst = both 249
But these are only stats and don't mean a thing on the day!

runningrugby

Frank Row (1)
Warringah v Gordon @

Northern Suburbs v Eastwood @ North Sydney Oval (3pm)
Northern Suburbs: 1 Nick Curtis, 2 Will Weeks, 3 Nick Lah (C), 4 Michael O’Hea, 5 Chris Thompson, 6 Ben Matwijow, 7 Sam Figg, 8 AJ Gilbert, 9 Michael Dowsett, 10 Scott Daruda, 11 Corey Brown, 12 Bill Meakes, 13 Peter Schuster, 14 Liam Windon, 15 Cam Crawford.

Sydney University v West Harbour @ Sydney Uni. Oval 1. (3pm)
Sydney University: 1 Jeremy Tilse, 2 James Willan, 3 Paddy Ryan, 4 Will Skelton, 5 Ollie Atkins, 6 Liam Windon, 7 David Hickey, 8 Tom Boidin (C), 9 Jake Gordon, 10 Daniel Kelly, 11 Greg Jeloudev, 12 Tom Carter, 13 Jim Stuart, 14 James Dargaville, 15 Tom Kingston.

Liam Windon has his work cut out this week. Playing 14 for Norths and 6 for Uni.

Seriously though, happy to see Liam Winton (the Uni version) back at 6. IMHO he is a touch short for the 2nd row.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Not the best conditions for cricket hope they have the covers on the pitch at coogee

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the Galloping Greens are now the "Pretty in Pinks".

Great to support charity but what price is dignity worth?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fabian Natoli (Manly #9) joins the Shute Shield 1st Grade in the first year out of school Club.

Looks composed as well in pretty tough conditions for a #9 at Coogee Oval.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Manly played the conditions much better then the wicks for a deserved valuable bonus point win. Knuckles very harsh on Horowitz close to our best in the previous 5 games and handled himself well out there with limited opportunity

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Manly played the conditions much better then the wicks for a deserved valuable bonus point win. Knuckles very harsh on Horowitz close to our best in the previous 5 games and handled himself well out there with limited opportunity

Geez Knuckles I thought Horwitz played a very mature game in utterly shithouse conditions.
First time I've seen him in a proper contest and I thought he did pretty well.
My take was the Randwick tried to play the first half like it was bone dry and after that it was too late.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Results
Randwick 5 Manly 23
Warringah 24 Gordon 23
Penrith 10 Easts 35
Norths 8 Eastwood 21
Southern 60 Parramatta 14
Uni 41 West Harbour 3

Table after Rnd 11
Woodies 46
Uni 41
Hobbits 37
Pirates 35
MMM 35
Beasties 35
Wicks (Pretty in Pink) 28
Mighty 2 Blues 25
Shoreman 24
Rats 23
Gay Gordons 7
Emus 3

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ABC TV Presenter - "Monsoonal conditions at Coogee Oval"

Having lived through several monsoon seasons in the 80's, I feel that I am competent enough to call Bullsh!t on that one.

Monsoonal Rain when it is heavy is unbelievably heavy, although it can also just rain and rain and rain, and then when all the rain has gone, it rains again. It is warm during the monsoon.

Coogee oval was cold with moderately heavy showers. That is what I recall of Scotland and Eastern Central Europe. Hard to get much further than that from the "Monsoon".

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
You wouldn't think that Natoli and Horwitz were schoolboys last year. Very well played by both under the circumstances. Also glad to see Hingano and BJ back. Hopefully they can stay off the injured list. Also I don't think any of the S15 teams would be damaged by having Lam or Ale on their playing roster.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You wouldn't think that Natoli and Horwitz were schoolboys last year. Very well played by both under the circumstances. Also glad to see Hingano and BJ back. Hopefully they can stay off the injured list. Also I don't think any of the S15 teams would be damaged by having Lam or Ale on their playing roster.
A preseason with a professional franchise is what lam desperately needs with increase fitness he could be anything. Ale was impressive. Not normally a big fan of sigg to be honest but he was very good too

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
It would have been nice if Sigg had been given sometime last year at the Brumbies. I spoke to him after a recent Manly game and he had no sour grapes. He said he'd go overseas again but probably thought that other players might be higher in the pecking order. Anyway he is a very good player and a good bloke.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You can add a few more into that list of recent schoolboys stepping up to Grade ranks with poise.

Debreczeni (Trinity - CAS & West Harbour) Jed Holloway (Wav - CAS & Hobbits) spring to mind.

For the Uni and GPS haters, and tin hat wearers, these boys have achieved this standing despite the evil wand of influence that is the Uni Colts machine that somehow has destroyed Shute Shield competition.

CLub programmes have improved in recent years and while many are still behind Uni, they are significantly better than they were 5-10 years ago. Uni set the benchmark and now others are catching up. Rugby is better for this.

The Woodies are looking good for a GF appearance.

EDIT: spring to ming ??? FFS. I knew what I wanted to type.

Status
Not open for further replies.