• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
With the big gap between games in Super Rugby,I notice the Waratahs players have returned to club rugby but the Force in particular has not released its players to either Shute Shield or even Perth Rugby. What benefit can be gained by having players training and watching rugby instead of playing in the Shute Shield to drive their skills?

Morton. ditto re Wallabies in camp for 3 weeks before the Lions test!

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
The game at Warringah was a heart breaker on the weekend. Similar to the Easts game way too much ill-discipline resulted in Goals being pinged from everywhere and an 11 point lead was destroyed.

It's tough for this young team to take but we are showing we can score tries. Just lacking some experience to close out these games. It's not far away though

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The game at Warringah was a heart breaker on the weekend. Similar to the Easts game way too much ill-discipline resulted in Goals being pinged from everywhere and an 11 point lead was destroyed.

It's tough for this young team to take but we are showing we can score tries. Just lacking some experience to close out these games. It's not far away though

Gibbo, it's really interesting to see most clubs giving young guys a go in first grade and by and large they are performing above expectations. This is great for rugby but a real challenge to the Waratah management. They can only sign so many and the rest will be lost to the other S15 teams. It will be fascinating to see who gets signed over the next couple of years.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I agree Pete, I thought Horwitz was the Wicks best player and handled the conditions and the scoreline with maturity beyond his years. I don't believe he made any serious mistakes and the quality of his passing in the conditions was amazing. His effort to almost stop Milroy from scoring also showed he has the ability to react quickly under pressure.
Best on the paddock however was his opposite number, Milroy. I thought he played the conditions perfectly and time after time set up field position for the Manly forwards to do their stuff. Definitely the player for the conditions.
The Wicks scrum also held up very well.
Agree with you Coach. Horwitz did well. Cant help but think the Wicks just got bogged and that the tactics were unhelpful to their cause. The set pieces were even which reflects well on the Wicks pack - watched the ABC replay and they initially criticised the line out however the stats at the end showed it was even.
The bigger Manly piggies out slugged the Wicks a few times however feel that a dry track may see them outrun the Manly forwards if they play again. Manly did impress.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree with you Coach. Horwitz did well. Cant help but think the Wicks just got bogged and that the tactics were unhelpful to their cause. The set pieces were even which reflects well on the Wicks pack - watched the ABC replay and they initially criticised the line out however the stats at the end showed it was even.
The bigger Manly piggies out slugged the Wicks a few times however feel that a dry track may see them outrun the Manly forwards if they play again. Manly did impress.

Yep, Manly had the game plan for the conditions and Milroy and the forwards executed it to perfection.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
With the big gap between games in Super Rugby,I notice the Waratahs players have returned to club rugby but the Force in particular has not released its players to either Shute Shield or even Perth Rugby. What benefit can be gained by having players training and watching rugby instead of playing in the Shute Shield to drive their skills?

The attitude of the Force is a farce. The spies say it is not a happy camp over there either.

Although the Rebels have been a little erratic in their release of players (not helping the MMM's at times) there seems to an acceptance of the Cheika view of the world there that the more higher quality club rugby the playing group gets in off weeks the better.

I may be wrong but the Force farce has the capacity to impact the Woodies more than any other SS club?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree Pete, I thought Horwitz was the Wicks best player and handled the conditions and the scoreline with maturity beyond his years. I don't believe he made any serious mistakes and the quality of his passing in the conditions was amazing. His effort to almost stop Milroy from scoring also showed he has the ability to react quickly under pressure.
Best on the paddock however was his opposite number, Milroy. I thought he played the conditions perfectly and time after time set up field position for the Manly forwards to do their stuff. Definitely the player for the conditions.
The Wicks scrum also held up very well.
Hurt just that little bit more that he is an EX Wicks player as well. Must say didnt have a big wrap on him but you are dead right he was the best player out there. Funny sort of game in that regard although soundly beaten you wouldnt say that anyone in particular had a bad game from randwick. Manly just took the game away from them.

The back three had a bit of a tough time of it but you could hardly blame them!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not a complaint because I definitely personally benefit but how are the match of the day on ABC decided on. Are they pre scheduled before the season? If so the Wicks are lucky to have 2 weeks in a row after last year?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Maybe some perverted ploy by Foley to have the bone pointed at the players rather than himself. Anyway, agree they should be running around in SS.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Not a complaint because I definitely personally benefit but how are the match of the day on ABC decided on. Are they pre scheduled before the season? If so the Wicks are lucky to have 2 weeks in a row after last year?

Peter, I wondered the same thing.
I'm thought the Wests v Uni match was probably the pick of the round and probably Uni v Easts this coming weekend. I'm also puzzled as to why the Wicks have two matches in a row and this was known 3 weeks ago.
I know a few years ago the ABC announced they were going to try to give all teams a go on TV in the early rounds of the comp, but would then pick the best Saturday match every week.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Peter, I wondered the same thing.
I'm thought the Wests v Uni match was probably the pick of the round and probably Uni v Easts this coming weekend. I'm also puzzled as to why the Wicks have two matches in a row and this was known 3 weeks ago.
I know a few years ago the ABC announced they were going to try to give all teams a go on TV in the early rounds of the comp, but would then pick the best Saturday match every week.
Easts V Uni is on Sunday

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Uni No 1 oval, St pauls oval, St Johns oval, Uni No2 Oval, Redfern oval, Erskineville oval, wentworth park, Drummoyne oval..

There are stacks of ovals.

Uni need to get off their arse and engage with their local demographic.

There are high schools and primary schools, private and public in your area,

Foster and Grow the game. It is in your charter. MAKE IT HAPPEN. The ARU, SJRU and SRU are not going to do it for you. They are useless.

2-3 years ago they approached the people who run these ovals and were turned down. They either are already booked by schools, or clubs. With soccer, AFL and league on them. don't know the situation these days.

Morton

Frank Nicholson (4)
The attitude of the Force is a farce. The spies say it is not a happy camp over there either.

Although the Rebels have been a little erratic in their release of players (not helping the MMM's at times) there seems to an acceptance of the Cheika view of the world there that the more higher quality club rugby the playing group gets in off weeks the better.

I may be wrong but the Force farce has the capacity to impact the Woodies more than any other SS club?

Certainly hurts to see so many of our highly skilled players sitting around twiddling their thumbs instead of playing rugby which is why they took up the sport. Its actions like this that make you doubt the value of S15 to developing rugby. Thankfully Eastwood has good player depth to be achieving the results so far and its a credit to the lower grade and colts coaches for the job they have been doing.
Dont know enough to comment on the "not a happy camp" but I cant imagine any rugby player being happy about not being allowed to play.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Uni No 1 oval, St pauls oval, St Johns oval, Uni No2 Oval, Redfern oval, Erskineville oval, wentworth park, Drummoyne oval..

There are stacks of ovals.

Uni need to get off their arse and engage with their local demographic.

There are high schools and primary schools, private and public in your area,

Foster and Grow the game. It is in your charter. MAKE IT HAPPEN. The ARU, SJRU and SRU are not going to do it for you. They are useless.

Why would they?
They do not struggle for cattle.
To be fair new grassroots stuff is really dependent on parents and their kids networks, to start new teams, let alone clubs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the forecast looking like?

Any grounds looking dodgy? Around the venues, some lower grade games and colts may be moved, or postponed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe some perverted ploy by Foley to have the bone pointed at the players rather than himself. Anyway, agree they should be running around in SS.

Bone pointing?
Pay attention Spieber. Things are going fan fucking tastic over there.
Just look at the stats in each game.They win possession, territory and errors stats every time they go around.
Or are you one of those one dimensional Tah's supporters who moan about the scoreboard? The score is just one of the many measures that "Foles" uses in his post match analysis.
In fact I understand that he believes the scoreboard to be a somewhat dated analytical tool.
So much so he ignores that stat on most occasions, and very rarely comments on it.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Saturday June 29
West Harbour v Gordon @ Concord Oval (3pm)
West Harbour: 1 David Lolohea, 2 Reg De Jager (c), 3 Vaughan Lomax, 4 Alfred Pinomi, 5 Chris Simons, 6 Aisea Namoa, 7 Cohen Masson, 8 Matt Coles, 9 David Osofua, 10 Jack Debreczeni, 11 Tito Mua, 12 Winston Wilson, 13 Henry Seavula, 14 Macquire Tatola, 15 Shaun Treweek
Gordon: 1 Tobias Gukibau (c), 2 Ronald Hobden, 3 Salesi Maumalanga, 4 Roni Scarano, 5 Mark Johnson, 6 Mark Williams, 7 Gordon Broome, 8 Luke Rissman, 9 Terry Preston (VC), 10 Erik Moss, 11 Vesi Tokalaulevu, 12 Tom Matthews, 13 Lucas Simkin, 14 Matthew Mcdougal, 15 Mark Preston
Referee: Richard Goswell
Randwick v Eastwood @ Coogee Oval (3pm) (ABCTV GAME)
Randwick: 1 Faitotoa Asa, 2 Patrick Hodgetts, 3 Richard Aho, 4 Geoff Ingram, 5 William Munro, 6 Seilala Lam (c), 7 Tom Connor, 8 Nathan Paila, 9 Harrison Boileau, 10 David Horwitz, 11 Ethan Ford, 12 Pete Samu, 13 Terrence Hepetema, 14 Timothy Wright, 15 Rennie Lautolo
Eastwood: 1 Jed Gillespie, 2 Damien Fitzpatrick, 3 Marty Plokstys, 4 Jared Barry, 5 Mitch Lees, 6 Hugh Perrett (c), 7 Hugh Roach, 8 Locky McCaffrey, 9 Shanin Proctor, 10 Jimmy Hilgendorf, 11 Nick Batger, 12 Michael McDougall, 13 Cam Mitchell, 14 Nick Reily, 15 Ben Batger
Referee: Rohan Hoffman
Southern Districts v Warringah @ Forshaw Rugby Park (3pm)
Southern Districts: 1 Duncan Chubb, 2 Steve Fualau, 3 Tim Metcher, 4 Jake Douglas, 5 Luke Smart, 6 Lopeti Timani, 7 Jono Hayes (c), 8 Jed Holloway, 9 Grayson Hart, 10 Rohan Saifoloi, 11 Alex Gibbon, 12 Rayhan Laulala, 13 Faleula Finau, 14 Ollie Ngungutau, 15 Ben Volavola
Warringah: 1 Ben Ryan, 2 Luke Holmes (c), 3 Luke Preston, 4 Ben Adams, 5 Vincent Wright, 6 Sam Ward, 7 Mark Porpiglia, 8 Boyd Killingworth, 9 Joshua Holmes, 10 David Harvey, 11 Brad Dixon, 12 Hamish Angus, 13 Michael Adams, 14 Edward Doyle, 15 David Feltscheer
Referee: Damien Mitchelmore
Manly v Parramatta @ Manly Oval (3pm)
Manly: 1 Jimmy Gentle, 2 Dave Porecki, 3 Tim Fairbrother (c), 4 Ryan Melrose, 5 Dylan Sigg, 6 Harry Bergelin, 7 Kotoni Ale, 8 Daniel Alley, 9 Fabian Natoli, 10 Marshall Milroy, 11 Richard Hooper, 12 Peter Gilmore, 13 Malietoa Hingano, 14 Jacob Woodhouse, 15 Tom Chesters
Parramatta: 1 Nick Blacklock, 2 Myles Hunkin, 3 Mika Polota Nau, 4 Charlie Leaeno, 5 Adam Coleman, 6 Josh Kaifa, 7 Rodney Ma’a, 8 Andrew Cox (c). 9 Kaleb Rech, 10 Tom Woods, 11 Lani Tiatia, 12 Tukia Muli, 13 Damien Fakafanua, 14 Iese Leota, 15 Dan Rawaqa
Referee: Michael Hogan
Northern Suburbs v Penrith @ North Sydney Oval
Northern Suburbs: 1 Daniel Murray, 2 Will Weeks, 3 Karl Truijens, 4 Michael O’Hea, 5 Ben Matwijow, 6 Hugh Sinclair, 7 Sam Figg, 8 AJ Gilbert (c), 9 Michael Dowsett, 10 Scott Daruda, 11 Corey Brown, 12 Elih Baillie, 13 Bill Meakes, 14 Peter Schuster, 15 Liam Windon
Penrith: 1 Peter Niumata, 2 Kerren Straker, 3 Nigel Vaifale, 4 David Reopoama, 5 Iosua Tonga, 6 Leo Burgess, 7 Pita Tupou, 8 Willie Tooala, 9 Solomona Silipa, 10 Siaa`Taveuveu (c), 11 Paula Katoa, 12 Henry Lilomaiava, 13 Kampo Sione, 14 Fokolulu Taumalolo, 15 Campbell Hislop
Referee: William Houston
Sunday June 30 June
Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs @ Sydney University Oval No. 1 (3pm)
Sydney University: 1 Jeremy Tilse, 2 James Willan, 3 Paddy Ryan, 4 Will Skelton, 5 Ollie Atkins, 6 Liam Winton, 7 David Hickey, 8 Tom Boidin (c) 9 Jake Gordon, 10 Stuart Dunbar, 11 Greg Jeloudev, 12 Tom Carter, 13 Jim Stewart, 14 James Dargaville, 15 Tom Kingston
Eastern Suburbs: 1 Sione Kolo, 2 Alex Walker, 3 Rob McMickan, 4 Richard Stanford, 5 Phil Mathers, 6 Pauliasi Taumoepeau (c), 7 Ryan Hodson, 8 Andrew Shaw, 9 Brendan McKibbin, 10 Henry Hudson, 11 Elijah Niko, 12 Angus Sinclair, 13 Apakuki Ma'afu, 14 Anton Lavin, 15 Damon Anderson
Referee: James Leckie

Status
Not open for further replies.