• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Both Eastwood and Randwick have depth through the clubs.
Eastwood have the benefit of greater experience in first grade and were on average about 3 years older and somewhat heavier across the park or so it seemed.
The Eastwood backs were very well organised ,so I thought the Wicks backs did well against them and will grow from the experience.
The Eastwood forwards were very good and played the gain line well so the smaller Wicks forwards did well to negate some of Eastwoods go forward.
The large forwards coming round the corner were impressive and quick so I thought the Wicks defence did well.
wicks scrum and line out also held up which defied the size difference.
Eastwood are deserved top of the table team and now having seen all teams, they should be there on the final game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
lily and 2bluesfan yeah a wet weather spectacle at both venues. 2 clubs doing the right things but slightly different ways and at different stages of the journey.
Caught the 2nd half of 3s, Manly was dominant in the forward back, and very strong on foot. Their 2 try lead at the break was brought home in the second half. Very fitting end to the game, both teams formed a circle and had a good chat - club rugby.
Only saw the first half of twos as the kids changed their mind with the rain, bonus point first half. Strong dominant forward back, and the backs had their passes stick. Good to get a win after 2 losses, Woodies next week.
Ones played well, this time they won the collision, and the defence was good.
Front row layed the foundation,
Contested a number of line outs on the Parra throw and this won us crucial ball.
A number of kicks didn't find touch, or went out on the full, but a well placed kick created our first try.
Kotoni had a stellar game.
Malie was huge in defence, and had some good runs.
Chesters was very sound at the back, how's the injury?
Parra scored 2 quick tries when our replacements were made, great to see 2 young colts make their grade debut.

Woodies next week, and hopefully some sun.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saturday June 29
West Harbour v Gordon @ Concord Oval (3pm)
Tipped West Harbour by 7-12
Actual Pirates by 20
West Harbour 26 (Alofa Alofa 2, David Lolohea, Alfred Pinomi tries; Jack Debrczeni 3 cons) d Gordon 6(Terry Preston 2 pens)

Randwick v Eastwood @ Coogee Oval (3pm) (ABCTV GAME)
Tipped Eastwood by 10-20
(Actual Woodies by 22)
Eastwood 29 (Mark Frost, Cam Mitchell, Hugh Perrett, Hugh Roach tries; Pierre Holla 3 cons, pen) d Randwick 7 (Drew Mitchell try; Harrison Boileau con)

Southern Districts v Warringah @ Forshaw Rugby Park (3pm)
Tipped Southern Districts by 20+
(Actual Hobbits by 27)
Southern Districts 44 (Grayson Hart, Sam Latinupulu, Rohan Saifoloi, Lopeti Timani, Ben Volavola tries; Rohan Saifoloi 5 cons, 3 pens) d Warringah 17 (Michael Adams, Brad Dixon, Sam Ward tries; David Harvey con)

Manly v Parramatta @ Manly Oval (3pm)
Tipped Manly by 12-20
(Actual Manly by 19)
Manly 33 (Kotoni Ale, Marshall Milroy, Jacob Woodhouse 3 tries; Tom Chesters con, 2 pens) d Parramatta 14(Andrew Cox, Damien Fakafanua tries; Dan Rawaqa 2 cons

Northern Suburbs v Penrith @ North Sydney Oval
Tipped Northern Suburbs by 16-20
Postponed

Sunday June 30 June
Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs @ Sydney University Oval No. 1 (3pm)
Tipped Sydney University by 8-10
later today

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I liked Nugget Helliwell's play today. Consistently good clean service and he wasn't tempted to try to dart for the line against a sound ruck defence.
Agree with you Bruce - Nugget seemed to get them all on the front foot with a little more space. Good to see also that you don't hold a grudge against former Uni players plying their trade at rival clubs.

Morton

Frank Nicholson (4)
Eastwood really looking the goods this year and still some huge talent to return with the end of super rugby should be a good balance to Sydney waratahs - sorry Sydney uni.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Eastwood really looking the goods this year and still some huge talent to return with the end of super rugby should be a good balance to Sydney waratahs - sorry Sydney uni.
Eastwood looked line men V boys against Randwick.
You can't deny Randwick's effort, but Eastwood were just cruising in 2nd gear.
For Randwick it was a repeat of their effort against Manly

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree with you Bruce - Nugget seemed to get them all on the front foot with a little more space. Good to see also that you don't hold a grudge against former Uni players plying their trade at rival clubs.

Macca, my attitude is that rugby players have limited time to succeed in their sport and they have to decide what is best for them. When players come to me for advice, as Nugget did before changing clubs, I always try to take off my Sydney Uni hat and give them objective advice.

I am proud of the fact that Nugget still comes to me for career advice and I am more than happy to assist a young bloke of outstanding character.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that he started out in junior rugby with Randwick and was lost to the Juniors during his time at Waverley.

The decision to go to Uni may have been influenced by wanting to play with his mates, or he was studying at Uni, or he liked the programmes or culture that they had there, or combinations of the above.

He seems to be a reasonably competent footy player and would be first choice #9 at many clubs.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thommo is taking a few weeks off to catch up with some of his old Rugby mates in New York. Club President Geoff Baldwin has kindly stepped in to write this week's match report, now on the Two Blues website.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think that he started out in junior rugby with Randwick and was lost to the Juniors during his time at Waverley.

The decision to go to Uni may have been influenced by wanting to play with his mates, or he was studying at Uni, or he liked the programmes or culture that they had there, or combinations of the above.

He seems to be a reasonably competent footy player and would be first choice #9 at many clubs.

yep, also played a little junior footy for souths. Cant see uni being too pissed at him going to another club, can hardly claim him as being their own product

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I notice in this week's Rugby News that Nick F-J has dropped a strong hint about a 10 team Shute Shield in the future. Unfortunately we would have to assume that Penrith will be one of the casualties if this happens, but which other team would go???

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
I notice in this week's Rugby News that Nick F-J has dropped a strong hint about a 10 team Shute Shield in the future. Unfortunately we would have to assume that Penrith will be one of the casualties if this happens, but which other team would go???
I read this also. Very interesting, maybe Gordon as they could only field one colts team this year.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Saturday is going to be a HUGE day for Rugby!!!
ladiesday banner.png

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Knuckles having an EOFY rant, or just got the shits with the rain?
Galah wasn't questioning the time on the sideline, he was referencing the Horwill possible stomp and drawing comparisons and possible inconsistent penalties.

My eyes, Eds was a rack off Kevs was a stomp to the head.

Yeah Knuckles what Dave said ! Just back from being in Melbourne for the test to set the record straight - I have never condoned what Ed did or questioned the appropriateness of the penalty indeed he could easily have gone for more and no one at MMM's would have been surprised - Wamberal please take note - for Ed to have landed the boot would have taken a kick worthy of Bruce Lee anyway ;-) . It was a tongue in cheek comparison of offences. What would the IRB have done with Ed?!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gibbo, a word of advice.

If the Gordon boys are going to pink it up on the field, for everyones sake please do not use the same fashion advisor that the Wicks used for their Pretty in Pink day.:)

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
We have actually invited all of the Juniors to the game that represented us so well over the past month or so. We've pinched the idea from Warringah to have all of the players wear their Village club socks throughout the day to celebrate. If they only played at school then that is fine too. Should be a bit of fun

Status
Not open for further replies.