• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You can add a few more into that list of recent schoolboys stepping up to Grade ranks with poise.

Debreczeni (Trinity - CAS & West Harbour) Jed Holloway (Wav - CAS & Hobbits) spring to ming.

For the Uni and GPS haters, and tin hat wearers, these boys have achieved this standing despite the evil wand of influence that is the Uni Colts machine that somehow has destroyed Shute Shield competition.

CLub programmes have improved in recent years and while many are still behind Uni, they are significantly better than they were 5-10 years ago. Uni set the benchmark and now others are catching up. Rugby is better for this.

The Woodies are looking good for a GF appearance.
Jack Johnson was at Waverley last year and came on in the last ten but played strongly in a losing side vs Uni two weeks back

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Add Jim Stewart to that pack.

Uni vs Wests scoreline is one of surprise, especially with Wests in such great form.

Match report by any chance ?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
You can add a few more into that list of recent schoolboys stepping up to Grade ranks with poise.

Debreczeni (Trinity - CAS & West Harbour) Jed Holloway (Wav - CAS & Hobbits) spring to mind.

For the Uni and GPS haters, and tin hat wearers, these boys have achieved this standing despite the evil wand of influence that is the Uni Colts machine that somehow has destroyed Shute Shield competition.

CLub programmes have improved in recent years and while many are still behind Uni, they are significantly better than they were 5-10 years ago. Uni set the benchmark and now others are catching up. Rugby is better for this.

EDIT: spring to ming ??? FFS. I knew what I wanted to type.
Catching Up ?
Really ?
2012 results : 1st grade premiers Syd.Uni.
2nd grade premiers Syd.Uni.
3rd grade premiers Syd.Uni.
1st grade colts premiers Syd.Uni.
2nd grade colts premiers Syd.Uni.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Debreczeni (Trinity - CAS & West Harbour) Jed Holloway (Wav - CAS & Hobbits) spring to mind.

EDIT: spring to ming ??? FFS. I knew what I wanted to type.

Have you been drinking, Hugh?

Uni did not "set the benchmark". They simply had far more funding, in cash and in kind, than the opposition.

Other clubs have junior competitions. Believe it or not, junior development is actually important, Hugh. Possibly more important than either the GPS competition, or the Camperdown Narcissists.

Rugby would be a pretty lonely sport without us. Meaning, everybody except the GPS milieu, and the Camperdown clique.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Catching up in terms of clubs being able to recruit and retain players on the basis of their colts programmes.

There has been some rather intense and vitriolic anti-Uni postings in the past.
That number has dropped off this year.

Quality players like Debreczeni, Horwitz, Holloway, Johnson et al have chosen not to go the Uni path. Manly have a large number of players at U20 JRWC. Norths have a few, as do the Hobbits.

My post was to recognise that these clubs must be doing something right, because a number of these "quality" players have crossed the "juniors development" borders to play with their current clubs. Others have resisted the temptation to join those "Evil club rugby destroying bastards in Camperdown".

What is wrong with Uni setting high standards and demanding compliance with those standards?
Our next generation of military leaders at the ADFA rugby club could take a leaf from Sydney University Rugby Club on how to behave.

Leveraging off alumni and mentoring current club players?
Uni learned this from Randwick. Again nothing wrong with this and there should be more of it. Wicks seem to have lost that secret in the naughties but with the current management with Poido behind the scenes, they may be rediscovering their mojo. Gordon used to be good at this as well. They also forgot. They are rebuilding.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Money, Hugh. Who has the money, and the resources?

You know a lot more about the ins and outs of rugby in Sydney than I do. Tell me, why did the powers that be try to drop Uni from the competition?

And tell us, how has Uni's great work translated into success for the Waratahs?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Catching up in terms of clubs being able to recruit and retain players on the basis of their colts programmes.

There has been some rather intense and vitriolic anti-Uni postings in the past.
That number has dropped off this year.

Quality players like Debreczeni, Horwitz, Holloway, Johnson et al have chosen not to go the Uni path. Manly have a large number of players at U20 JRWC. Norths have a few, as do the Hobbits.

My post was to recognise that these clubs must be doing something right, because a number of these "quality" players have crossed the "juniors development" borders to play with their current clubs. Others have resisted the temptation to join those "Evil club rugby destroying bastards in Camperdown".

What is wrong with Uni setting high standards and demanding compliance with those standards?
Our next generation of military leaders at the ADFA rugby club could take a leaf from Sydney University Rugby Club on how to behave.

Leveraging off alumni and mentoring current club players?
Uni learned this from Randwick. Again nothing wrong with this and there should be more of it. Wicks seem to have lost that secret in the naughties but with the current management with Poido behind the scenes, they may be rediscovering their mojo. Gordon used to be good at this as well. They also forgot. They are rebuilding.
Ah ! I see what you mean.
The other clubs are catching up except on the score board.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
wamberal,
I was an intense critic of the Rebels at the time that they were formed.

It was (and maybe still is ) ARU's Operation Market Garden - a Bridge too far.

Without the product from the Camperdown clique it would have been chucked out of the competition.

I don't know too much of the inner workings of the Todd Louden inspired Elite Development programme that they have in place at Uni, but they do seem to put in a sh!t load more work into their players (colts and Grade) than what I have observed at many other clubs including the Pretty in Pinks. The latter have until recently basked in the glory days when the the Ellas, and poached recruits from Queanbeyan and Goulburn Fizzy Reds/UNSW reigned supreme at Coogee Oval.

Clubs other than the Camperdown clique are getting professional in their approach.

Juniors development. Yeah there is very little. I don't know enough but think that there may even be a Uni aligned mini club in the West Harbour inner west mini competition.

Probably for another thread, but where would Uni recruit their Mini's from?
Easts probably lay claim to Paddo and points east of there.
Randwick inclued Eora teams from Redfern in their competition.
How many kids actually live in Glebe, Sydney CBD, Annandale, Petersham, Lewisham, Erskineville, Marrickville and Newtown that Uni could potentially target as a Mini village club competition?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Money, Hugh. Who has the money, and the resources?

You know a lot more about the ins and outs of rugby in Sydney than I do. Tell me, why did the powers that be try to drop Uni from the competition?

And tell us, how has Uni's great work translated into success for the Waratahs?

Are you saying that Sydney University are responsible for Waratahs lack of success ?

It seems to me that University are going about their own business developing players to suit their style of play. Its worked for them over the past decade and finally other clubs have caught onto the trend.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Are you saying that Sydney University are responsible for Waratahs lack of success ?

It seems to me that University are going about their own business developing players to suit their style of play. Its worked for them over the past decade and finally other clubs have caught onto the trend.
No Sydney Uni is not responsible for the Waratah results , but how have the other clubs "caught onto the trend" ?
Sydney Uni dominated the competitions last year as much as they have ever done in the past.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How have some of the other clubs caught up?
targeted and structured pre-season training
managed rehab programmes
Strength and conditioning programmes that actually strengthen and condition
professional club management practices and governance
integration between colts and grade
Player retention
Club presentation and behaviour on game day

I have not implied that the other clubs are equal to Uni in these regards, but from the somewhat dinosaur state that many clubs were in 10 years ago impressive progress in many of the above areas have been made by many clubs. Have they caught up on the headstart that Uni have? No but I'll bet the Camperdown boys are glancing over their shoulder more now than they were 5 years ago.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Geez Knuckles I thought Horwitz played a very mature game in utterly shithouse conditions.
First time I've seen him in a proper contest and I thought he did pretty well.
My take was the Randwick tried to play the first half like it was bone dry and after that it was too late.

Both sets of halves had strong games in the conditions - good to see Blakey's oft criticised perseverance with Marshall Milroy paying off but it was down to the pigs in the end and yes Randwick's first 20mins suited Manly just fine.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
wamberal,
I was an intense critic of the Rebels at the time that they were formed.

It was (and maybe still is ) ARU's Operation Market Garden - a Bridge too far.

Without the product from the Camperdown clique it would have been chucked out of the competition.

I don't know too much of the inner workings of the Todd Louden inspired Elite Development programme that they have in place at Uni, but they do seem to put in a sh!t load more work into their players (colts and Grade) than what I have observed at many other clubs including the Pretty in Pinks. The latter have until recently basked in the glory days when the the Ellas, and poached recruits from Queanbeyan and Goulburn Fizzy Reds/UNSW reigned supreme at Coogee Oval.

Clubs other than the Camperdown clique are getting professional in their approach.

Juniors development. Yeah there is very little. I don't know enough but think that there may even be a Uni aligned mini club in the West Harbour inner west mini competition.

Probably for another thread, but where would Uni recruit their Mini's from?
Easts probably lay claim to Paddo and points east of there.
Randwick inclued Eora teams from Redfern in their competition.
How many kids actually live in Glebe, Sydney CBD, Annandale, Petersham, Lewisham, Erskineville, Marrickville and Newtown that Uni could potentially target as a Mini village club competition?

More importantly where can they play! No grounds available in that very small geographic area!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Uni No 1 oval, St pauls oval, St Johns oval, Uni No2 Oval, Redfern oval, Erskineville oval, wentworth park, Drummoyne oval....

There are stacks of ovals.

Uni need to get off their arse and engage with their local demographic.

There are high schools and primary schools, private and public in your area,

Foster and Grow the game. It is in your charter. MAKE IT HAPPEN. The ARU, SJRU and SRU are not going to do it for you. They are useless.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Manly played the conditions much better then the wicks for a deserved valuable bonus point win. Knuckles very harsh on Horowitz close to our best in the previous 5 games and handled himself well out there with limited opportunity

I agree Pete, I thought Horwitz was the Wicks best player and handled the conditions and the scoreline with maturity beyond his years. I don't believe he made any serious mistakes and the quality of his passing in the conditions was amazing. His effort to almost stop Milroy from scoring also showed he has the ability to react quickly under pressure.
Best on the paddock however was his opposite number, Milroy. I thought he played the conditions perfectly and time after time set up field position for the Manly forwards to do their stuff. Definitely the player for the conditions.
The Wicks scrum also held up very well.

Morton

Frank Nicholson (4)
With the big gap between games in Super Rugby,I notice the Waratahs players have returned to club rugby but the Force in particular has not released its players to either Shute Shield or even Perth Rugby. What benefit can be gained by having players training and watching rugby instead of playing in the Shute Shield to drive their skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.