• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt reynolds

Frank Row (1)
Ive been a long time reader of this forum but i have never posted, i have been involved with the emus in and out for the last 5 years.
i believe marquee players is one way to attract fans and players to penrith, there is alot of young talent at the club but for the most part we only see them for 5-10 games before they are disheartened and move on, although funding would help it is not going to be the sole answer to the problem,
in saying that though, ive noticed the score the emus got beaten by against Sydney uni has been similar to the hidings they have been dishing out to the rest of the competition, one side being so dominate is the number one reason alot of the other clubs struggle and may be the eventual downfall of the SS.

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
From memory (might be a bit hazy) Gilmore played up a year until under 14's and BJ was older but Tom Kingston (Sydney Uni) and Ben Volavola (Southern Districts) played in the U'11's, 12, and 13's for Manly.. The team to beat was Gordon! and the Manly boys took the trophy in U'14's 2005!

Manly had a huge rivalry with Gordon throughout the years with that age group. Gordon had the likes of Luke Jones and Nick Stirzacker in that team. If I recall that only Gordon Juniors that have remained with the club are Luke Rissman, Hugh Cropley, Erik Moss and Jim Handlin. Gordon and Manly had a joint premiership in the U17's in 2008.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach
Your item 2 ( draw and pass) has been in sad supply this year in favour of the 'cutout'
Would love to see it back in favour.

Good point Sid!
There was a great example in one of the lower grade games at Coogee last Saturday. The attacking team had 3 on 1 and the twit with the ball cut out 2 players and passed to the only player who was marked.
Certain try bombed!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Most over-rated "tactic" in Rugby. It's a long time since I did any coaching but I absolutely hated the cutout. Unfortunately a simple draw and pass seems to be a difficult skill nowadays.

I agree.
Used well it can create tries (Horwitz is very good at it) but so often a cut out pass is thrown for no apparent reason and for no advantage. There's also the increased probability of it missing its mark ie the longer the pass the more difficult to execute accurately.
The "old" flat line attack at the Wicks (esp when the Ellas were playing) made this a very effective tactic but it loses a lot now that every team lines deep in attack like in league.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
The draw and pass requires one very important factor, sadly missing in modern rugby...the willingness to be tackled. Players today don't want to get tackled so get rid of the ball too early.

Watch the mungoes get smashed just after they have passed or kicked. They know it's coming but at least they've committed the defender and created the space out wide.

Cup of cement for the players would go a long way in Rugby today.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
You seem to forget that the person passing gets to show off his nifty spiral pass. Just kidding, used sparingly and well it's effective. Put in the same file the "deft" attacking stab kick

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ive been a long time reader of this forum but i have never posted, i have been involved with the emus in and out for the last 5 years.
i believe marquee players is one way to attract fans and players to penrith, there is alot of young talent at the club but for the most part we only see them for 5-10 games before they are disheartened and move on, although funding would help it is not going to be the sole answer to the problem,
in saying that though, ive noticed the score the emus got beaten by against Sydney uni has been similar to the hidings they have been dishing out to the rest of the competition, one side being so dominate is the number one reason alot of the other clubs struggle and may be the eventual downfall of the SS.

You are almost correct in your prediction. The dominance of the Big Schoolboys will destroy the SS. Not that anybody seems to be listening here.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
You are almost correct in your prediction. The dominance of the Big Schoolboys will destroy the SS. Not that anybody seems to be listening here.
Ok wamberal we get - you hate the Uni club. How about some positive suggestions on the way forward for the SS other than sending a thermonuclear weapon into postcode 2006.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The way forward is simple.
Change the points system.
Having club that has more Super 15 contracted players than any of the Super franchises cannot be good for the competition.
Spread 20 or so Super players from Uni into the wider SS and it can only improve the standard.
It's not just about strengthening the other SS clubs, it's about players from the other clubs learning off the more experienced players.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
As it stands presebtly It's pointless for a super rugby player going to a team that isn't going to make the finals as the overlap is only one or two regular season rounds.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I agree.
Used well it can create tries (Horwitz is very good at it) but so often a cut out pass is thrown for no apparent reason and for no advantage. There's also the increased probability of it missing its mark ie the longer the pass the more difficult to execute accurately.
The "old" flat line attack at the Wicks (esp when the Ellas were playing) made this a very effective tactic but it loses a lot now that every team lines deep in attack like in league.
All the cut out pass does is make the sideline the defending team's best friend

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To give a Uni player some credit, one of the best exponents of the draw and pass in recent years has been Tom Carter. He gets plenty of chances to practice it in games and I can't recall him ever buggering one up.

I'd go along with that. Carter isn't the fastest bloke or the most talented, but he executes the fundamentals of the game very well and always runs great supporting lines. That's a commendable skill in itself.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
As it stands presebtly It's pointless for a super rugby player going to a team that isn't going to make the finals as the overlap is only one or two regular season rounds.

1/2 the sides make the semi's.
Less than half the super players with Uni can start a semi final.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I
1/2 the sides make the semi's.
Less than half the super players with Uni can start a semi final.
I totally agree with you there, it is a ridiculous situation. My statement was more about dividing the players amongst the other teams equally. The ones going to the non finals teams would feel dudded. And the cynic in me thinks a few may sit out their games "injured". That being said, the drive and commitment to become a professional as well as the "intellectual property" of a professional system could only benefit the weaker clubs and Shute shield in general. But probably not as much as if the actually played for someone instead of, at best, warming a bench.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd like to suggest that someone (Bruce Ross?) start a Sydney Uni thread so everyone who wants to have a go at them can use it instead of cluttering up this thread every few weeks with another round of Uni bashing posts. It's getting a bit repetitive and if the posts are all in the one place it will be easier to see what's been said before (over and over again) to avoid repetition. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.