• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
HJ I can't quite agree here. Over the season I haven't read too much antagonism against MMM - one or two only. However, the other mob have had a number of detractors over the years. We all know anyone's second team is that one playing against Uni. If the GF is that one I believe Manly will have overwhelming support
The irony being it is probably one of the most likeable Uni outfits in quite a while in terms of good young players getting a go , their colts not necessarily ruling the roost and a consequent reduction it seems on the Tom Carter hate barometer . Gee their 2's even let Gordon win!

Last year the influx of super 15 players was appalling in - it was a Bernard Foley drop goal which sunk the MMM's last season . Will not be nearly as bad this year even with returning Waratahs.

Souths have a real chance in my view. Woodies will be keen to repeat the dose from last year but it is Manly Oval not TG (and definitely on the Village Green this Saturday :) ! )

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
MMM have played fantastic footy all year and probably don't deserve any crossover tribalism from the Sea Eagles, especially when you note that they could be up against the Corporation.

Is everyone going to the footy this weekend barefoot to encourage the Hobbits in their semi against Buildcorp?

Hard to build animosity against the MMM when they have some of the nicest pies at the oval, and 4 Pines Brewery is within an easy stumble of the ground.

One suspects that it will be a very popular victory for the Marlins, although one fears that @Dave Beat's keyboard could meltdown.:)

All good HJ, my key board will be okay so there shouldn't be any concern about bringing it home.

I want 1, 2, 3, 4's and the 2 colts teams, not being greedy at all.

Yikes

Stan Wickham (3)
Surely the Corporation were aware of the Water Polo shindig when they applied to host the matches on that weekend. That's right, they APPLIED to host.

Not correct. They applied to host Saturday, but not Sunday. Hence the confusion. All sorted now, though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hey Dave, is it possible to put up the corresponding match from the Colts over the weekend?

I pluck it of the Manly website and it's done by someone with far more IT knowledge than me. Sounds like the Marlins pushed Randwick colts all the way, I'm looking forward to getting the email of the game.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I pluck it of the Manly website and it's done by someone with far more IT knowledge than me. Sounds like the Marlins pushed Randwick colts all the way, I'm looking forward to getting the email of the game.

That's exactly what happened Dave.

Randwick got off to a flying start with the wind at their backs but Manly never put up the white flag. It was only some individual brilliance from the Wicks Aussie schoolboys Hanigan (stole a line out and sprinted 50 metres to score), Short and Deegan plus some great footwork by the centres Starkey and Frost which carried the day. Declan O'Donahue was a tower of strength at 8 and a great leader.

The 8 (Baranyi) and 23 (Kavapalu) for Manly (both seemed to be switching between the centres and the scrum) caused plenty of problems for the Wicks defence. And Manly had a completely dominant scrum which resulted in 2 push over tries and a penalty try.

A great game spoiled somewhat by the howling wind which unfortunately seems to be a common feature at Forshaw.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Finals - Week 2 - 9/08/2014

Home Team v Away Team Location Time
Semi Final D
Manly v Eastwood Manly Oval SATURDAY 3:00pm
Semi Final E
Sydney University v Southern Districts University Oval No. 1 SUNDAY 3:00pm

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I still reckon Uni's GF team if they make it, will be different to what team takes the field this week

Uni's First Grade team has varied from week to week. According to the scoresheets they have had no less than 60 different players play First Grade footy for them this season.

The Corporation may push things right to the limit, but you must give them credit for their McCaw like ability to operate just on the correct site of the administrative requirements. Any "rorts" done by them seem to be entirely within the letter of the regulations and rules.

Finals Series Eligibility Criteria below, thanks to @Rob.
Here is the eligibility rule. Not sure it sheds much light

33.2 A player shall not be eligible to play in a Finals Series fixture unless:
(a) The player has played with the Club a minimum of four rounds during the Minor
Premiership series; or
(b) The player has been on representative duties during the current season and has played a minimum of two minor premiership matches in the current season at the same Club in which he is seeking eligibility, or has been a registered player with the club (according to MRA) without break for the previous two years.
(c) Players playing at an Australian SuperRugby Franchise that dictates the player
must play in the local competition may lodge an eligibility appeal.

33.3 A player shall not be eligible to play in a Finals Series fixture in any grade
lower than the grade in which he has played the majority of his last seven matches in the minor premiership.

33.4 If a player does not qualify for a particular grade under rule 33.3,
dispensation will be granted if the player has played 60% of his season in the grade
in which he wishes to play. If the player has been on representative duties as
described in 33.2, he shall be eligible for Shute Shield, 2nd Grade or 1
st Grade Colts only, subject to Colts eligibility.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Who? Most Super rugby players don't qualify
I think the Super Rugby players not involved with the Wallabies do qualify. If they didn't then Uni have breached the rules of qualification in previous years.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right. If it was just 1 or 2 maybe it's not an issue. I'm sure Eastwood, Manly and Warringah would like to play their Super Rugby players (if they have any). Uni could have 4 or 5 players to call on. In the other sides involved they are part of an amalgamated NRC team, Uni aren't being virtually a stand alone team, and will have a singular say on whether those players are available for the GF. I just think it's a little against the grain to go through a comp with a certain side and then (possibly) have a significant change come the GF. The rules allow it so we will have to put up with it

Status
Not open for further replies.