• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good win, class side. Noe Souths to do the job.

The vast majority of rugby people will be hoping for the two remaining district clubs to meet in the grand final. As an Eastwood tragic, frankly I do not care who wins the premiership, as long as it is a real club, not a corporation with no juniors and no grass roots.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jared Barry needs to get a Super contract. Travesty that Peterson gets one and he doesn't. Massive engine for a big bloke

He is just starting to get fit - he missed the first part of the season, don't know why. But I agree, he is one of the best around with ball in hand. If he was in SA or NZ he would be a star, but somehow we do not have the rugby smarts (or depth of opportunities) to make something out of a player with his undoubted abilities.

Let's hope he is okay for next week, he might be getting fit at last!!

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Thought Manly were their own worst enemies in the first half with dropped ball. I know Al Baxter was a test prop and knows a lot more about scrimmaging than me but the way he was lauding Jed Gillespie at scrum time when the guy was driving into the Manly TH at a 45 deg angle had me scratching my head, of all ex-players I would have thought Al would have spotted that.

Though Manly were dudded in the finals draw - how can the minor premiers draw the team that came second in the second week of the finals when they won the week before? Surely a better system (for a 6 team format) is the one in Super Rugby - week 1 3 v 6 (3 gets the home game - it can be arranged if they know before season starts), 4 v 5 (4 gets the home game) week 2 1 v lowest ranked winner (minor premier gets the home game) 2 v highegt ranked winner (2 gets the home game), grand final to be played at Concorde (or similar ground).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bugger me, Manly going down. It was always going to be tough against the Woods, but bloody hell I would have bet the house on the MMM's making the GF.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Aussie D, Manly played Eastwood at Manly Oval. What's unfair, or unreasonable, about it? When it comes down to the last four, the premier has to be able to beat all other three teams, surely, and to have home advantage is surely enough.

This weekend's games are between the four best teams in the comp. What's unfair, or unreasonable, about that?

Spell it out for us, in practical terms. It all looks pretty reasonable to my small mind.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bugger me, Manly going down. It was always going to be tough against the Woods, but bloody hell I would have bet the house on the MMM's making the GF.

The slight silver lining in the dark cloud of Manly's defeat is my lack of conflict in deciding which game to go to next Saturday. I can now go to the Bledisloe without rushing from Concord.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Making the GF ... ... ... ... Rob Waterhouse wouldn't give odds on then for Winning the GF yesterday.

A few injury concerns for the Woodies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seems like everyone wrote off the Woodies post Souths match. Souths were just on fire that day and Eastwood always going to respond. Manly probably suffered from a lack of competition from Randwick.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Aussie D, Manly played Eastwood at Manly Oval. What's unfair, or unreasonable, about it? When it comes down to the last four, the premier has to be able to beat all other three teams, surely, and to have home advantage is surely enough.

This weekend's games are between the four best teams in the comp. What's unfair, or unreasonable, about that?

Spell it out for us, in practical terms. It all looks pretty reasonable to my small mind.
Yep we had home semi and couldn't convert . I suspect Marlins would have struggled to beat the Rats today too . The signs were there from the loss to the Beasts . While some coaches get flack for being too loyal to players I wonder whether Manly suffered from too many changes in team selection in the run in to finals and even from last week .

Interesting obs re Jared Barry . One of the standouts in great Woods pack today . Peterson very good last week but I reckon Wicks forwards would be smallest in comp. It was a step up this week . Matt Lucas wasted off bench too

Status
Not open for further replies.