• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Has anyone else realised how Sydney University's reign has coincided with Queensland's success in origin? Could this possible be a sign? :p

2013 Sydney University Eastwood 51-6
2012 Sydney University Southern Districts 15-14
2011 Eastwood Sydney University 19-16
2010 Sydney University Randwick 46-6
2009 Sydney University Randwick 24-19
2008 Sydney University Randwick 45-20
2007 Sydney University Eastern Suburbs 34-11
2006 Sydney University Randwick 16-10
2005 Sydney University Eastwood 41-

2006 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2007 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2008 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2009 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2010 Queensland 3 0 0 Queensland
2011 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2012 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2013 Queensland 2 1 0 Queensland
2014 New South Wales 2 0 0 New South Wales

Minus 2005.

I imagine all the Non-University coaches will be sharing this pertinent fact in the sheds on the weekend. This has been another useless post brought to you by FilthRugby.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
FilthRugby, maybe not Queensland (as they didn't lose origin in 2010) but have a similar record to Avoca on the Central Coast. Avoca Premiers 2003 (can't recall what years they won prior to that), runner-up 2004, premiers 2005-10, runner-up 2011, premiers 12-13 and looking odds-on to be premiers again this year.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting last two posts on the SS thread but suggest you may as well try and predict by reading the entrails of a newt . Fond memories of Avoca though :)

drdave

Bob McCowan (2)
I've never really understood the criticism of clubs for being successful. Whether it be Randwick in the past, Uni and Eastwood over the last 10 years, Manly now. As long as they're operating within the rules that exist at the time, the other clubs (and supporters) should be prepared to learn from what they've done and appreciate what they've achieved. When Manly thrashed the Wicks a couple of weeks ago I was in awe of their strength across the grades and full of admiration for the style of play and professionalism of the players. Sure I was disappointed, but I couldn't help but enjoy the support play and skills of the players. We have to move on from this ridiculous criticism that this club or that club are ruining the game by having more money than other clubs. They don't have more money because they won the lottery -- in most cases it's because they have dedicated people working very hard to attract sponsors etc. The days of the best players playing their whole careers for one club are over. Players will change clubs for a whole variety of reasons, money only being one of them. My only criticism is levelled at the NSWRU and SRU for not doing enough with the player points system to try to spread the talent more evenly across the clubs. Let's face it --- the majority pf players would rather be playing for a club that has a chance of winning every week and which is professionally run.

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I agree with most of what you've said, up to a point. I agree success isn't a fluke, there's a lot of hard work put in by those clubs to be successful. But is the flipside then that unsuccessful/poorer clubs work less hard? Or is there an element of luck involved in the process?

Yes, hard work should be rewarded, but if we consistently have a situation where only a couple of teams are regularly in with a shot at the pointy end of the season (Uni, Manly, Eastwood), and some clubs have basically never featured (I don't think Penrith has ever made a finals series in any grade for the last however long I can remember) - then there is something wrong and it is up to the NSWRU or the SRU to even things up abit.

At the end of the day, if the competition isn't a competition, what is it?

T

turnovertwopasses

I think the links between Queensland and Uni are obvious... Both are very good football teams with extremely well paid players. This applies to 1 or 2 more SS clubs too.

Watched an old SS game tonight with a can of Reschs! Great way to relax on a Thursday!

Cheers!
Night folks!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I agree with most of what you've said, up to a point. I agree success isn't a fluke, there's a lot of hard work put in by those clubs to be successful. But is the flipside then that unsuccessful/poorer clubs work less hard? Or is there an element of luck involved in the process?

Yes, hard work should be rewarded, but if we consistently have a situation where only a couple of teams are regularly in with a shot at the pointy end of the season (Uni, Manly, Eastwood), and some clubs have basically never featured (I don't think Penrith has ever made a finals series in any grade for the last however long I can remember) - then there is something wrong and it is up to the NSWRU or the SRU to even things up abit.

At the end of the day, if the competition isn't a competition, what is it?

First grade - 4 teams, then a cluster. Rats are up there you didn't include them.
Second grade - 4 teams, then a cluster. Gordon are up there, how about that.
Third grade - 4 teams, then a cluster. Wicks and Rats are up there, gee that's the second time Rats get a mention in their 50th year of being average ;) .
Forth grade - 4 teams, then a cluster. and the Rats appear again in an above average year.

Now go back 2 years - page 18.
http://issuu.com/rugbynews/docs/rn14_issue_14_final_for_web
This round only two years ago but some slight changes, on paper most noticeable are Rats, Wicks, and Norths. Most noticeable in traveling the grounds is that most clubs are noticeably working hard, and noticeably looking to improve - take Riff in the last 3 months. Back in March there are comments about getting rid of them, within the last couple of pages there are clubs thanking them.

Even turnover in the last page is turning over

I'll add more later

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know how TV games are picked? Randwick v Wests seriously? Randwick have had so many TV games this year for an average team. Cheika conspiracy theories again?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What game should have they chosen?

Eastwood v Gordon....no thanks
Souths v the Riff....nope
Manly v Parra ...with all respect to Parra, you would have to be joking
Norths v Uni.....Another mismatch
Rats v Easts...If Easts have their way,it will be a dour arm wrestle,if they don't it will be a flogging.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I would have thought Southern v Penrith would be a good game to telecast, plenty of ball movement and the score is usually close for the majority of the game. Randwick seem to be on every second week. I am assuming that Randwick is at home so Pappy and Jim can get to Allainz reasonably quickly to watch the test.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I would have thought Southern v Penrith would be a good game to telecast, plenty of ball movement and the score is usually close for the majority of the game. Randwick seem to be on every second week. I am assuming that Randwick is at home so Pappy and Jim can get to Allainz reasonably quickly to watch the test.

There are only 2 games on at 1pm -- Norths and Uni is the other one.
That narrowed the choice for the ABC if they wanted to finish the coverage before the test starts at 3pm. At least Wests v Wicks has an "each way bet" look about it and both sides like to throw the ball around.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Firstly,does anyone know how far in advance they choose these games?
I know ch 9 needed 6 weeks lead time.
Let's remember Penrith won their only game of the year 2 weeks ago.
If they chose the last placed team to be in the match of the day,and the score blew out.they would look extremely stupid.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Riff troubled Souths last time, I would have picked that game for sure. Give a bit of exposure to a team that's improved so much.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
There are only 2 games on at 1pm -- Norths and Uni is the other one.
That narrowed the choice for the ABC if they wanted to finish the coverage before the test starts at 3pm. At least Wests v Wicks has an "each way bet" look about it and both sides like to throw the ball around.

Gordon vs Eastwood is at 1:25pm at TG Milner.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Earlier in the season the only thing that consoled me about the loss of Treweek was it seemed that I had seen the last of David Ossafua in 1st grade. But no,it appears my wife is right,I am in fact wrong about everything. Once again I have to witness the excruciating sight of him slowly bending down to pick up the ball before straightening to a standing position then making a few lumbering steps and sending the ball out to whoever has the misfortune to be the recipient of his pass.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Earlier in the season the only thing that consoled me about the loss of Treweek was it seemed that I had seen the last of David Ossafua in 1st grade. But no,it appears my wife is right,I am in fact wrong about everything. Once again I have to witness the excruciating sight of him slowly bending down to pick up the ball before straightening to a standing position then making a few lumbering steps and sending the ball out to whoever has the misfortune to be the recipient of his pass.

Paul, take your lovely wife out for a quite lunch on Manly beach front, then a short stroll back to Manly oval to watch the Marlins and your good mate Treweek. Then a nice dinner across the road - shit she'll say how good is this you've done the right thing lets follow this great community club.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
It is a truth universally acknowledged in rugby that you gotta go forward before you go wide. When William Webb Ellis picked up the ball at Rugby school and invented Rugby it was about ten minutes later that they realised you gotta go forward before you go wide.

Here at Wests we don't much go in for tradition. I've noticed the last couple of games the Brains that run rugby here have got a new game plan. The ball is now shifted wide at an almost frenetic pace side to side across the field. The forwards despite being very large humans have never been used properly all year and are now reduced to trying to trying to chase the ball like crazy all over the park with the result they look like out of breath asthmatics. It's a Brave New World at Wests where the new Maxim is 'you gotta go wide before you go wide!'

So if you're ever at Concord and you see a man in the crowd with his hands over his face watching the action through the cracks between his fingers then that'll be me. Come up and say Hi!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've noticed the last couple of games the Brains that run rugby here have got a new game plan. The ball is now shifted wide at an almost frenetic pace side to side across the field.
Race to space.
That phrase might ring a bell for some people here. I've only ever heard it said by people involved with Wests.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I think the links between Queensland and Uni are obvious. Both are very good football teams with extremely well paid players. This applies to 1 or 2 more SS clubs too.

Watched an old SS game tonight with a can of Reschs! Great way to relax on a Thursday!

Cheers!
Night folks!
Find that hard to believe as reschs has not been made for at least 5 years. This will be confirmed by some more alcoholic members of this forum. Move on

Status
Not open for further replies.