• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Either way the exodus needs to stop.

If I was NSWRU I would finish up penrith and move Parramatta closer to the hills region where a lot of Parramatta players are coming from and start again with the:

Western Sydney Two Blues

There was a lot of talk a few years ago about Parramatta relocating to the Hills District.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Slow down Mr Shire. In the article you posted the coach said he had lost 43 players to other clubs. They did not all come to Uni.

Maybe I'm still bitter about the 2012 Grand Final as per previous post. But my argument doesn't alter, clubs like Uni, Eastwood and Easts are pillaging the west and clubs like Penrith and Parramatta can't compete.

scrum-doctor

Stan Wickham (3)
In 2009 they got Castle Hill Showground as an oval they could use.

Which is now where the new north west rail link station is going.

But they said Granville was the spiritual and original home of Parramatta.
(I believe it is Cumberland oval but that's another argument)

And therefore they stayed at Granville. I would like to actually know how many players for Parramatta come from Granville?

Although the same could be said for Eastwood. Who plays rugby that lives in Eastwood??? not many most of the players are from the Hills district or other areas.

scrum-doctor

Stan Wickham (3)
Sometimes it isn't the clubs fault.

I know Eastwood don't offer the players much more than a position in a team that will be in the finals. In this competition that is all clubs can bargain with ( except uni).

And with Woods, Randwick & sometimes easts being competitive over 4 grades players who want to play in the business end go to these clubs.

Especially decent first graders with the chance to play finals football and have a shot at a super contract they go where the structures are good.

This is why they need to start Parramatta new. they have good structures just not the talent pool. Whereas Penrith unfortunately have nothing. :(

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Maybe I'm still bitter about the 2012 Grand Final as per previous post. But my argument doesn't alter, clubs like Uni, Eastwood and Easts are pillaging the west and clubs like Penrith and Parramatta can't compete.
Agreed, and for what it is worth, I hated that 2012 fiasco too.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Agreed, and for what it is worth, I hated that 2012 fiasco too.

It still defies belief as to how Uni were able to call up their Super Rugby players just for that Grand Final when they hadn't played a single club game all season and that Grand Final was played at University Oval when Souths had finished higher than Uni on the table.

B

BellyTwoBlues

In 2009 they got Castle Hill Showground as an oval they could use.

Which is now where the new north west rail link station is going.

But they said Granville was the spiritual and original home of Parramatta.
(I believe it is Cumberland oval but that's another argument)

And therefore they stayed at Granville. I would like to actually know how many players for Parramatta come from Granville?

Although the same could be said for Eastwood. Who plays rugby that lives in Eastwood??? not many most of the players are from the Hills district or other areas.

Wrong. We did NOT get the Showground for use. There was much discussion about the move to the Hills and without boring people half to death with it, the commitment that Hills Council wanted was something the Two Blues were not in a position to fund. And neither was the ARU. Council wanted a $350k cash payment to move there with a commitment to spend $50k on playing surface upgrades and also a commitment to fund 450k to improve facilities at the Showground that were never going to be used by Rugby as well as a solid guarantee from the ARU that Wallaby and Waratah matches be played there.

You are also incorrect about Cumberland Oval being our spiritual home.

More than 60% of our current grade players come from the Granville/Parramatta/Fairfield/Auburn region as well.

There was a LOT of emotion around the possible move to the north west, with the biggest objection to it coming from within the club and also from within the councillors of Hills Council. A lot of mud was slung, and as mentioned there was a lot of emotion around it.

B

BellyTwoBlues

that should be $50k and not 450k for facilites. They also wanted that annually.

i don't know how to correct that typo.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Ok, you blokes have drawn me into this rubbish yet again. so before I start, I would just like to say that I think hiding behind the curtain of anonymity is gutless. It is unfortunately, the very soul of this godforsaken blog site though, so I just have to learn to deal with it.

What gets me going is the complete dribble from those making comment from their north shore and eastern suburbs bunkers who know absolutely NOTHING about the game west of the Anzac Bridge.

So for the benefit of those poor saps who only see the bright lights of Rose Bay here's our position......................again.

Whilst our First Grade team has only won one game, we've been very competitive in the majority of others. But don't think for one second we are satisfied with that.

* We've lost 4 games by 4 points or less -including the abandoned match V Wests

* We've scored 4 tries 6 times this season (nearly half our games)

* We're the only team to score 4 tries against Manly twice

* Our top squad features 14 local juniors (any other club come close?)

* Our Firsts would be close to the youngest team in the comp.

* We are fielding 4 grade, 3 Colts, 1 under 18's and 2 womens teams - the most teams in the comp

* Our second grade are running 8th and have a relatively easier run home (no disrespect to those clubs)

* Our First Grade Colts are also equal 8th and are also close to the youngest side in the comp

* The club is financially sound with no debt, a solid major sponsor and improving relationships with council in a city that is about to boom.

We take great pride in being more than just a rugby club. And we will continue to support the youth of a District whilst I remain in the front seat.

I've spoken before how Manly Oval is closer to Merrylands than what Nepean Rugby Park is, so please, without disrespecting Penrith in anyway, can you stop putting both clubs in the same basket? We are two completely different entities, run entirely differently.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What gets me going is the complete dribble from those making comment from their north shore and eastern suburbs bunkers who know absolutely NOTHING about the game west of the Anzac Bridge.

I've spoken before how Manly Oval is closer to Merrylands than what Nepean Rugby Park is, so please, without disrespecting Penrith in anyway, can you stop putting both clubs in the same basket? We are two completely different entities, run entirely differently.

Love the passion Belly - the anonomus posters on the above haven't referenced the Nth Shore, and they have been good enough to not even include gods country, ease up in throwing us in the bucket.

Up the Marlins!!!!!;)

PS under your post you can Edit / Delete / Report.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think 6 went to Easts this season:
Arona, Mate (both of them) Viiga, Watene-Zelezniak and Jerome McKenzie (his brothers went back to Wenty League)
Best player in my opinion was Toleafoa, he went the ACT and will play in the NRC for the Vikings this year.
Ironically they pinched Toleafoa from West Harbour.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eastwood wouldn't like that though as they get a lot of their players and supporters from that part of the world.

I cannot speak on behalf of the Club, but as a very long-standing supporter, player, and member of Eastwood R.U.F.C I can say that I, and many others, would welcome a return of the days when the local derby against Parramatta was one of the season's highlights. Or lowlights, because we lost more than we won in the good old days.

The North West of Sydney is big enough for two clubs.

And yes, when I played Cumberland Oval was Parramatta's home ground. Not sure that makes it their spiritual home, though.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I heard at a great Manly lunch week that Bill has some good news coming for the grass roots. Can anyone elaborate on the pipeline news?

Status
Not open for further replies.