• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I cannot speak on behalf of the Club, but as a very long-standing supporter, player, and member of Eastwood R.U.F.C I can say that I, and many others, would welcome a return of the days when the local derby against Parramatta was one of the season's highlights. Or lowlights, because we lost more than we won in the good old days.

The North West of Sydney is big enough for two clubs.

And yes, when I played Cumberland Oval was Parramatta's home ground. Not sure that makes it their spiritual home, though.
When I played, Parra were fearsome! But that was when dinosaurs were shedding their wings.
More than enough room for 3 teams west of Concord Oval. And talent to burn. Campbelltown have juniors to make you cry in regard to their talent and character. It is an abject failure of planning and strategy that we have come to the Penrith scorelines ( and before you Uni haters put shit on me, I have always been an advocate for the west)

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Dropping Penrith back to Subbies will only reduce the growth of the game in the west.
Maybe give Penrith some breathing space by letting them play 2 to 3 years without a team in the Shute shield.
Their 1sts play in the 2 nd grade comp etc, same as what is currently in place with the colts

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Dropping Penrith back to Subbies will only reduce the growth of the game in the west.
Maybe give Penrith some breathing space by letting them play 2 to 3 years without a team in the Shute shield.
Their 1sts play in the 2 nd grade comp etc, same as what is currently in place with the colts
Exactly. Simple. Straightforward, and the Emus in the senior grade will then be as competitive as their Colts have become in 2nd and 3rd grade.
Does not require complicated engineering. Up the Emus.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Exactly. Simple. Straightforward, and the Emus in the senior grade will then be as competitive as their Colts have become in 2nd and 3rd grade.
Does not require complicated engineering. Up the Emus.

Sorry, I don't see how that would work. IMO it would just result in an exodus of players who want to play 1st grade to other clubs, to league or they will give it away as I expect will also happen to the colts if they don't enter a team in colts 1 next year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I am pretty sure Teki was working almost full time on making the Emus competitive I remember reading that his wife had been working 2 jobs to support his family whilst he tried to turn Penrith around.

Just some info for those people calling for development officers.

I think there are only 2 or 3 development officers left in the Sydney region now with Pulver budget cuts.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I am pretty sure Teki was working almost full time on making the Emus competitive I remember reading that his wife had been working 2 jobs to support his family whilst he tried to turn Penrith around.

Just some info for those people calling for development officers.

I think there are only 2 or 3 development officers left in the Sydney region now with Pulver budget cuts.

Correct not many left at all. The new Western Sydney DO has a mammoth task on his hands. Mr Doyle as the new Community Engagement Manager (or whatever his title is) for Western Sydney will really need to get on the ground and help him out.

As a schoolboy rugby coach in Western Sydney, I hope that the strategy that Doyle and Worboys comes up with isn't just to 'merge' Parra and Penrith, or to remove Penrith altogether. I hope that they decide to invest more resources and funding into supporting the work of hundreds of volunteers who love rugby in the West.

Perhaps some of the suits, like Mr Pulver, could take a slight pay cut and put a few more development officers on the ground. I think $60k per DO would be relatively easy to find out of a couple of salaries that are $3mill +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Correct not many left at all. The new Western Sydney DO has a mammoth task on his hands. Mr Doyle as the new Community Engagement Manager (or whatever his title is) for Western Sydney will really need to get on the ground and help him out.

As a schoolboy rugby coach in Western Sydney, I hope that the strategy that Doyle and Worboys comes up with isn't just to 'merge' Parra and Penrith, or to remove Penrith altogether. I hope that they decide to invest more resources and funding into supporting the work of hundreds of volunteers who love rugby in the West.

Perhaps some of the suits, like Mr Pulver, could take a slight pay cut and put a few more development officers on the ground. I think $60k per DO would be relatively easy to find out of a couple of salaries that are $3mill +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a question, you reference investing $, and people taking pay cuts.
I believe money has been invested out west before, and the scorelines now are worse than ever.
Would it not be better having goodwill invested out west rather than $ and have it done over a significant period.

People have referenced Izzy, and Dennis being signed with Penrith - how many games would they have seriously played?
Instead of training being at Moore Park, why not train out at Penrith 2 days a week, maybe at a school ground so the kids watch after school.

Maybe it can be on the sports day so kids want to play rugby because the Tahs are there.

I think it is about capturing the kids aged 5, 6,and 7 now getting them into rugby and having the plan in place until they are post colts. So it is a long period of involvement - why that period it may help with player run off.

Employing a development officer expecting a quick change wont help.
It is all about engagement, and sustained involvement.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe the ARU should be thinking about basing an under 20 development squad there?

Penrith had a very competitive side not many years ago, captained by Peter Besseling. Didn't seem to lead to anything.

The key is community involvement. We should do something wildly radical, like approach the Panthers for funding. The Parramatta Leagues Club used to fund the Two Blues.

We will never be a threat to league in Western Sydney, but the presence of a strong community based rugby club would be good for what must be a huge, and growing, population of young men and women who are probably looking for ways to burn off some energy, meet new friends, etc etc.

The rugby codes have three enemies in common: AFL, soccer, and kids who go off the rails because they feel that they do not belong (the kids are not the enemy, of course, but the results of their alienation is).

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
^^^
I don't think the Parramatta Leagues Club "funded" the 2 Blues.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but the money from the leagues club was part of the deal to purchase the struggling licensed club of the 2Blues,a club which no longer exists & which has been sold to developers by the league mob.
"There's no free lunches".

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Maybe the ARU should be thinking about basing an under 20 development squad there?

Penrith had a very competitive side not many years ago, captained by Peter Besseling. Didn't seem to lead to anything.

The key is community involvement. We should do something wildly radical, like approach the Panthers for funding. The Parramatta Leagues Club used to fund the Two Blues.

We will never be a threat to league in Western Sydney, but the presence of a strong community based rugby club would be good for what must be a huge, and growing, population of young men and women who are probably looking for ways to burn off some energy, meet new friends, etc etc.

The rugby codes have three enemies in common: AFL, soccer, and kids who go off the rails because they feel that they do not belong (the kids are not the enemy, of course, but the results of their alienation is).

Pete is almost in his mid 40's now, that is winding back the clock a bit.
I reckon it is a 15 year build period.
Unfortunately a quick fix, can often change into a quick fail.
I reckon if the Wobs trained out there, and schools could be involved in some capacity it would grow and start building. Training out there would be far more beneficial than Penrith saying Izy is an Emu.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Sorry, I don't see how that would work. IMO it would just result in an exodus of players who want to play 1st grade to other clubs, to league or they will give it away as I expect will also happen to the colts if they don't enter a team in colts 1 next year.
Good point, I had not really factored that. I just assumed there was a body of people who would want to see the thing work.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Good point, I had not really factored that. I just assumed there was a body of people who would want to see the thing work.

At the end of the day, the only thing that will work is for the Emus to be able to attract and keep good players. The efforts of Teki and his family and other loyal and hard working Emu supporters will never be enough unless they can get good players on the park every week. I was really optimistic when the Emus played Randwick earlier this year. They came within a few 50/50 refereeing decisions of causing a major upset and there were some very nervous Wicks officials and supporters on the sidelines. But I thought at the time (given the lack of strength in the lower grades) that they only had about 10-12 players of real 1st grade quality. I assume like other clubs the Emus now have many injured players and the depth just isn't there. At this time of year all clubs are calling up players from lower grades and the Emus just don't have the depth to survive.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
From an outsider prospective I dont think any club is to blame and no club in the SS has it easy at all.
Help has to flow down form the top here to fix this.
Waratahs - start aligning players to all clubs, Big T went to MTBs lets see similar things for players such as Kuate, Lousi and Falealii rather than Randwick getting a bunch of them?
Its not as if Randwick demanded this or Easts getting a few also - spread them round if they have no past link to a club.
Then sort out the NRC - we have 4 teams in NSW lets try and get coaches and players from all teams involved somehow on an equal footing.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ok, you blokes have drawn me into this rubbish yet again. so before I start, I would just like to say that I think hiding behind the curtain of anonymity is gutless. It is unfortunately, the very soul of this godforsaken blog site though, so I just have to learn to deal with it.

Fair call. I've outed myself. Ryan09 has become Blackers13 aka Brian Blacklock, Parra Prez.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
It has to stop. Demeaning for the heroic troops at Emu Park. F*ck Eastwood and every other team that does that to them, including Uni. Readjust your teams to make it closer you aresholes!! What point is served?
Nope. You've gotta play your regular teams. The blowout on the weekend at Milner means Penrith should be in subbies. For and against points make a difference and going easy isn't likely unless everyone else does. Can first grade be canned, like they have done in colts? Penrith aren't just bad, they have no personnel. The same 10 guys ran around in 4s, 3s and 2s, with some new cavalry for 1s.

They weren't even really trying in the lower grades because they knew they had to keep running around for 3 matches. No contested scrums in any of the lower 3 grades. It was pretty awful to watch. Just embarrassing.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
It was channel 9, where Matt Burke - a former Eastwood player - is the sports news reader
Was def CH10 with Burkey as the Sports reader
Fair 'nuff. I stand corrected. Thanks for that. It was a really brief piece which had some footage of the match and a pic of the scoreboard - just Burkey talking about it over the vision. No interviews or anything deeper than "wow, look at those scorelines".

Status
Not open for further replies.