• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I remember all the corruption associated with Concord, prison sentence as I remember. Being to the east of the ground will give you a migraine looking into the setting sun, but yes, there should be no home ground advantage. Some other place.
But when you say "uni having a golden run as usual", do you imply some unfair advantage or bias? I know people like to sing "anyone but Uni". but as I have said repeatedly, we payed our dues, almost going under in 2nd grade, and then worked out how to get smart and achieve. Rather than tearing us down for that, why not keep aspiring the same as we did?
If that is what you you meant.

None implied by me, I respect what Uni have achieved. But it would be nice to see a team other than Eastwood or Uni win this year. Of the other 3 teams left, Souths have only one once (ie as St George in 1957 before the merger with Port Hacking), The Rats got their name on the Shute Shield in 2005 for the only time when it was played for in the first half of the season and the second half (the main comp) was the Toohey's Cup or something, and Norths last won in 1975. We have to go back to 1998 (Gordon) to find a team other than Uni, Eastwood or the Wicks (apart from the previously mentioned Rats win) so I'd like to see another name on the trophy.

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi Coach

We all love our respective clubs and I do agree that sharing the prize around would be good.

But Coach did you have the same feeling when Randwick won 12 out of 15 first grade premierships between 1978 - 1991? :)
or when in 2003 Randwick had won 28 club championships and the nearest other club at that stage was Uni with 7? ;)

I remember it was "any one but Randwick" in those days -unless you were a 'Wicks supporter. Nothing lasts for ever.

tahfanman

Bob McCowan (2)
Souths played with their typical physicality and were fair and square better then wicks on the day impressively without Dewet Roos aswell. I didn't particularly notice any referee decisions against wicks apart from the Nau yellow just thought they were sloppy and made too many crucial mistakes at bad times which was particularly disappointing considering how much firepower was in the team. We didnt get Andrew Kellaway the ball who was barely sighted in attack. Very sad end to the season for Randwick who potentially peaked at the wrong time or lacked the big game experience to win games at the pointy end of the season. Hard pill to swallow for supporters but good times ahead if randwick can hold onto their player roster.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi Coach

We all love our respective clubs and I do agree that sharing the prize around would be good.

But Coach did you have the same feeling when Randwick won 12 out of 15 first grade premierships between 1978 - 1991? :)
or when in 2003 Randwick had won 28 club championships and the nearest other club at that stage was Uni with 7? ;)

I remember it was "any one but Randwick" in those days -unless you were a 'Wicks supporter. Nothing lasts for ever.

No

tahfanman

Bob McCowan (2)
Good luck to the remaining 4 teams and I hope the SS is won by a team other than Uni for a change. Nothing against Uni but it would be nice for a different team to win.

I disagree with you coach for once in relation to syd uni.

This is not the uni of old with a lopsided talent roster. This is a team that has been created. Rumours of the fitness regime tom carter has run this year say that he puts them through hell every single week 3 times a week outside of scheduled training. They are far and beyond the fittest team in the SS and you can see it in the way they play. They thrive in the second half.

If you look through their 1st grade that has played most of the year only Jim Stewart was a big name from school who was always going to be very good at that level. 2 boys came across from balmain subbies have started most of the games this year and on pure ability up to 7 players who at least started on the weekend wouldnt of made any of the top 8 SS sides. They would now however because they have become this super fit well oiled machine that knows how to win big games, which was something randwick lacked in the last 5 weeks. Most of all the player who has driven their title push from halfback Jake Gordon was an anonymous who the club has developed over a number of years into potentially the best player in the competition. This would be by far unis biggest premiership in the last 10 years.

If uni win sides will have a blueprint to success regardless of player quality. Dare I say easts and particularly Manly who came in at 7th and 8th this year had a superior roster to Uni maybe ignoring Stewart and Gordon. Rugby is an athletic sport and uni have devloped their players into outstanding athletes.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
It was a great game on Saturday and well done to Uni for a fairly clinical win. Woods are a strong team and it certainly didnt look like the usual 1 vs 6.
The new stand was almost full and all there were in good cheer, beer lines were a bit long but at least you get a semi-decent draught choice at the end.
Dont think the ref was too bad and certainly didnt influence the result.
All was good until Carter decided to "play up" to the Woods fans and they in turn acted like idiots and threw beer at him, wasting beer (even New) is never acceptable.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agreed. Does the NSWRU pay attention to the SS? Latest news doesn't exactly have much in the way of SS news, and the only new info on the SS tab are the scores. Pretty poor IMHO. The grassroots is where this game is built. http://www.nswrugby.com.au/News.aspx

Just doing a survey at the moment, whilst referencing the NSWRU, and also the SS - how many of our readers and posters were aware of the following starting today, if so how did you hear about it?;
nrw_728x150.jpg

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just doing a survey at the moment, whilst referencing the NSWRU, and also the SS - how many of our readers and posters were aware of the following starting today, if so how did you hear about it?;
nrw_728x150.jpg

I know nothing about it! this flyer doesn't even explain what it is we're signing up for!

tahfanman

Bob McCowan (2)
Pretty sure nominees for ken catchpole announced spoke to nswru friend in passing I remember Jai Ayoub, Cohen Masson (ewd) Baldwin, Deegan (wicks) Roberts, Gordon (Uni) Will Miller (norths) Sean Doyle (Souths) Hamish Angus (rats) Sam Lane (manly) and I think King and perry from eastern suburbs.
Heard in passing so don't qoute me but there should be an announcement today. My top 3 would be jake Gordon, will Miller then rowan perry. Deegan may get a good look in aswell.. What's everyone's picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.