• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Im not sure about the night games......

Each club will be different, and very reliant on gate. The night games I've been to pull a smaller crowd than the arvo games with the 4th graders cooking the sausages.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Super Saturdays as Colts play the same draw. These are clubs not 1st grade sides. 8 clubs are capable of hosting games on one ground at present just looking at grounds without cricket wickets and other complications being involved. To play the Super Saturday they would need two grounds or in some instances a lot better lighting.

If you don't have the club you won't see the same standard competition that currently exists.

Tuesday & Thursday clubs are training at 6:30pm not 3pm in the heat of the afternoon.

Split the games over two evenings of play. Colts and 5ths play friday evening and 4th through 1sts play Saturday evening. Just for the first four weeks. Or you could look to schedule games at clubs that have access to multiple fields. As I've said previously it's a challenge but not unworkable.

At the height of summer there's often not a lot of difference in temperature between 3pm or 6 pm. Back when I was involved we also ran Saturday sessions during the day. There are also hot weather protocols that could be used.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Super Saturdays as Colts play the same draw. These are clubs not 1st grade sides. 8 clubs are capable of hosting games on one ground at present just looking at grounds without cricket wickets and other complications being involved. To play the Super Saturday they would need two grounds or in some instances a lot better lighting.

If you don't have the club you won't see the same standard competition that currently exists.

Tuesday & Thursday clubs are training at 6:30pm not 3pm in the heat of the afternoon.

Also, back when I was involved Colts played at different venues such as Latham Park. Doesn't that still occur?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Premier clubs in Sydney and Brisbane save at least 20 kids a year from playing rugby league by supporting them. You should be thankful.
Who should be thankful? Would you be thankful if Uni. for example , took players from your colts teams to play for their colts side?

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Im not sure about the night games..

Each club will be different, and very reliant on gate. The night games I've been to pull a smaller crowd than the arvo games with the 4th graders cooking the sausages.

I do accept that.

Though if we can extend the season and increase the connect with Subbies. It's only for a couple of rounds.

It's Worth considering.

T

TOCC

13th of August this year for the Dewar Shield.

Pretty sure it was "slightly" later before the NRC, but not by a very significant amount.

Yep, WA, QLD, ACT and Vic have all shifted their club seasons to accomodate the NRC and allow players from those comps to get a bit of a pre-season before the NRC.. so has NSW until the proposed changes :/

Thanks slim - so you were a week after the SS's this year, and no break between the NRC.
Really interested to hear about WA & VIC.

NRC didn't start around the 27th August, there was a 2 week break between the GF and Rd 1 of the NRC

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
NRC didn't start around the 27th August, there was a 2 week break between the GF and Rd 1 of the NRC

Shute Shield also had a 2 week break this year as well.

I think you also said something very different this morning that came through via email, in which i jumped on to respond to and now it's gone.

I also think it is a joke if GF & round one of the NRC are on the same day as i was told yesterday.
I now would like to know;
more about it, and the driving forces at play.
what discussions and resolutions are being proposed.

I'm not getting as emotionally worked up about it as you, I'm confident we will have a great outcome.

PS - I cringe at Pappy's approach, I sense his approach or attitude is a major driver in your thoughts, and if the competition draws were planned together to support each other your thoughts maybe different.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And look at how much better all the NSW teams went this year

Very good point.
I also think the fact that the teams operated differently had an impact as well. The Rays did away with the quota being one.
But the boys were absolutely spent at the end of the SS & NRC.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Im not sure about the night games..

Each club will be different, and very reliant on gate. The night games I've been to pull a smaller crowd than the arvo games with the 4th graders
cooking the sausages.

Diff'rent Strokes.

Clubs like Penrith often have most of their Fourth Grade playing Third Grade, so it might actually increase their numbers.

If I could get my blokes to a Parramatta game on the way back from (say) Canterbury, then head back to our pub, I reckon it would help links between SUbbies and Premier.

Unfortunately, we're often fighting for the same player base out this way, so it might be counterproductive :)

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
A worrying situation is currently evolving as a consequence of certain clubs paying inflated amounts & offering inducements

You mean exactly what Pulver said would happen if the ARU gave them money.......

The powers at Shute Shield need to make a decision. either work to be a part of the pathway (focus on the development of a core group of potentially elite players) or be a focal point for the local community facilitated through rugby.

you can't be both.

I have said all along, premier rugby needs to be just that. 1st Grade, 2nd Grade and Colts; and there should only be 8 teams. Create a Div 2 meaning those Clubs not in the top 8 can fight out promotion/relegation and the stronger Suburban clubs or new one's could fill the gap. It means those final games of the year fighting off the wooden spoon will be just as important an intense as those games playing in the finals.

"Oh my god - What happens to those clubmen in 3's and 4's?" either they run as the social teams they are in Subbies or, more likely, those fringe players will see an opportunity to show their wares at another club that is part of a genuine pathways program. They are still part of their Club and the proud history but they are no longer standing in the way of the Club becoming a proper rugby nursery.

The season will fit perfectly between cricket and NRC, Clubs can focus on proper development and spectators can get to every game because with three grades it could be run later on a Saturday with a crescendo of rugby in the 7:30 timeslot for rugby fans as well as school and social players. While this may come a shock to many, not every rugby fan in NSW actually cares about the Waratahs. They would be more likely to watch their local Shute Shield Club because the quality is there (often better in my opinion) and they could actually get to a game after their own match for an acceptable cost with a seat closer to the action.

The shorter season would also allow clubs with the will and resources to develop proper 7's programs which WOULD be the stepping stone to Olympic selection. Now that raises the importance of Club rugby.

Or they can bitch and moan that some else should pay but get the sh!tz when the people paying decide not to go through the clubs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Most clubs have 40 odd blokes play in 2's every season.

Most clubs have at least a handful of players that play in both 1's & 3's at different stages of a season.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You mean exactly what Pulver said would happen if the ARU gave them money...

The powers at Shute Shield need to make a decision. either work to be a part of the pathway (focus on the development of a core group of potentially elite players) or be a focal point for the local community facilitated through rugby.

you can't be both.

I have said all along, premier rugby needs to be just that. 1st Grade, 2nd Grade and Colts; and there should only be 8 teams. Create a Div 2 meaning those Clubs not in the top 8 can fight out promotion/relegation and the stronger Suburban clubs or new one's could fill the gap. It means those final games of the year fighting off the wooden spoon will be just as important an intense as those games playing in the finals.

"Oh my god - What happens to those clubmen in 3's and 4's?" either they run as the social teams they are in Subbies or, more likely, those fringe players will see an opportunity to show their wares at another club that is part of a genuine pathways program. They are still part of their Club and the proud history but they are no longer standing in the way of the Club becoming a proper rugby nursery.

The season will fit perfectly between cricket and NRC, Clubs can focus on proper development and spectators can get to every game because with three grades it could be run later on a Saturday with a crescendo of rugby in the 7:30 timeslot for rugby fans as well as school and social players. While this may come a shock to many, not every rugby fan in NSW actually cares about the Waratahs. They would be more likely to watch their local Shute Shield Club because the quality is there (often better in my opinion) and they could actually get to a game after their own match for an acceptable cost with a seat closer to the action.

The shorter season would also allow clubs with the will and resources to develop proper 7's programs which WOULD be the stepping stone to Olympic selection. Now that raises the importance of Club rugby.

Or they can bitch and moan that some else should pay but get the sh!tz when the people paying decide not to go through the clubs.

True, but when University Scholarships play a part, it is a different playing field again. A group of us have been working an Grass Roots Junior Level, and more and more moss is stick to the ball that started out as a small ball.
Resized_36.jpeg

Goal,
more young kids playing and having fun.
providing opportunity.
in my eyes, the forth graders are just as important as the first graders.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly had a player a few years back that propped up the scrum in 4th grade, and was clapped off walking through the tunnel of 1st grade out at Death Valley.
I know of a number of players who started the season in 4's and got game time in 1's throughout the year.
Whilst this one is rare, I "think" Cadreyn Neville started the season in 4's and finished the season with a Super Contract. Stress think it might have been over 2 seasons.
Colts also often come up into 3rd grade and build through the season with some passing through 2's and getting game time in 1's.

I hear allot of league players stop playing when they miss out on contracts when leaving what ever cup it is at u20's. Thoughts of targeting the age demographic between U17 - U23 so we capture these kids as i think our offering in the Premier Rugby space provides a better pathway and exposure than all those no frills feeder clubs in the NRL.

T

TOCC

"Oh my god - What happens to those clubmen in 3's and 4's?" either they run as the social teams they are in Subbies or, more likely, those fringe players will see an opportunity to show their wares at another club that is part of a genuine pathways program. They are still part of their Club and the proud history but they are no longer standing in the way of the Club becoming a proper rugby nursery..

I disagree, at least from a QLD Premier Rugby perspective which has a slightly different structure to Sydney Rugby. Premier Rugby clubs in Brisbane have combined Junior and Senior clubs, juniors don't operate as branch or affiliate clubs. Premier Rugby clubs like Easts, Ashgrove and Sunnybank all have around 80 junior teams and over 1000 players, all playing in the same colours, jerseys and names as the senior teams. It's part of the culture of the club and develops the future fan base.

I also suspect that limiting the teams too just 1st, 2nd grade and colts would create depth issues, as a club with 2 premier clubs you would realistically want up to 45 players to provide cover for injuries and missed matches.. it means you're going to have bulk reserves just sitting on the sideline of the 2nd grade matches hoping to get game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.