• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Again Dave, season hasn't shortened due to the NRC, it has however shifted right and seemingly worked..

So a small sacrifice by the clubs to fit in a new tier, which has obvious benefits to the players.. If it worked in 2013, 2014 and 2015, why does it need to change now.. because some club chairmans feel aggrieved?

Shute Shield big wigs need to consider the greater good of Australian Rugby, they are making a small sacrifice to allow and facilitate a new and necessary tier of Australian Rugby, like QLD, ACT, Victorian and West Australian clubs are also making.

Honest question, have the players enjoyed the NRC, the challenge of playing at a higher level and the opportunity to make a career of rugby?

Certainly shows me the big wigs are working for the good of Australian Rugby, they adjusted their season and even financially invested in it. I never said they shortened it because of NRC.

Again, you are missing the point - you still have not shown me anything at all that has the draws crossing over.

Well that's a pretty daft question

You clearly don't see the pathway that Premier Rugby plays in the landscape, and would much rather point the finger at the Shute Shield when you have nothing to support what you are saying. The Shute Shield is only one component in Premier Rugby - Premier Rugby is a huge part of the rugby landscape in Australian Rugby. Premier Rugby (in all states) is the primary (not only) fertaliser that enables our game to grow.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I think we may be overreacting
No overlap of season as yet
If it does happen it will be a very odd decision but surely would happen with the blessing of most clubs and their sponsors
That really means build Corp and Uni
They won't do this in my opinion
So moot point

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think we may be overreacting
No overlap of season as yet
If it does happen it will be a very odd decision but surely would happen with the blessing of most clubs and their sponsors
That really means build Corp and Uni
They won't do this in my opinion
So moot point

That's the page I'm on, at the moment - as I've said no draw yet, or show me the draw.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I have never understood why Shute didn't start a few weeks before super season
Get fringe players game time
Play games at evenings
It's bloody lovely here at 7.30 in March !
yeah a few grounds have cricket but play games at other grounds or a few double headers
Get creative with the Comp us diehards go no matter what is about engaging the future of our sport

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I have never understood why Shute didn't start a few weeks before super season
Get fringe players game time
Play games at evenings
It's bloody lovely here at 7.30 in March !
yeah a few grounds have cricket but play games at other grounds or a few double headers
Get creative with the Comp us diehards go no matter what is about engaging the future of our sport

I really enjoy the clubs playing 7's in Feb & March, creates a great social start to the season.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah I guess, but could there be a situation where sevens are played during day
Then 1st grade after during first month or so
Lower grades play season after 1st grade finished and non NRC players are free for 2nd grade
Play those grades before and after nrc games at same ground where possible
1st grade final before tahs grand final?!

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I also think people from other states would be surprised at how loyal players would stay to the club they are playing for if they reached the Grand Final.

Anyway I think the club need to release them to a franchise anyway. And this as Dave has said hasn't been announced anyway.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
As a forward I hate sevens anyway!
Love to watch but I was on the wrong end of some hammering in the borders growing up!

Forward as well, but it makes for a great day out once the boots have been hung up and everything is possible when you play the game in your head.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
A worrying situation is currently evolving as a consequence of certain clubs paying inflated amounts & offering inducements , many of which are unlikely to be honoured, in the process of recruiting players to their clubs. Of particular concern is that some clubs are paying their colts .As a consequence a number of existing colts from clubs not paying, are changing clubs ,i.e.their club is being cannabilised ,leading to the weakening of their parent club ,& of course leading to some clubs not attracting any/many new schoolboys & juniors to allow them to be competitive.The likely consequences of this is that some clubs may only field 2 colts teams next season.The ultimate consequences for the future of the competition are obvious.Players , including colts, have been offered inducements for many years, but currently the situation is getting out of hand & IMO is eventually self destructive for all concerned.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cricket is basically the only sport but your also creating the situation of having Super Saturdays to accomodate the whole club at the one venue in February or whatever ridicoulas date you want to start it. I am not sure if many of the clubs are going to be able to have two grounds available at this stage and if they didn't to get everyone on the ground (grade teams) at normal times you would need to start at 6:45am unless you had lights.

Manly, Norths, Gordon, Randwick obviously will struggle but so will the other clubs that need two grounds.

It's tough enough with the heat in Feb for 7's let alone playing 80 minutes.

2011 22 rounds - from 1st Apr
2012 18 rounds - from 14th Apr (split top 6 / bottom 6 - NSWRU initiative).
2013 18 rounds - from 6th April.
2013 Dec - the announcement of the NRC for 2014.
2014 18 rounds - from the 29th Mar.

2011 - 2013 - long before - you serious, & 2012 was a NSW initiative that clubs didn't like so changed in 2013.

2015 18 rounds - from 21st Mar
2016 18 rounds - from 19th Mar

Those dates surely show some condensing of playing times were required, to accommodated the NRC, and significant work within clubs to navigate around cricket to help make it happen.

I remember there was allot of positive chatter amongst some very avid Shute Shield supported on this very forum - a very high percentage of clubs even contributed financially to help it get off the ground (oops Eastwood didn't and we are going to hang the debate on one club not contributing).

Show me the 2017 Shute Shield draw and we can discuss.

My thought - the Premier Comps, should be working with the NRC so both comps are on the same pathway, I'm just not getting worked up over it when nothing concrete has been put in print.

2012 was only 16 rounds.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cricket is basically the only sport but your also creating the situation of having Super Saturdays to accomodate the whole club at the one venue in February or whatever ridicoulas date you want to start it. I am not sure if many of the clubs are going to be able to have two grounds available at this stage and if they didn't to get everyone on the ground (grade teams) at normal times you would need to start at 6:45am unless you had lights.

Manly, Norths, Gordon, Randwick obviously will struggle but so will the other clubs that need two grounds.

It's tough enough with the heat in Feb for 7's let alone playing 80 minutes.

Why would you need Super Saturday's? Scheduling a round at say Concord would still be the same in February as it would be in June. It would still the same number of games as at present.

As for the heat. Well, perhaps the should just cancel pre-season training. That occurs in the summer months. During my time at that level we often trained in the heat. It was just part of the deal. But as a solution games could be moved back a bit. Seriously, nothing you've presented couldn't be dealt with.

T

TOCC

A worrying situation is currently evolving as a consequence of certain clubs paying inflated amounts & offering inducements , many of which are unlikely to be honoured, in the process of recruiting players to their clubs. Of particular concern is that some clubs are paying their colts .As a consequence a number of existing colts from clubs not paying, are changing clubs ,i.e.their club is being cannabilised ,leading to the weakening of their parent club ,& of course leading to some clubs not attracting any/many new schoolboys & juniors to allow them to be competitive.The likely consequences of this is that some clubs may only field 2 colts teams next season.The ultimate consequences for the future of the competition are obvious.Players , including colts, have been offered inducements for many years, but currently the situation is getting out of hand & IMO is eventually self destructive for all concerned.

It's farcical that some clubs in this complain about funding, but then turn around and pay colts.. ARU tried to have all SS clubs to agree to stop paying players in 2012, it obviously didn't happen.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's farcical that some clubs in this complain about funding, but then turn around and pay colts.. ARU tried to have all SS clubs to agree to stop paying players in 2012, it obviously didn't happen.

It's been a bit of a farce for a while in some respects and not always at the clubs doing. On the information evening held as I was moving into Colts their were players showing with I kid you not, player agents. For Colts.

T

TOCC

You clearly don't see the pathway that Premier Rugby plays in the landscape, and would much rather point the finger at the Shute Shield when you have nothing to support what you are saying. The Shute Shield is only one component in Premier Rugby - Premier Rugby is a huge part of the rugby landscape in Australian Rugby. Premier Rugby (in all states) is the primary (not only) fertaliser that enables our game to grow.

I clearly don't see??

What a load of garbage, I value the importance of club rugby and I understand how important the Shute Shield is, you're so quick to defend the Shute Shield you fail to recognise how ludicrous this overlap is.

I'm not criticising the Shute Shield, I'm criticising the powers who be running the comp, the ones making bold statesments about breakaway comps and leaking draws which clash with other comps through the media. Don't mistake my criticism of the crusty pricks running the comp as an attack on the players or fans, there the ones I feel sorry for.

You are absolutely right about one thing though, Shute Shield is only one component of Premier Rugby, but it's the only conponent threatening to derail the NRC. First it was the Brisbane-Sydney club championship driven by the SRU which was supposed o run in direct competition with the NRC, which QLD clubs removed themselves from, and now the SS GF.

T

TOCC

I'd be interested to see the ARU prevent any player who is contracted from playing in the finals of the SS to better prepare them for the NRC, it would be well within their power to do so if the wished..

Reactions: dru

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

I've taken a particular interest in colts and the lead up to colts of recent times - u15 - u18, looking at and researching the pathway and process so we can engage in more kids playing;
What you are saying - inducements in a very broad scope will hurt, how to stop, reduce, even out - no doubt at all that many ideas have been discussed. I dont have a solution but do agree with you.

65% of kids go to public high school - these are the kids we are trying to create opportunity for.

Kind Regards,

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I clearly don't see??

What a load of garbage, I value the importance of club rugby and I understand how important the Shute Shield is, you're so quick to defend the Shute Shield you fail to recognise how ludicrous this overlap is.

I'm not criticising the Shute Shield, I'm criticising the powers who be running the comp, the ones making bold statesments about breakaway comps and leaking draws which clash with other comps through the media. Don't mistake my criticism of the crusty pricks running the comp as an attack on the players or fans, there the ones I feel sorry for.

You are absolutely right about one thing though, Shute Shield is only one component of Premier Rugby, but it's the only conponent threatening to derail the NRC. First it was the Brisbane-Sydney club championship driven by the SRU which was supposed o run in direct competition with the NRC, which QLD clubs removed themselves from, and now the SS GF.

I have said above, i don't think they should overlap - we agree.
Club rugby is important - we agree.
Still nobody has shown me the over lap, all i have said is lets wait and see how it plays out and then jump up and down.
There are some pretty sharp tools in the shed and I'm confident we will have great rugby in our tiers next year.

If it is a play - to screw the NRC, I'd be on your boat, but we are not involved in discussions and pointing figures, and throwing shots in no way strengthens our hold / market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.