• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Someone over at The Roar is claiming the Shute Club Presidents have voted to extend the season as a means to directly compete with NRC. This is bullshit, right?

Haven't heard this one.
The logistics of it sound odd given SS clubs involvement with the associated NRC teams. Even more so - when a coach is involved with an NRC team, and also a SS team.
Cron - Rays and Nths.
Coleman - Eagles & Rats.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Haven't heard this one.
The logistics of it sound odd given SS clubs involvement with the associated NRC teams. Even more so - when a coach is involved with an NRC team, and also a SS team.
Cron - Rays and Nths.
Coleman - Eagles & Rats.

I'm taking the approach that its largely BS but was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about it.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Sounds more like the Papworth proposal to run a National Club Competition as competition to NRC. I believe there is another thread on this.

T

Train Without a Station

Well which is it?

All about cricket season? or more about the ARU "disrespecting.

It cannot be both of those as you state.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok, this is a probably a stupid question: how is the Shute Shield that much more important then the other premier rugby competitions that anything the ARU does that might not 100% work in with what SS does will be considered "snubbing" or "disrespecting"?

Do some people have that thin a skin that they perceive anything as a slight?

IMHO, it's just one competition among others, that in the past has produced, and will produce Australian rugby players, can't everyone just try and work together?

If it's about cricket season going until April and needing access to grounds, sure that's a matter between SS and the Sydney Cricket comps.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Ok, this is a probably a stupid question: how is the Shute Shield that much more important then the other premier rugby competitions that anything the ARU does that might not 100% work in with what SS does will be considered "snubbing" or "disrespecting"?

Do some people have that thin a skin that they perceive anything as a slight?

IMHO, it's just one competition among others, that in the past has produced, and will produce Australian rugby players, can't everyone just try and work together?

If it's about cricket season going until April and needing access to grounds, sure that's a matter between SS and the Sydney Cricket comps.

Pretty obvious response to this it's obviously not to the benefit of Australian Rugby to have it's strongest club competition completed over 16 rounds from when all the grounds become available (nothing to do with Shute Shield rather council sharing grounds between cricket and rugby).

It's already a bit of a slight on the competition having 18 rounds but one can't help the predicament Manly, Norths, Gordon & Randwick find themselves in having to share a ground with another sport.

Having less games would just provide less development for players required for most of the spots the NRC claims to fill thus putting Australian Rugby in a poorer state.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IMO Australian Rugby would be put in a much poorer state if the best SS players were denied the opportunity of participating in the NRC.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
IMO Australian Rugby would be put in a much poorer state if the best SS players were denied the opportunity of participating in the NRC.
I believe the issue is Pulver demanding the change in the finish date of the SS so the NRC can start when he wants it because of the fijian tean joining the NRC

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Start the NRC later and go 22 rounds for the SS - easy.
Who knows this may have more players playing or game longer - win win

I agree Dave.
Can even start the SS earlier if necessary.
Cricket is not an issue as the clubs who share their grounds with cricket can play away for the first few rounds (which has happened in the past where grounds were required for cricket finals) or play at other grounds.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I agree Dave.
Can even start the SS earlier if necessary.
Cricket is not an issue as the clubs who share their grounds with cricket can play away for the first few rounds (which has happened in the past where grounds were required for cricket finals) or play at other grounds.

I wouldn't mind that. Move it forward three or four weeks. This way if they want to return to 22 it doesn't impact on players preparations for the NRC. Let's not forget that 97% of players surveyed are big fans of the competition and most (something like 90%) thought the extra lead in time was beneficial. They're the key stakeholders in this. No players, no competition.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Remember the SS is not just the SS. There's four grades. A lot of these players have not been too happy with the shortened seasons.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I wouldn't mind that. Move it forward three or four weeks. This way if they want to return to 22 it doesn't impact on players preparations for the NRC. Let's not forget that 97% of players surveyed are big fans of the competition and most (something like 90%) thought the extra lead in time was beneficial. They're the key stakeholders in this. No players, no competition.

• Yes we shouldn't forget 97% of players liked - I agree with that.
  • I also reckon there would be a huge percentage out there who didnt make the NRC cut but would have still loved to be playing.

Both are equally as important.

Yeah it's a hard balance, because if you move club rugby forward cricket, but more importantly the pre seasons 7's get effected.

Status
Not open for further replies.