• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
You know what disappoints me about club rugby these days? When the match is over and the boys get cleaned up they all get in their cars and go home. I'd like to see a return to the old days where the after match piss ups were the main reason for playing the game. Singing songs and getting nude and running around and wrestling each other and smashing some clubhouse furniture and waking up under the goalposts. That's team bonding right there.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You know what disappoints me about club rugby these days? When the match is over and the boys get cleaned up they all get in their cars and go home. I'd like to see a return to the old days where the after match piss ups were the main reason for playing the game. Singing songs and getting nude and running around and wrestling each other and smashing some clubhouse furniture and waking up under the goalposts. That's team bonding right there.

That wont happen, we are in a world that wants to;
legalise marijiwanah.
ban nuerophen.
FF (Folau Fainga'a).jpg

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Not many clubhouses left :(

And what about the boat races?
A lost skill for the current players.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

nanny-state-poster-400x372.jpg

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Also "many moons" ago in the deep dark past - probably early last year ;) I made a comment about finishing the SS season early was detrimental to those young players who just want to play rugby.

At the time I said that perhaps they can go back to their old "local" club and play the last few games of their competition.

Well the Central Coast Rugby Union has blown that one out of the water by banning any SS players for coming back to play for the old local club. Apparently it is unfair and could potentially put one of the top clubs out of the semis.

Where do the young players go now for a game of Rugby on a Saturday ??????
Most ridiculous post in the thread.

Your son & his mates are not victims by being limited to 18 round games.

As to your question about where does a young bloke go for a game of Rugby,
What about the guys you are happy to be benched by the SS blow ins?
Why should they only get 14 games because some guys want more than 18 games?
Good on CCRU

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Most ridiculous post in the thread.

Your son & his mates are not victims by being limited to 18 round games.

As to your question about where does a young bloke go for a game of Rugby,
What about the guys you are happy to be benched by the SS blow ins?
Why should they only get 14 games because some guys want more than 18 games?
Good on CCRU

Sorry I hit you in a personal "sore spot" ILTW. If you knew about the CCRU decision you would know that some of the clubs wanted this to be only for senior players (they wanted colts to be able to come back). Guess they had a lot of colts playing in Sydney.

I'd say you are from the coast seeing you know both draws so well.

And if you knew the thinking of the CC Coach involved, you would also know that the SS players are required to start from the bench, like any reserve. So no players are benched for the "blow ins". And the Sydney players are required to drive up the expressway to get to training.

So please don't talk as if the "blow ins" get an easy ride.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm against stacking teams at the pointy end of the season,whether it be Soup players coming back to SS or your example.

If the SS players were not going to take playing time off local players,there would be no point in participating :)

Want to be a big fish in a small pond?
Play in the CC comp.
Want to test yourself in the best competition?
Play in SS

But not both .

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How good is this, Shute Shield bringing players through to the next level, and then giving back to the Juniors.

Great camps!!!!

JANUARY CAMPS:
MANLY
WHEN: Wednesday 11th & Thursday 12th January 2017
WHO: Rugby players aged U6 - U14
TIME: 9am - 3pm each day (After Camp Care Available)
WHERE: Allambie Oval, 165 Allambie Road, Allambie Heights
REGISTER: https://www.trybooking.com/NZFC

MANLY
WHEN: Tuesday 24th & Wednesday 25th January 2017
WHO: Rugby players aged U6 - U14
TIME: 9am - 3pm each day (After Camp Care Available)
WHERE: Denzil Joyce Oval, Abbott Road, North Curl Curl
REGISTER: https://www.trybooking.com/NZJP

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dave,

This type of thing should only make the ARU realise how important the SS (and equivalent levels in other cities) is to the fabric of the game in this country.
Just spent 2 weeks in NZ: on most ovals/fields they don't even take their goal posts down over summer - no wonder they're better goal kickers than us! That will be my next crusade!:cool:

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Just spent 2 weeks in NZ: on most ovals/fields they don't even take their goal posts down over summer - no wonder they're better goal kickers than us! That will be my next crusade!

But they are considerably further behind us in the cricket. We have our priorities screwed up but at least it's confirming why we don't see our posts all year round.

Hopefully as 7's picks up and we can win more medals, we might see a few more year round rugby fields.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave,

This type of thing should only make the ARU realise how important the SS (and equivalent levels in other cities) is to the fabric of the game in this country.
Just spent 2 weeks in NZ: on most ovals/fields they don't even take their goal posts down over summer - no wonder they're better goal kickers than us! That will be my next crusade!:cool:

IS - I think things are moving in a good direction.

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)

I agree absolutely. Unfortunately social media and every player being their own paparazzi has lead us down this path.... no one can afford to let their hair down anymore, the message being they are representing the club etc. I remember the first 20 minutes after players starting arriving at training on a Tuesday was hearing about who ended up where, with whom, doing what on Saturday night.... now they all know by 9am Sunday.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Training restarts tomorrow so we should wait & see if there has been any improvement.Don't wish to name names but my information was that in the Nov/Dec period ,my comments applied to most clubs.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree absolutely. Unfortunately social media and every player being their own paparazzi has lead us down this path.. no one can afford to let their hair down anymore, the message being they are representing the club etc. I remember the first 20 minutes after players starting arriving at training on a Tuesday was hearing about who ended up where, with whom, doing what on Saturday night.. now they all know by 9am Sunday.

The kids these days!

Back in my day, we waited 72 hours to gossip!

This is why millennials are the most fucked up generation ever! Well, this and the participation trophies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

I guess it's just a different generation, being 25 I think the concept of doing the whole "staying for drinks" thing sounds cool but at the same time I have zero interest in participating. I'd rather hang out with the footy mates at the local pub or be with my non-rugby friends after spending all day with the footy mates

Status
Not open for further replies.