• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Totally random but I was thinking about why SS just doesn't appeal to the masses. Yes there are all the reasons hashed and bashed on this forum but something jumped out as I prepare for a little holiday to the US and planning sporting experiences.

SS Clubs have no identity, generally speaking. Yes they have tradition, passion and everything else, but how do you appeal to the uninitiated. So far there's a Marlin, two pirates, an emu, a rat and a stag. None of which I have really ever seen as marketed, except maybe Manly - and that could more be due to my own preferences.

I'm love rugby but must admit to ignorance of what a "Two Blue" would look like other than a winger after being caught in a rolling maul; would Randwick adopt a green horse galloping on Coogee Beach; does Angus Young spruik for Uni and should there be a huge pile of logs at TG Milner.

This is not to say these identities don't exist, I just don't know about them. How do you get people not already involved to identify with your club? How do you "sell" the Club and bring attention to it in a quick, easy and identifiable way.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
17458272_10155201345141584_5649708424127266989_n.png

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Totally random but I was thinking about why SS just doesn't appeal to the masses. Yes there are all the reasons hashed and bashed on this forum but something jumped out as I prepare for a little holiday to the US and planning sporting experiences.

SS Clubs have no identity, generally speaking. Yes they have tradition, passion and everything else, but how do you appeal to the uninitiated. So far there's a Marlin, two pirates, an emu, a rat and a stag. None of which I have really ever seen as marketed, except maybe Manly - and that could more be due to my own preferences.

I'm love rugby but must admit to ignorance of what a "Two Blue" would look like other than a winger after being caught in a rolling maul; would Randwick adopt a green horse galloping on Coogee Beach; does Angus Young spruik for Uni and should there be a huge pile of logs at TG Milner.

This is not to say these identities don't exist, I just don't know about them. How do you get people not already involved to identify with your club? How do you "sell" the Club and bring attention to it in a quick, easy and identifiable way.

One of the reasons we changed from being the "Blues" to the "Marlins" 20 years ago. It was resisted by some at the time, but there would be very little if any disagreement now.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What are people's thoughts on this?

Gordon club should really be one of the biggest and best. Not sure how accurate the memory is, but I seem to recall the ground announcer saying at half-time a couple of years ago that Gordon has more juniors than any other club in Australia.

Last year we went to watch the Woodies play there, the northern seats were half full. Once upon a time, that seating was always jam-packed with vociferous Gordon supporters, to the extent that Gordon always ran towards that end in the second half, if at all possible. And it lifted the team enormously.

It would be great to see those days again. No reason why not?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Launched the Marin burgers today - dam fine feed.

Tummy Carter chalked up 200 games today - mighty fine effort when he's already had 70 odd at the Tahs.

Been a battle since 1906 - 200 games V uni, the teams of 1906.

dd.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gordon club should really be one of the biggest and best. Not sure how accurate the memory is, but I seem to recall the ground announcer saying at half-time a couple of years ago that Gordon has more juniors than any other club in Australia.

Last year we went to watch the Woodies play there, the northern seats were half full. Once upon a time, that seating was always jam-packed with vociferous Gordon supporters, to the extent that Gordon always ran towards that end in the second half, if at all possible. And it lifted the team enormously.

It would be great to see those days again. No reason why not?
Was that since hey lost/got rid of their club over the road?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well done Marlins, and thank you Sportsbet $2.50 was too good to pass up :)

Big success at Gordon today !
Very healthy crowd,seemed like most were spending more than the foregone gate money.

The locals won 4's, had 3's stolen from them after the bell,then things got progressively worse.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Results from Forshaw:
4th grade -- Wicks 24-13
3rd grade -- Wicks 52-17
2nd grade -- Wicks 29-20
1st grade -- Souths 39-14

Souths too good in attack and defence in 1st grade and Wicks were their own worst enemy with poor ball control, lack of support play and stupid kicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.