• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Restraint got the better of me. Now resolved.

Referee had an amazing influence on this outcome. Clear try denied near halftime. Offside rules on kick chase ignored. Norths should have been down to 14 at the 52nd min. Outright incompetence from full officiating crew. AR's absent. Severe tip tackle missed , one of the big strong men who couldn't do his job in the scrum proved quite adept at tipping halfbacks on their head. No sanction and now the Nths crew mounting a "not us " defence on another site.

Interesting that the Nths 7 seems to have completed the full referee control course from the McCaw Institute via correspondence. Certainly paid off big time in this game.

You would have hoped a Super Rugby ref and aspiring Test official would have better skills and knowledge of the game. The fear of making the correct and player safety focussed call as evidenced in the Lions test and the Super Rugby final obviously lost on this clown.

Should get a spell in 2nd grade Colts to reflect.

Hopefully the karma bus revving up.

Get stuck right in Woodies, straight up the centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTS

Stan Wickham (3)
Restraint got the better of me. Now resolved.

Referee had an amazing influence on this outcome. Clear try denied near halftime. Offside rules on kick chase ignored. Norths should have been down to 14 at the 52nd min. Outright incompetence from full officiating crew. AR's absent. Severe tip tackle missed , one of the big strong men who couldn't do his job in the scrum proved quite adept at tipping halfbacks on their head. No sanction and now the Nths crew mounting a "not us " defence on another site.

Interesting that the Nths 7 seems to have completed the full referee control course from the McCaw Institute via correspondence. Certainly paid off big time in this game.

You would have hoped a Super Rugby ref and aspiring Test official would have better skills and knowledge of the game. The fear of making the correct and player safety focussed call as evidenced in the Lions test and the Super Rugby final obviously lost on this clown.

Should get a spell in 2nd grade Colts to reflect.

Hopefully the karma bus revving up.

Get stuck right in Woodies, straight up the centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which "other site" out of interest

KiwiBattler

Bob McCowan (2)
The fear of making the correct and player safety focussed call as evidenced in the Lions test and the Super Rugby final obviously lost on this clown.

Both decisions were with the huge support of the TMO. In fact the first instance was the result of the TMO specifically stopping the game for review.

Anyway, I wasn't there so I can't comment too much, but Park footy officiating can definitely be far from satisfactory sometimes however I think that's just the nature of the game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You know he's a super ref, not just a park footy ref?

Souths were on the wrong side of 50/50 calls all day, but I don't think many,if any were outrageous. But it definitely had a negative cumulative effect on their chances.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You know he's a super ref, not just a park footy ref?

Souths were on the wrong side of 50/50 calls all day, but I don't think many,if any were outrageous. But it definitely had a negative cumulative effect on their chances.
Anyone know why 7TWO is not able to provide a TMO facility as the ABC used to do?

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There would be some kind of overhead involved, training, admin, whatever, they are running pretty skinny on costs, I assume.

Can't say I am suprised that they do not want the added responsibility and potential to fark up.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Can't say I am suprised that they do not want the added responsibility and potential to fark up.[/quote]
There would be some kind of overhead involved, training, admin, whatever, they are running pretty skinny on costs, I assume.

Can't say I am suprised that they do not want the added responsibility and potential to fark up.

Hard to imagine that there would have been too much technology required to catch this. Open eyes and mind would have been enough

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 231

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It does look pretty blatant, for sure. Think I remember it, and I was a bit surprised that it did not result in a card.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's just poor refereeing, using more cameras doesn't trump incompetence.

Just like the day before when Nick Kellaway went to town on Needs.
They saw it, and penalised him for punching, no further sanction.
I didn't think punching like a girl was a mitigating factor?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Bounce of the ball.
Rub of the greens.
I'm quite happy with refs doing the best they can.

So am I, Dave. At the end of the day the game is won and lost by the competitors, blaming the referee is not going to help anybody win.

Can you guys still do it? I was just amazed watching that game. Everything we did in the first half turned to gold.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So am I, Dave. At the end of the day the game is won and lost by the competitors, blaming the referee is not going to help anybody win.

Can you guys still do it? I was just amazed watching that game. Everything we did in the first half turned to gold.

Yep & Yep,
Since last weeks game i haven't complained about the ref - but the pea was blown out of the whistle. I didn't think the game in general was allowed to flow and that effected both sides - these things happen, no sweat.

- 6 zip penalty count early, including a yellow for repeated infringements - how many times can you repeat something so early in the game.
- 2 intercept tries, and a penalty try, these things happen.

But i think the best team won on that day.

Refs can see things differently;
Our last game against the rats we had the pill, their centre tackled our 12 and hit the ball forward picked up the pill and scored.
Against the Woods same thing happened, but woods had the pill, our 13 did exactly the same thing and it got called back.
Yeah it hurts but I'd much rather officials making the call and some times making errors than TMO getting involved.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Should be two epic games this weekend. Could not be scripted better. I am honestly not at all confident, the only chance we have got is to slow it right down and do them over in the scrums. That is their only weakness, IMHO. Compared to us, that is.

Gee they are an impressive side, I hope Cron can get some of whatever it is into the Tahs set up.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Have watched norths twice in the last few weeks and was in awe at:

*the speed of recycling - they play at such tempo with quick excellent service from the halfback that they don't give teams time to realign in defence
*the line speed in defence - they do this all game and make it very hard for the opposition to get anywhere
*their contesting at the breakdown - particularly Will Miller - even if they don't win the ball they slow the opposition down.

While I support another club, I think Norths will be really hard to beat.

Having said that, I think refereeing will play a big part in the games, particularly yellow cards. Across the four grades of quarter finals I watched on Sat and then again on Sunday, yellow cards were handed out like lollipops - particularly to the teams leading the match (unconscious leveling up by the refs?? - I don't know but it seemed like it) with a number of instances of two in the bin in the last 5 minutes or so.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^Scrums are their Achilles heel.
Refs haven't been shy at dishing out yellows at scrum time in the last few weeks,.
Last week he cardedd wicks props in consecutive scrums!

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)

Hard to imagine that there would have been too much technology required to catch this. Open eyes and mind would have been enough[/quote]

Apparently Angus Gardner thought that this was a 'good tackle'?!? Any decent referee would have recognised that this was a blatant piece of foul play and given the Norths player a red card. This tackle probably would have received a high grading, and based on recent judiciary rulings, resulted in a suspension in the order of 10-14 weeks. But because the referee was incompetent, the Norths player remained on the field, and of course will be eligible to play the rest of the finals series - while the Souths halfback was knocked senseless and had to leave the field. So much for maintaining player safety!!

Status
Not open for further replies.