• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Show-n-go

Why take a chance on a referee error and run it dead? Dumb, perhaps shouldn't have been a penalty but dumb because he's created a chance for the referee to make a mistake when he didn't have to.

Because that's not actually a thing

why run with the ball and take a chance on human error that the ref will call a knock on? May as well kick it away as running it creates a chance for the referee to make a mistake

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I read somewhere that it will be handed over to West Tigers as a training facility. Not sure if they're planning to play out of there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Because that's not actually a thing

why run with the ball and take a chance on human error that the ref will call a knock on? May as well kick it away as running it creates a chance for the referee to make a mistake

That the stupidest post I've read for a while. Well done.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Very vague. Doesn't actually say it is being redeveloped as a playing ground.

Mentions match day facilities.

I am thinking Saturday might be the last Union match played there.

Any one know where the pirates are moving to?

I'm not sure that Wests are on the way out. The article talks about match day facilities for local sporting teams - which I assume includes Wests, and Wests are mentioned at the end of the article as well.

Clearly the Tigers are going to be the priority as it will contain a high performance centre for them. If Wests play their cards right and they get some sort of co-operation from the council and the Tigers they might be able to turn this into a real positive. The rugby section of a larger Wests Tigers sporting franchise? Some access to the HPF? Links to the rugby community at Cambelltown? This could be a big win for Wests.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm not sure that Wests are on the way out. The article talks about match day facilities for local sporting teams - which I assume includes Wests, and Wests are mentioned at the end of the article as well.

Clearly the Tigers are going to be the priority as it will contain a high performance centre for them. If Wests play their cards right and they get some sort of co-operation from the council and the Tigers they might be able to turn this into a real positive. The rugby section of a larger Wests Tigers sporting franchise? Some access to the HPF? Links to the rugby community at Campbelltown? This could be a big win for Wests.

Sounds incredibly logical and forward thinking. Never mind, NSW Rugby will get involved and that will be the end of such silliness:p

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
The ground is being demolished & rebuilt over the next 2 years.
Wests Tigers are contributing financially to the process.
Wests Tigers will have a high performance centre there when finished.
There will be other facilities there for other local groups also.
Wests Pirates will also return there when finished, with facilities &
part of the refurbishment devoted solely to their use.
The Eastern grandstand will be demolished & not rebuilt. This
area will be a "hill".
The goal posts are the property of West Harbour.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sounds incredibly logical and forward thinking. Never mind, NSW Rugby will get involved and that will be the end of such silliness:p

In the future I tend to think that elite sports organisations will run multiple sports for a number of reasons. Once people get beyond the parochial and the emotional it provides the most efficient and economic use of very expensive resources.

There are examples of this which have existed on a smaller scale for a while; back when I was playing subbies many years ago we used to play against Arncliffe Scots. Rugby was one of their smaller sports (1 or 2 teams IIRC), league was their main winter sport, but they also had soccer teams and in summer baseball and cricket teams.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
We could do worse than looking to Europe and learning from the big sporting clubs like Galatasaray. Soccer is its biggest success, but many other sports operate out of its premises and under the same name.
Sharing expensive infrastructure and office systems would be one cost minimising advantage, and I'd like to see Wests Tigers and Wests Rugby start that cooperative ball rolling.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't WH colts play at St Luke's?

I imagine there aren't the greatest facilities there but it might be on the cards

They could use St Lukes for training.

If they want half decent facilities in the general area for games their options include:
Belmore Sports Ground
Marrickville Oval
Drummoyne Oval

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
St Lukes!!!!!! Brings back some memories, Fort Street used to play cricket there. Probably still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.