• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Perhaps they don't get the catering at NSO, but they would get it at most grounds.
Yes, for games played at club grounds that’s correct , but I am referring to the Grand Finals which have been at North Sydney Oval & this year’s G.F. which will not be at a club ground & catering profits will not go to the clubs.That’s my point.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, for games played at club grounds that’s correct , but I am referring to the Grand Finals which have been at North Sydney Oval & this year’s G.F. which will not be at a club ground & catering profits will not go to the clubs.That’s my point.

You're right about that, but I thought we were talking about semi-finals at club grounds.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
And with Northern Suburbs not qualifying for a home final finishing 4th, having the double-header at NSO strips valuable income from two clubs.
SRU are making curious decisions this year.

I personally think it's a great idea having a double header for the semi finals- should bring a bumper crowd and provide a great atmosphere for the day. The only thing that would make it fair would be if they had the games at a neutral venue, perhaps Brookvale Oval next year?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
They are correct.

Got it. Definately some confused people including me around. I thought they were playing this weeks games at North Sydney oval but they are next weeks semi finals. The "qualifying finals" are this weekend and are at the respective top 3 finishers home grounds. That makes more sense.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
I personally think it's a great idea having a double header for the semi finals- should bring a bumper crowd and provide a great atmosphere for the day. The only thing that would make it fair would be if they had the games at a neutral venue, perhaps Brookvale Oval next year?

Your mention of Brookie next year immediately had me thinking Jubilee. Not'cos Brookie's a bad idea. I like it. But Brookie is tough for transport for those south of the bridge and beers are really limited to the Brookvale Hotel, with Manly Leagues a bit too far up the road to bother.
Jubilee's right on trains and buses, has a good pub at the top of the hill and St George Leagues is right across the road.
It would be great to take the big games closer to Sylvania and St George who deserve heaps, and give those Leaguey Shire folk a taste of big-time local rugby.
Jubilee's got great facilities for supporters and players and remains in a heartland a bit forgotten.
Yes Jubilee is tough for those on the Northern Beaches... Maybe RA and NSWRU could organise a sponsorship with a coachline to carry the masses to finals matches...

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
When talking of alternate venues for end of season games, it should be remembered
that the SRU have expectations of receiving funds (over & above the gate takings),
either from the local council , as in the case of NSO for example , or from the club ( e.g West Harbour) if the
games are held at a club ground. If the relevant council or club don't want to cough up
the money demanded of them, then an alternate venue needs to be found.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
True, but that can be a penny wise/pound foolish philosophy.

Clubs couldn’t pay more than a couple of grand for the privilege to host a semi.

But, for example, Rats would easily draw an extra 1,000 (people,not dollars) at home than they would at North Sydney.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Agreed. I'm not suggesting it's the correct approach, but that is the
existing approach by the SRU. As far as " a couple of grand " goes, in
my experience, that is not enough for the SRU to allocate the G.F. to a
club ground despite the potential benefits to the club & certainly not what the North Sydney Council paid to the SRU.
I imagine the financial deal is something similar for this year's grand final allocation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rat park a tricky place to play in windy conditions. Hard to see the Rats going down from here.

Can Manly play for 80 and get home at Camperdown?

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
Manly were easily the better team in a pretty entertaining first half, it was try for try with Manly getting penalty try for obstruction and then James Kane going in the bin for the same not much later. Manly had the better of the line out and the restarts.

Uni just went on with it in the second, the didn’t overplay their hand in the scrum. I’d also say they received some unlucky calls.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was huge again; I’d love to know what he said to the replacement front row when they came on as they just went straight through the Manly scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.