• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Emus return:

Do they, though? I saw a video from Parsons on the Shute Shield FB page and there was a lot of teeth-sucking and caution around "work" they had to do in order to get things together.

TBH tho a 2-grade + Colts is where they should be throwing all their eggs, along with a shortened season in order to get back in with the big boys.

Really, that is what Premier Rugby should be - 2 Grades max with a Colts squad as support. Would help a lot of clubs who aspire to professionalism.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Do they, though? I saw a video from Parsons on the Shute Shield FB page and there was a lot of teeth-sucking and caution around "work" they had to do in order to get things together.

TBH tho a 2-grade + Colts is where they should be throwing all their eggs, along with a shortened season in order to get back in with the big boys.

Really, that is what Premier Rugby should be - 2 Grades max with a Colts squad as support. Would help a lot of clubs who aspire to professionalism.

You're not wrong. I'd like it, but would not be surprised if they don't get it together before any cutoff. Two years hiatus is a big obstacle.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Why?

pretty sure most clubs have 4 grades doing very little as a group.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The key word in that para was "professionalism".

How many professional sporting codes have 4 Grades + 3 Age Grades playing in the actual competition?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gee. It is a bit late for that, if "professional" means no payments at all to players.
If Lindommer means full time rugby players like a Soup player, he's right.
Lots of Shield players get payments, accommodation, part time jobs etc but I don't know of any who are paid a full time wage just to play club (Shute Shield etc) rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Lindommer means full time rugby players like a Soup player, he's right.
Lots of Shield players get payments, accommodation, part time jobs etc but I don't know of any who are paid a full time wage just to play club (Shute Shield etc) rugby.

No doubt there is no player getting "a full time wage just to play club rugby". So if the choice is binary, they are all amateurs?

Mmmmm. Maybe it might come down to whether or not their footy earnings are significant in their overall income?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The key word in that para was "professionalism".

How many professional sporting codes have 4 Grades + 3 Age Grades playing in the actual competition?
How many 3rd and 4th graders get paid?
most lower graders hang around, spend $20 on food, and $50 on beer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I was always under the assumption Shute Shield should never be professional.

And yet we've got clubs who want to play in a national competition and think it'll work as-is?

What I'm getting at is this: if clubs like Sydney Uni, Randwick, etc. want to make themselves into professional outfits - and they must if that is to work - then there are going to need to be serious changes.

Maybe this is a chat for another thread, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
SydU, Randwick, Brothers, UQld, Tuggeranong et al have ALWAYS wanted to have their cake and eat it. To the eternal detriment of rugby in their patches.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
SydU, Randwick, Brothers, UQld, Tuggeranong et al have ALWAYS wanted to have their cake and eat it. To the eternal detriment of rugby in their patches.

Interesting comment, Lindommer. Can you expand bit on this? Because they are insiders, and make all the decisions?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And yet we've got clubs who want to play in a national competition and think it'll work as-is?

What I'm getting at is this: if clubs like Sydney Uni, Randwick, etc. want to make themselves into professional outfits - and they must if that is to work - then there are going to need to be serious changes.

Maybe this is a chat for another thread, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

At the very least they'd have to separate the professional arm and the community arm.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
At the very least they'd have to separate the professional arm and the community arm.

Agreed. With a particular focus on the community game. I've for a long time now believed that the clubs in collaboration with RA need to develop plans to vastly improve the community side of the game within each of their districts. From the ground up. Meaning the number one priority should be to foster new and existing junior clubs and actively work to develop real and lasting connections between those clubs and the larger district club.

Only then can their collective ambitions of transitioning into serious professional entities be achieved.

There should be plans drawn up that looks have each district club work toward having 12 (minimum within a 10 year period) junior clubs within their borders all operating at least one boys team from ages 6-18 and a girls team in combined age brackets .e.g. 6-7, 8-9, 10-11 etc. All with regular interaction with the district club. Coaching, clinics, getting them to games etc. With the goal of developing nor only local pathways for talent but lifelong associations and fandom of the club. It's probably the only sustainable means to that goal in my opinion.

The same for the Brisbane and Canberra competitions. It would also be the model I'd look to develop new district clubs (Macarthur) and in the larger regions like Newcastle, Wollongong, the Central Coast, the Gold Coast etc.