• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Telegraph is reporting that Shute Shield will start July 18.

13 rounds.
3 week final series.
Grand final under lights October 31.
Waratahs may come back to clubs between rounds 8 and 11.
A broadcast deal is being negotiated.
Possibility of 2 representative matches for SS players - city vs country, and country of origin.
No experimental rule changes.
Round 1 will profile Sydney Uni vs Warringah at Rat Park.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned. It's the first I have read of it in the papers).

I may be alone in this but I kind of want this to become the permanent schedule if a NCC becomes a thing. Perhaps with a 14th team down the line. Could run the Shute Shield as a straight round robin and then have the top 6 move onto the NCC while the bottom 7/8 played a more locally based Cup competition. Just a thought.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Telegraph is reporting that Shute Shield will start July 18.

13 rounds.
3 week final series.
Grand final under lights October 31.
Waratahs may come back to clubs between rounds 8 and 11.
A broadcast deal is being negotiated.
Possibility of 2 representative matches for SS players - city vs country, and country of origin.
No experimental rule changes.
Round 1 will profile Sydney Uni vs Warringah at Rat Park.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned. It's the first I have read of it in the papers).

SRU president Phil Parsons talking on Big Sports Breakfast, sounds like he was way more happy when Raelene was running RA

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/pIsUQ7.mp3

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looks really nice on TV. I often wonder if there's any plans to build a second grandstand on the camera facing side as I think it would add to the look in terms of the level they are aspiring to in terms of quality of their program if they had two grandstands full of people in them.

I haven't heard any talk of a second grand stand. The Eastern side is usually used for ladies day and special event & jumping castles. It would be a bit of a shame to lose that.

Its a magic spot to watch rugby and the catering is second to none, & kosciuszko pale on tap. Really doesn't get any better.

2 problems though;

The ground gets overused and the surface is not as good as it should be

& Parking is a nightmare inside of Uni

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
The ground gets overused and the surface is not as good as it should be

I've walked past the ground a few times over the last week and the turf has really benefited from the rest and I have to agree it's a great venue to watch a game (especially with a vocal opposition).

I'd commend the club for the way they've managed member communications and engagement over the last few months. It's hard to be too critical on organisations such as the Waratahs with people being stood down but they could really learn a lot from what Uni has done. Parramatta have also been pretty out there on social media which is good to see.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've walked past the ground a few times over the last week and the turf has really benefited from the rest and I have to agree it's a great venue to watch a game (especially with a vocal opposition).

I'd commend the club for the way they've managed member communications and engagement over the last few months. It's hard to be too critical on organisations such as the Waratahs with people being stood down but they could really learn a lot from what Uni has done. Parramatta have also been pretty out there on social media which is good to see.

I know they were trying to upgrade the turf. Using some hybrid stuff that has a % of synthetic grass mixed with real grass. Comes in from WA apparently. Same stuff used on the big stadiums.

Not sure who pays for it, as I dont think it would be cheap.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Former West Tigers utility Tim Simona to the Woodies. He was kicked out of the NRL for auctioning signed jerseys for charity and using the money instead for gambling. A few years ago now, however.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Former West Tigers utility Tim Simona to the Woodies. He was kicked out of the NRL for auctioning signed jerseys for charity and using the money instead for gambling. A few years ago now, however.

His biggest problem was his gambling addiction, from what I can see. If he has beaten that, he is still young enough to make his mark.

RugbyLover29

Bob McCowan (2)
Any updates on Recruitment side of Things for clubs

Heard that Richie Woolf to Easts

Gordon announced Harrison Goddard, Rodney Iona & Billy Pollard to the Club

Two Blues got Rory Garrett young 10 from UK should control their game well.

West Harbour Shaping up well got Cam Betham former Randwick Prop also Sonny Satuala, Sam Wykes former Woodies lock and force player, DP De Lange from QLD & Elliott Turner from UK,

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pollard to Gordon is interesting. Has been a requirement for some years that Brumbies squad are aligned with local sides and play for them when not required in Super. Does this mean that Pollard is on his way out of the Brumbies? Or is it a concession due to COVID-19?

RugbyLover29

Bob McCowan (2)
Pollard to Gordon is interesting. Has been a requirement for some years that Brumbies squad are aligned with local sides and play for them when not required in Super. Does this mean that Pollard is on his way out of the Brumbies? Or is it a concession due to COVID-19?

This was before the whole Covid 19 situation and potentially before he signed with Brumbies so he may not play for Stags any more however if he isn’t getting any games for Brumbies he may be released each week to get game time in Club Rugby

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any updates on Recruitment side of Things for clubs

Heard that Richie Woolf to Easts

Gordon announced Harrison Goddard, Rodney Iona & Billy Pollard to the Club

Two Blues got Rory Garrett young 10 from UK should control their game well.

West Harbour Shaping up well got Cam Betham former Randwick Prop also Sonny Satuala, Sam Wykes former Woodies lock and force player, DP De Lange from QLD & Elliott Turner from UK,

would love to see the Pirates in the hunt, that would be very good. Depth is always the problem, but it looks like the 1st XV will be competitive.

Gordon are on the up, with a pretty special batch of colts coming through.

Uni & Rats both with new coaches but both probably starting favorites to make another GF.

Plenty of talent at Randwick, Not too sure about Norths, Easts and Southern, of Newcastle/Penrith

not long now.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
would love to see the Pirates in the hunt, that would be very good. Depth is always the problem, but it looks like the 1st XV will be competitive.

Gordon are on the up, with a pretty special batch of colts coming through.

Uni & Rats both with new coaches but both probably starting favorites to make another GF.

Plenty of talent at Randwick, Not too sure about Norths, Easts and Southern, of Newcastle/Penrith

not long now.
Gordon always loses its colts to the east.