• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Both lineouts were terrible - Eastwood kept getting stolen going to 2 (again and again and again) and Norths couldn't throw straight when it mattered. Jeez terrible conditions for it.

No tries and couldn't get a struck match between them at the end, Woodies using the wind just enough to get them home.

Thought Pez missed a few high shots TBH but Sinclair had his chance to take it and missed. C'est la vie.

The winner today was Gordon.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
If next Sat is a sunny one, we should see a packed Leichhardt oval with plenty of running rugby. its the first time these 2 have played in a GF since 1977. Very good for the comp with no recent finalists contesting this. Expect Gordon fans to turn out in numbers and hope Channel 7 put the game on their main channel as it has in recent years - these clubs deserve the exposure.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
It is scheduled on 7TWO at 3 pm today. Pretty sure that it is also on 7Plus.

Thanks for the tip Wamberal. I still can't take a trick though. I recorded the game and the recording ended 5 minutes into extra time! Bugger. Obviously with the conditions it was no champagne rugby but a gripping encounter nonetheless.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Norths unlucky in the end, think they had the better game plan,

pretty thrilling game in the end. Sinclair will need some counseling,

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
If next Sat is a sunny one, we should see a packed Leichhardt oval with plenty of running rugby. its the first time these 2 have played in a GF since 1977. Very good for the comp with no recent finalists contesting this. Expect Gordon fans to turn out in numbers and hope Channel 7 put the game on their main channel as it has in recent years - these clubs deserve the exposure.

Looks like it will be raining all week/ weekend.
Conditions will be much of the same as Sunday.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Thanks for the tip Wamberal. I still can't take a trick though. I recorded the game and the recording ended 5 minutes into extra time! Bugger. Obviously with the conditions it was no champagne rugby but a gripping encounter nonetheless.

We were watching it live on SevenPlus and they showed the whole 100 minutes. To be brutally frank, there was nothing in the last 5 minutes that was very different to the rest of the game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Norths unlucky in the end, think they had the better game plan,

pretty thrilling game in the end. Sinclair will need some counseling,

I missed the first 30 minutes (I was in the gym) - I might be wrong, but I cannot remember either side actually getting very far over their opponents 22! Thrilling is not the adjective I would choose. Frustrating?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I will be amazed to see Eastwood get up for the final, they must be physically and emotionally spent

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I enjoyed that game, despite not having a dog in the fight.
There was a lot of good handling in bad conditions. Kicking became important and it was interesting to see how well or badly those skills were employed. The Woodies had Edmed and Bell (? Fullback) both delivering long range kicks with and without the wind. I think they were the difference between the two teams.
Another exciting aspect of the game was the hit ups and tackling of both sets of forwards. Some huge bodies in motion and winning the collisions was vital. Fascinating to watch.
The closeness of the scores and the extra time were icing on the cake as far as TV viewing was concerned, and the pressure on the goal kickers added to the intensity of the game.
I also got a lot of fun out of the Norths supporters on the wet, wild and windy hill opposite the cameras.
Who says we need a dry track and a big point score to appreciate the inner beauty of the game they play in Heaven?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I enjoyed that game, despite not having a dog in the fight.

Who says we need a dry track and a big point score to appreciate the inner beauty of the game they play in Heaven?

I do prefer a dry track, I must admit. Bell also plays fly-half, that was certainly a big factor in the victory, along with Edmed. But Pat Sio was my MOM.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
We were watching it live on SevenPlus and they showed the whole 100 minutes. To be brutally frank, there was nothing in the last 5 minutes that was very different to the rest of the game.

I actually thought Norths came out in the second half with a differnt game plan, and they started to hold onto the ball and put it through the hands. It was tough going and lots of hard tackling.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems like Gordon were a long way in front of any other side at the beginning and middle of the season. The Warringah game being the high point.

But it seems the last few games have been much more even affairs. What 1 point against 6th place Randwick, and Easts were definitely in the game for a long time.

I am sure they will start favorites but I would be expecting another close encounter.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gripping game in what were some pretty terrible conditions. I feel for Sinclair, as he had a couple of opportunities to get Norths through to the final off the boot. You'd have to think Gordon would go into the GF as pretty clear favourites. They've been the best side all year and though I didn't get to see their semi against Easts, I gather that they were able to wrest control of it after a bit of an arm wrestle.

What's the long range forecast for next weekend?