• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South Africa v Wales match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There is a trend emerging here that teams aren't kicking the penalties needed to win. MAybe it the ball, maybe its the weather but it aint happening. Everyone will be trying to work out whats going on with the kicking but there maybe some tactic adjustments in order.

Redshappy has been saying this for 6 months. It is crucial and a place where the Wallabies are definitely lacking.

R

RuckinGoodStats

There is a trend emerging here that teams aren't kicking the penalties needed to win. MAybe it the ball, maybe its the weather but it aint happening. Everyone will be trying to work out whats going on with the kicking but there maybe some tactic adjustments in order.

Over the weekend there was 56 pen attempts with 36 over. 44 tries with 29 converted. If there was a problem with the ball the number would be a lot lower.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
64% success rate though Ruckin from the worlds best kickers? Wilkinson, probably a career 85% kicker gets 2 from 7 kicking indoors? Some of the misses have been shocking with the ball starting wide and fading away from the posts

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Don't know about it being about the ball. Most of the kicks from hand have been good with great distance and accuracy.

I think Wales could feel very agrieved regarding the penalty that Hook "missed", I watched it three times on the box and everyone including me seems to think it was good. I think this should have gone to the TMO, is that allowed as the kick is the act of scoring and happens in-goal?

J

Jay

Don't know about it being about the ball. Most of the kicks from hand have been good with great distance and accuracy.

I think Wales could feel very agrieved regarding the penalty that Hook "missed", I watched it three times on the box and everyone including me seems to think it was good. I think this should have gone to the TMO, is that allowed as the kick is the act of scoring and happens in-goal?

TMO can check if a goal has gone over, but in this case one of the touch judges was directly behind the post in question and in a perfect position to make a call. I'm inclined to back that call, given none of the camera angles I've seen have given a better viewpoint than the one that touch judge had.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If everyone is missing them, we are less badly off, no? ;)
But you are right.

I think we will find that Steyn and Carter are not in the 'everyone' category. And there can be little doubt: Wales almost certainly lost that game v SA tonight as a direct result of missing 2 under-pressure kicks, one a drop and one a place, that were both perfectly viable kicks late in the game. Just one of those would have likely won them the game. Gatland referred to them both in his post-game comments, with what i think was a tear in his eye.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Touchie probably had the best position, so maybe shouldn't be too harsh. If Matfield and JdV gone, added to Bakkies, and factoring in that Smit has to play most of each game, the Bokke have some issues.

Exactly, standing under the upright watching the ball draw in once it passed the post.

Anyway typically the Boks did just enough again to win, move on next game.

Why would Smith have to play most of each game, probably come of the bench for the last 20 mins in the next game...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think we will find that Steyn and Carter are not in the 'everyone' category. And there can be little doubt: Wales almost certainly lost that game v SA tonight as a direct result of missing 2 under-pressure kicks, one a drop and one a place, that were both perfectly viable kicks late in the game. Just one of those would have likely won them the game. Gatland referred to them both in his post-game comments, with what i think was a tear in his eye.

Carter missed a few, but it mattered not. Wilkinson missed a lot, normally safe as houses. Argies too, and that is usually an Argentinian strength. Overall, most of the kickers were off. Anyway, one weekend sample, get a better idea after another week or two.

P

potjiekos

Valid point raised........ I concurr to some extent. However, IMHO, I do think that I don't exactly think there is anything 'afoot' with the poor kicking. This could be attributed to several factors........ nervous tension, technique, adverse weather conditions, errant touch judges, etc. James Hooks' "missed" penalty looked 'true' from where I was sitting (..the comfort of my Lazee-boy)... In this regard, I would welcome an IRB review of questionable or dubious decisions that directly results in the allowance or denial of scored points. Either by way of affording greater lattitude to the TMO to intercede immediately after the incident or granting coaches a limited amount of (NFL style)reviews...... *thinking*

P

potjiekos

TYPO => "...I do think that I don't exactly think..." Should be "...I don't think that..." (hehe!!)

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree we need a larger sample size, but IMO the major factor would have to be a greater will in the games I've watched to take penalty kicks from further out than teams would usually take them due to the nature of WC rugby and a greater desire to get some points on the board'.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Gutted Wales lost but SAffas were a diff team once subs came on. We've all been saying it, but it was painful to see the difference between Smit and BDP. If BDP doesn't start every game from here we know Smit and PDivvy have some kind of religious unholy pact.

Bright side for Wales - they'll take a lot of belief from that game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How good was Jamie Roberts??!!

Arguably his best game since the Lions tour either for Cardiff or Wales.

Loved every minute of this game knowing all the players from both sides so well and their strengths and weaknesess. Folks will see now why Wales 8. Faletau and 7. Warburton are players of the future. Having lost this game I am not sure if they will play in the Q/Fs, but as the 2nd youngest team in the tournament they demonstrated their promise.

Well done to the Boks for coming back from behind when I was starting to think that the label of an old tired team was appropriate. You never count out a champion or an ex-champion until the final bell.

So there is no confusion who I mean I thought that Frans, Henrich and Schalk played well as well as did Bismark and Francois from the bench.

Well done those men.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It seemed to me that the Boks switched on for the first 10mins, for 5mins after Wales scored their try (when they needed to) and, other than that, coasted. It's telling from a Welsh perspective that they could dominate a game for so long and still not win. It's the difference between expecting to win and hoping to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.