• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
SIRU Round 6 scores - Waratahs 33 d Leeton 20, Tumut 23 d Griffith 15, City 48 d Albury 10, Wagga Ag 32 d CSU 14

City on the charge big time. Looks like the points are really starting to flow there. should pick up another win this weekend you'd think.

Good to see Griffith regroup with obviously a far better performance than their last few weeks. Tumut still getting the job done.

from all accounts Leeton vs Waratahs was a physical bloodbath. Both forward packs bashed the daylights out of each other for 80 minutes. word out is that Pat Barrett off the bench into the second row made a significant improvement to their side.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
City on the charge big time. Looks like the points are really starting to flow there. should pick up another win this weekend you'd think.

Good to see Griffith regroup with obviously a far better performance than their last few weeks. Tumut still getting the job done.

from all accounts Leeton vs Waratahs was a physical bloodbath. Both forward packs bashed the daylights out of each other for 80 minutes. word out is that Pat Barrett off the bench into the second row made a significant improvement to their side.

I'd expect to see Wagga City continue to compete well, if you look at their results to date, they've been close encounters and were bound to get into the winner's circle at some point.

I heard that Leeton v Waratahs was a bash-fest with some sore bodies rolling down Baylis Street on Sunday, is this the way to stop Waratahs? Remember that Waratahs were without Sean Kearns, Sam Hobbs and Euan Bonner. Leeton were in front with 7mins remaining and had a few Yellow Cards on the record also.

Griffith unveiled a pretty handy centre combination on the weekend that caused some headaches for the Bulls. Tumut were able to keep on coming for the full 80mins which proved the difference between the teams on the weekend.

Off-field - The Blacks are onto a good thing at the Exies (back to the future), great facilities for the players and spectators would be very happy to have the deck area to have a few quiet beers while watching the footy. It's also a bonus to have the presso's at the ground directly after the final whistle. Surely will put their hand up to host a final's week later in the year and would be hard to go past.

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
Rumour coming from the sources at Ag College is that their after party on Sunday resulted in their first grade captain spending the night in hospital after falling off a roof. It sounds like the students have their mojo and culture back and the atomsphere around that club on Saturday was also electric. They aren't the most talented side in the comp but their spirit could make them a developing dark horse come finals time.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Ag College first grade captain spending the night in hospital after falling off a roof.
Sounds reminiscent of one Waratahs #8 who jumped off a bridge during their finals campaign a few years ago. Waratahs lost their mojo big time after that effort, hopefully Tom is ok.

willym

Bob McCowan (2)
I think this weekend will be a cracker at Conolly. Due to rude people getting married during footy season I wont be there but Ag College wont be taken lightly.
Good to see the boys at City get some reward for the hard working everyone at the club is putting in. I think every club has been thinking that it was just a matter of time for the Lollies.
Did Tumut take over their best or did Griffith play well?
Early predictions-
Tahs by 10
City by 60
Albury by 3
Tumut by 2

Leeton were brutal on Saturday but i dont think we will be the only ones who are sore. Sure to be a cracker in 3 games anyway.....

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
From all accounts Griffith kept Tumut honest throiughout the match and the Bulls took their best team.
I reckon the Phantoms will struggle to get up for another physical clash against Tumut
Albury were ordinary last weekend but how can you select Griffith "on the road" - No Thanks
City should make it 3 in a row on Saturday at the Uni
Waratahs to get the biscuits at Conolly but Aggies will hopefully give them a tough afternoon.
My winners- Tumut, Albury, Waratahs & City

Jock Mason

Bob McCowan (2)
From all accounts Griffith kept Tumut honest throiughout the match and the Bulls took their best team.
I reckon the Phantoms will struggle to get up for another physical clash against Tumut

For the record Tumut was without a prop, two second rowers, a back rower and a winger, some of which have been for a few weeks but that's footy nearing the mid season mark.....Griffith were also very tough, down 20-5 at half time it looked like the score might double but a very determined Blacks side came out in the second half with their centre pairing being a brutal combination. If that whole Giffith side trained and travelled every week they would cause some headaches but I get the feeling they don't.....

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Seven Preview:

Another solid round this weekend and some juicy matchups in the top and bottom half of the ladder with all games important for the later stages of the season.

Albury (6) v Griffith (7)

This match will highlight the character of each of these clubs; there have been a few hurdles for them both to overcome recently, Griffith with the departure of Willie de Meyer and Albury with the departure of key playmaker and all-round nice guy James Olds.

The Blacks responded well to the demands of their new coach Aled Francis on the weekend and showed plenty of promise on their home turf at the Exies (sensational venue guys). Their ability to turn up on the road will be tested in this match though.

The Steamers will also be tested as they look to fill the void left by Olds’ departure, however I’d be reasonably confident in the ability of Richard Manion, Blake le Cornu et al to fill that gap. The weather is getting to that stage of the year where Fortress Murrayfield really starts to come into it’s own. Cold, dreary afternoons on the border is just how the Steamers like to welcome teams to a tough game of footy.

CSU (8) v City (5)

Reddies threw everything they had at Aggies last week and will need to step up again for this match against a City team who have found that winning feeling.

Wagga City were threatening to win a game for the first few rounds of the competition and are now in a position to put three wins on the trot on the ledger which would probably let the ladder reflect their actual position this season.

I reckon this has the potential to be a bogey game for City though, they’ll need to stay alert for the entire game as CSU love nothing more than scalping teams at Beres Ellwood Oval!

Waratahs (1) v Ag College (4)

Another tough game for Waratahs this week, will they have their halves combination back in action for this game? How will the young Ag College team approach this game? Turn back into their shells or come out swinging against their older and more experienced counterparts? Is there any truth to the rumour that Sterling Ross is back for good? Is Pat Barrett really a second rower?

Tom “I believe I can fly” Macleay will need to have his Captain’s head screwed on this week as his decision making at key moments in the game will be important in this match. There is no doubting that the Aggies kids will bleed for each other which is an admirable trait but there needs to be a balance between passion and footballing smarts.

Waratahs were pushed from pillar to post by the Phantoms last weekend and may have got the scare that they needed at this stage of the season. It’s difficult to gauge how they are travelling to be honest, big wins are good for the crowd, but how are they travelling in their coaches eyes? What are the internal processes that are driving the team? Where should they set the bar?

Waratahs are the team everyone loves to hate and there is no shortage of punters just drooling at the thought of Waratahs falling over during the season. I’m not sure that this is going to happen any time soon though; they appear to have a depth of talent this year that is plugging some of the gaps left by injuries and unavailability’s.

Tumut (2) v Leeton (3) – Match of the Round

I’m tipping this match as the Match of the Round as I reckon these teams have more to play for this weekend and the outcome of this match has a bigger impact on the ladder from 2nd through to 5th than any other match this week.

How will the Phantoms bounce back from a physical hitout against Waratahs last week? Can they back that performance up on the road? My mail says that the Phantoms were well in the hunt against Waratahs last week but probably faded late in the game which led to some poor discipline and ultimately a loss. If the Phantoms can back their ability and play out the full 80mins, they’ll be a hard team to stop. They have the physicality to bruise their opponents, maybe with some more focus, they could be dangerous.

The Bulls didn’t have it all their way last week but will be pretty stoked to come away with the win on the road and will be happy to be at home this weekend. The return of Will Reynolds to the team will be handy for them and is something that will probably settle the team a little bit more than they were last week.

Tumut have got some areas of their game they need to work on but the biggest thing that I have seen from them this year is that they know how to make metres; they may not make big metres but they do make them regularly. This ability to make ground through their centres, forward runners and their traditional pick and drive style is proving hard to stop and is putting teams under pressure in defence, creating holes and mis-matches for Tino Manualevo and Co to exploit.

I reckon this game is a toss of the coin, both teams like playing tough uncompromising footy, they don’t shirk the hard stuff in attack or defence. Set pieces will be well contested, both teams have some big boppers in their forward packs who are always good for some solid tackles and they both have some dangerous ball players in their backlines.

Fitness and closing out the final 15mins of the game could be a problem for these guys albeit a problem for both teams. For me, the team that can remain focused for the full 80mins is going to put themselves in the box seat for this game.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
their centre pairing being a brutal combination
The availability or otherwise of these players could be very important to how the Blacks fair this year. Their 12 was a big older guy who directed well, their 13 was a solid young kid who will be hard to stop if he plays out the season.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
The Albury v Griffith clash is between the 2 most disappointing teams this year- The loser is almost cetainly out of the Finals race for 2016
City should beat Reddies but have been guilty in recent years of reading too much publicity about themselves when they notch a win or 2
Waratahs will win - every week their coach tells everyone how many players they have missing - same today in the DA - but have you seen their replacements - most of them are Rep Players - I'm sure the other clubs feel very sorry for their rotten bad luck.
Tumut v Leeton is anyones guess but I'll lean to Tumut on their home Ground

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
VALE Andrew Buttenshaw, "Coniston" via West Wyalong.

For those readers from around the old South West Zone, Andrew's name will be very familiar to you, I am saddened to hear of his recent passing and want to extend my respects to his family in this forum.

I first met Andrew in my role as a Development Officer with the Brumbies in mid 2003 and his involvement with the West Wyalong Juniors was central to the operation of the club.

Andrew was always keen to put his hand up and help out with Development Clinics for the juniors, school holiday camps and school sessions. His commitment to the game we love was exampled by him putting his hand up for many roles in the West Wyalong Juniors & Seniors, SIRRA Referee, SIRU Junior Rep Coach and generally turning his hand to anything that was required to get kids involved in the game.

The support that I received from Andrew during my time with the Brumbies was first class, he was always a volunteer that I could count on to help out when needed as his heart was genuinely in the right place to get kids on the park.

Rugby in this area of the world is poorer for the loss.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Enjoyed reading the article in the DA about the CSU lads.
"Honorable losses" Not at all. plain and simple.
"typical uni club" sorry, but you're far, far from that.
"We are not far away, it will happen". I'm closer to a traineeship with NASA than CSU are to a win.
"We are playing well and certainly dont need to to make changes" "We're thereabouts and not playing badly" I actually read those lines a few times to check it was said.
Season 2017, merge with City or fold boys.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Albury's loss on the Weekend ends any hope they had of defending their title
What has happened to a club that has literally gone from the Penthouse to the S House in less than a season.??
The writing was on the wall with their failure to look after the depth of the Club in recent seasons and they had more "guest" players jetting in and out that nobody hardly knew who was who if they weren't in the click in 1st Garde

Yes we'll hear its been all about injuries and so on but there have been rumblings down South all season and it will be interesting to see how the once mighty Steamers tug and puff their way through the rest of the year

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
The last weekends game at Connolly was an interesting affair. Ag College dominated the first half and deserved to be up by more at half time. The students will obviously learn to capitalise if in a position of that manner again. However the quality reserves of Waratahs against a few injuries of key Ag College personal was the difference in the second half.
Post game the reactions of the two teams was quite different. The Waratahs blokes seemingly shrugged it off as another win oblivious to the fact that when Ag College executed their speed game they couldn't go with them. In contrast the Aggies after the game were very upbeat, keeping positive and talking about the game as another step in their development by learning from the experience.
It almost defined the two clubs, Waratahs are in search of instant success this year while the Ag College is developing into another period of sustained success.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
You hit the nail on the head ' Old Fart'- Waratahs depth is far and away stronger than any other Club in the Competition.
When it comes to the big matches the depth of your bench usually decides the outcome and Waratahs have got it in spades.
The thing in other clubs favour such as Tumut, Leeton, Ag College & Griffith is that Waratahs 2nds will probably be in the Reserve Grade Grand Final and that could effect their Bench on the Day !
Interesting Days ahead

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree - its a pretty good mid season review by the DA
Finals certainties are obviously Waratahs, Tumut & Leeton but the final 2 spots are up for grabs between City, Aggies & Griffith
Aggies will regret their loss to Albury earlier in the season and Griffith will regret the one that got away when they lost to Leeton with a Penalty goal kicked against them on the last play of the night.
If City, Aggies or Griffith can knock off either or both a Tumut & a Leeton in the second round that will help heaps

Status
Not open for further replies.