• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
SIRU 59. Try's Angus Le Lievre x 2, Sam Bunny x 2, James Daley, Matt Meggison, Gabe Brown, Riley Brennan, Angus Le Lievre 8 conversions, 1 penalty.

South Coast 17.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Southern Inland - 72

Tries; S.Vunilagi 4, J.Stanton 2, M.Ivill, S.Fili, T.Manualivo, M.Meggison
Goals; A.Le Lievre 7, B.Whitely
PG; A.Le Lievre 2

Monaro - 0

16 SIRU Players named in the 2016 Brumbies Provincial Side to take on NSW Country at Bathurst next Saturday (3:15pm).
Congratulations to the following players;
Dan Patu
Tom Dunstan
James Daley
Matt Meggison
Dan Dowsen
Tanian Naude
Sam Bunny
Simon Vunilagi
Stuart Dyer
Tino Manualivo
Riley Brennan
Angus Le Lievre
Bart Whitely
Steve Tracey
Solomon Fili
Siti Watkins

A special mention to SIRU Player Tanian Naude who was named Player of the Tournament!

Just an FYI - the South Coast win yesterday was their 1st win in 10 years!!!!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/3965265/southern-inland-leads-team-to-face-country/?cs=149

Is the below team accurate? I know that the Monaro guys didn't do too well at the tournament, but guys like Mik Webber have always held their own at the Brumbies Provincial level.

BRUMBIES PROVINCIAL TEAM: Dan Patu (Leeton), Tom Dunstan (Waratahs), James Daley (Waratahs), Matt Meggison (Waratahs), Dan Dowson (Tumut), Tanian Naude (Ag College), Sam Bunny (Waratahs), Simon Vunilagi (Leeton), Stuart Dyer (Leeton), Christino Manuolevao (Tumut), Riley Brennan (Ag College), Angus Le Lievre (Waratahs), Bart Whiteley (Waratahs), Steve Tracey (Waratahs), Solomon Fili (Leeton), Siti Watkins (Leeton), Ashley Kenny (South Coast), Steven Prail (South Coast), Tom Bollard (South Coast), Andrew Goslett (South Coast), John Steele (South Coast) and James Bell (South Coast)

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Is the below team accurate? I know that the Monaro guys didn't do too well at the tournament, but guys like Mik Webber have always held their own at the Brumbies Provincial level.

Monaro had a massive turnover of players. Mik Webber(injured), Matt Caldwell(7s development), Dave Akkersdyke(QBN Prem rugby), David Hook (injured), Stan Williams(retired) all unavailable.

South coast have had a massive influx of players from Bungendore. Andy Goslett and De Villiers Hugo have both played a lot of top grade rugby in canberra.

Bryan Lenthall OAM was the head of selectors and worked in conjunction with the coaches of the 3 sides participating.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
The Brumbies Provincial C'Ship needs a shake up
Whilst SIRU has always fielded competitive sides at all the Tournaments the wheels have been falling off South Coast (who now need Bugendore's assistance apparently to compete ?) in recent years and Monaro basically weren't interested this year.
Maybe SIRU should just spend its resources and $$ on the NSW Country C'Ships in the future and let South Coast & Monaro fade away into insignificance

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe SIRU should just spend its resources and $$ on the NSW Country C'Ships in the future and let South Coast & Monaro fade away into insignificance

I think you'll find that this avenue has the potential to be explored further into the future. Money is the killer for this tournament though, particularly considering a trip to say Armidale could easily cost $15-20k.

The SIRU guys were lucky last year in that the NSW Country Champs was in Bowral and I think you'll find that SIRU stumped up for Accommodation and players made their own way there (or something along those lines).

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Would splitting SIRU into "city" and "country" teams like they do at the start of the year work?
Each zone(team) would pick a squad of 25 And still play two games,
City vs Monaro , Country vs SC , Monaro vs SC , City vs Country

That way the SIRU talent is spread across 2 teams which gives more people a chance of playing at a higher level

The SIRU team from the weekend was a very handy side, but if they did split it would make the BPT a lot more interesting.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Would splitting SIRU into "city" and "country" teams like they do at the start of the year work?

Good idea mate, however in my view, we should be looking to expose our players to something more than the BPT if we can.

When I was a boy, the Southern Provincial Champs included Central West, Illawarra, SIRU (City and Country) and ACT North and South. This was also contested in both Colts and Seniors.

Something similar to this in Seniors, Colts and Women's is something that should be explored further in my view.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting to see no Monaro players in the Rep Side - maybe players didn't want to play due not wanting to miss a club game?

As people may be aware - the Monaro 1st grade/2nd grade comps have combined with the Canberra 3rd/4th great comps this year - so this has possibly impacted Monaro rep side in some way.

Currently at the moment the Monaro/ACT "3rd/4th" grade teams are -

Vikings - ACT
Whites - ACT
Wests - ACT
Eagles - ACT
Easts/RMC - ACT
Uni-norths - ACT
Royals - ACT
HALL - MON
Goulbourne - MON
Young - MON
ADFA - MON
Cooma - Mon

Then there is a 2nd Division Monaro Comp that combined with South Coast 2 years ago I think -

Taralga - Mon
Bungendore - Mon
Crookwell - Mon
Jindabyne - Mon
Boorowa - Mon
Batemans Bay - South Coast
Yass - Mon
Harden - Mon
Broulee - South Coast
Milton - South Coast

What they could do is instead of having a full blown Monaro side - from the ACT/Monaro 3rd/4th grade comp select a ACT/Monaro Rep side.

From the South Coast/Monaro 2nd Div comp select a "South Coast" side.

So basically whatever comp you play in there is a rep side for that comp regardless of if your technically a monaro side or south coast side or ACT side.

I believe the Monaro/ACT side could possibly beat a Southern Inland side - there are alot of good players from the ACT playing in the 3rd/4th grade comp.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Sounds like a Good Idea to me - just make sure Brumbies Rugby create a Bye for both those Competitions in future on the June Long Weekend so that the players can be available -

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
It was always going to be a case of a Bridge too Far for the Brumbies Provincial side.
Most of the Cockatoos are from Newcastle & Illawarra which can hardly be classified as "Country Zones" these days.
After Country Week each year they should pick a Country Provincial side made up of Newcastle, Illawarra & the Central Coast and another Country side made up of the other Zones- they could easily find appropriate matches for each team and it would be a lot smarter & Fairer - but remember we are talking about NSW Country now and they are still talking about the Up the Jumper move in the 1970's !!.
Good luck to the Cockatoos in their next match but I hope they don't go into the match with Swollen Heads after basically beating a Southern Inland Zone team ?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
The only bloke from out of the SIRU zone who played well was Wes Malton from Monaro.

There seemed to be a few boys from outside SIRU who were possibly intimidated by the speed and strength of Country. remembering however that these boys play in the Taralga, Jindabyne competition each weekend. No offence to that comp but it is a long way below saturdays standard.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I reckon changes need to happen next year

Just let SIRU go to Country Week and let South Coast & Monaro have a game against each other

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I reckon changes need to happen next year

Just let SIRU go to Country Week and let South Coast & Monaro have a game against each other

The reality of the situation is that as long as we are part of the Brumbies Zone it won't happen, they have made it clear that the Brumbies Provincial 3 way has to be our priority.

We can go to Country week but i'm not sure the cost warrants the additional weekend of travel, we are not allowed to win and can't have players selected for the Cockatoo's so a bit of a waste all round.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I know this could totally shake things up and make it extremely hard for the Monaro/South Coast Sides to win a game but the ACT have the Griffins side (Which is made up of John I Dent players) - maybe chuck this side in there as a 4 team and a real test for the Southern Inland Side?

Or as mentioned the Monaro side now needs to be made up of ACT players aswell from 3rd/4th grade due to most of the Monaro sides playing in the 3rd/4th grade comps now.

Then have the South Coast side made up of the 2nd Div comp they are in.

Would a Griffins side just be an over-kill for sides like Monaro/South Coast?

As it stands Southern Inland seem to be progressing nicely and have no challenge at all winning the Brumbies Prov comp > Monaro seem to have gone a fair bit backwards this year struggling to field a side and dropping a game V's South Coast > and South Coast due to the injection of some "technically" Monaro players have moved forward and won their 1st game in 10 years.

I agree something does need to mix the pot up abit.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
To introduce a team to the BPChampionship from the JID has merrit but what would you use for the criteria of selection into the team ? Very hard to see a good fix to this situation & maybe all it will do is make the Sth Coast & Monaro teams even less competitive. Hard to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.