• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Maybe you need to find out why the 5 Clubs pulled out and DIDN"T WORK hard enough to make things Happen for their Club.........

Yeh well thats pretty offensive to be honest.

All the clubs and SIRU have been working very hard to make some sort of season out of 2020. The coaches and committees across the region have all been dealing with the same issues as everyone else in their workplaces and their homes, and on top of that dealing with an extraordinary set of circumstances as volunteers for the sport they love. To snipe from the outside is counter productive and suggests to me that maybe Club rugby isn’t the sport for you.

We have a rugby season with a 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, Women’s and most likely Juniors in 2020. It is a remarkable outcome in anyones books. As the saying goes - you can’t polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter. SIRU just rolled the 2020 season in glitter.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think the main reason Griffith may have pulled out might have been that a lot of Blacks players work at Baiadas chicken farms or the wineries. If Casellas or Baiadas had to close down operations for a week or so because of a covid worker it would be a big deal. I don’t remember any keyboard warriors making too many if any disparaging remarks regarding amalgamations/ moving on of certain clubs. Let’s face it Waratahs have dominated the Wagga rugby landscape for a long time. Aggies have been doing well for a while now. It’s well known Waratahs get the 1st pick of players coming to Wagga & Aggies get the 1st pick of players coming to CSU. It’s not a cyclical situation. It’s just how it is. When rugby hopefully returns to normal next season cricket scores are going to continue to happen in rugby season until something happens to change what now exists in Wagga rugby.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well said Namtrak but you completely missed my Point ( call it Sarcasm if u like) - I was inferring to Bubba that the Clubs that didn't apparently worlk hard enough " worked harder " than the Clubs who have a team and must feel very disappointed by not fielding a 1st Grade team - whoever u guys are I take my hat off to you for ttrying your hardest but probably not getting the response u would have liked

In simple terms do you both (Bubba & yourself) believe that the 1st Grade Premiership in 2020 should be awarded as per usual ( Yes or No) - obviously I am a No

My bad. Missed the sarcasm memo.

As for the First Grade comp, yeh I fully support it. If it’s an opportunity for a club that didn’t play finals last year to play this year then more power to them. The asterisk on the 2020 competition will be forgotten soon enough.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
I'm a bit biased because my Club has nominated a 1st Grade Team,
I get where various people are coming from in relation to the new Comp ( should it have Finals ? , should it be played for a Premiership? , is there going to be a Bill Castle Medal Winner, who wins the Club Championship etc etc )
Lets just go with the flow of the respective Club decisions and have some Rugby played in the Zone
Waratahs will no doubt win it again but my Club along with the other 2 clubs will be doing our best to be their opponents on GF Day

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Now with only 8 games ( 2 first grade , 3 2nds & 3 Womens ) a week, will we have enough badged referee's to go around ? Or we be looking at CTA for the bulk ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Now with only 8 games ( 2 first grade , 3 2nds & 3 Womens ) a week, will we have enough badged referee's to go around ? Or we be looking at CTA for the bulk ?
Referee Comms has been very quiet over the COVID period, however I would expect roughly the same numbers to be available which was somewhere around 4-6 regular referees and a total membership somewhere around 10-14.

If that's the case, I'd imagine that First Grade could be covered along with most Second Grade games. That's a total guess though and ultimately depends on availability.

Assuming there are 4x referees available every week, the challenge will be providing variety in appointments to both clubs and referees.

I'd be banking on CTA's being required.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
Any news on the Draw ?
There are a lot of concerns that a couple of Clubs with only 1 Team will be stacking their 2nd Grade ?
It will be interesting to see how the Steamers & Phantoms go in the 2nd Grade Comp this year ?
There has been a lot of talk about both Clubs developing their Juniors because of the shortened season so it will be interesting to see their eventual Team Line Ups
As far as the Draw goes the likes of City, Tahs, Tumut & CSU all deserve to be with their other Grades each Weekend ( 1sts . 2nds & Women) which should see a fair bit of travel for the likes of Deni, Leeton & Albury.
The Women from Hay will see lots of the Riverina this year on the Road with only 1 Team nominating
Lets hope the Tail doesn't wag the Dog with the Draw whenever it comes out

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
There is no doubt there will be winners and losers from the Draw when it is released
City, Tumut, Tahs & CSU 2nd Grade sides will always have to be at the same venue as their 1st Grade side in order to provide Reserves

Interesting to hear that the Central West Comp will be up and running on July 18 with All Clubs nominating a Team - 8 Team Comp with 3 Weeks of Finals and finishes on September 12- Coota host Temora in Round 1 to co-incide with the opening of their New Grandstand & Club Room upstairs

I was lucky enough to have the guided tour of the Coota clubhouse recently and the Tri-Colours deserve the wraps for that setup over there, its a fantastic asset for their club and the town. Well done to all involved.

Any news on the Draw ?
There are a lot of concerns that a couple of Clubs with only 1 Team will be stacking their 2nd Grade ?
Lets hope the Tail doesn't wag the Dog with the Draw whenever it comes out

In regards to the SIRU competition, I reckon the main focus needs to be on the teams having a dig. No, the draw isn't going to be fair to all but it'll be the best option under the circumstances. It would not have been easy to come up with that draw so let's focus on the fact that we have some footy in the area!! No doubt there will be concessions made where possible, it was never going to be perfect.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Clubs that made the decision to withdraw from first grade did so knowing full well that SIRU was always pressing on with a 1st Grade and Womens competition. They'd been saying that from mid april onwards. The priority had always been that . So for that reason a gala day concept was never going to fly. Its hard enough to get the players up for a 4 team comp let alone a gala day for no real purpose.

My opinion is that 4 teams is awful , and far from ideal . But it will be a first grade standard comp because if we let the standard slip ( or tail wag the dog) we will never get it back. I would venture to say that ( and this is across the various codes) that some clubs that have pulled out this year may find it even harder to get going next year. I may be wrong - i actually hope I am - but once that spark is gone, its hard to relight the fire. Thats a comment about all sports not just our comp.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
The Draw is out and the Jury is also out as to its makeup.
We were happy to have 3 Grades participating but pretty disappointed that out of the 7 occasions we could have all played together at the 1 Venue that will only happen on 2 occasions due to various Byes and our Teams been forced to split.

Our 1st Grade side has to play the same 1st Grade opponent side 3 Times in the first 5 Rounds of the Competition. !!??

Before someone jumps on their high horse and says it was a Tough Draw to do - I agree but the organisers made it tougher for themselves by allowing Clubs to pick their Grade - Albury & Leeton should have been told that if they wanted to nominate a Team it had to be either play 1st Grade or have a rest like some of the other Clubs for the remainder of 2020- Full Stop.

The only Club outside of Wagga in the 1st Grade Competition get 4 HOME matches out of 9 for the season whilst 2 other Wagga Clubs get 5 HOME Matches out of 9 - Go Figure

One Wagga 1st Grade Club leaves Wagga only once during the whole Season whilst the poor old Bulls leave their Home Town on 5 occasions.

Anyways its onwards and upwards with the Season and Good Luck to all Teams that are having a Dig

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Why just Albury & Leeton have to play 1st grade, what about Deni & Hay?

Tumut are the only team in 1st grade outside Wagga, should Tahs play City in Albury or Leeton just to make them travel?

Probably playing the same team 3 times early in the season means you line up with your 2nd grade and Women's more later in the season.

According to the DA there was an option to have the clubs more aligned but meant only 2 rounds for 1st grade and the 1st grade clubs said they wanted this option.

Overall, yes its a tough draw but should SIRU just tell 4 clubs to bugger off and not play this year and keep 4 others playing each other? I don't think so and I think SIRU have handled it all pretty well considering. Would have been easy to just so don't worry about it.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
Fair enough points raised

Someone told me that the last time either Hay or Deni played 1st Grade was in the previous Century wheraes Albury 1st Grade ran 3rd last year and Leeton won the 1st Grade Comp undefeated in 2017 and just missed out making the GF in 2018 so I reckon we are talking Apples & Oranges there. Remember Hay were only included in the 1st Grade comp originally so that their Female Team would be accepted into the Women's 10's Competition ??

I reckon Tumut should have been afforded the Luxury of having CSU, City & Waratahs play them twice out of 3 Times on Tumut's home ground Jarrah Park on the basis that the 3 Wagga Sides don't have to travel for their Away Games at all when they play each other

I also noticed that Tumut face a trip to Deni for a 2nd Grade match during the Season but Waratahs are the only Wagga Club that don't have to travel to either Hay or Deni in Women's or 2nd Grade during the season ????

We both agree it is a Tough Draw but there are a few Irregularities there that make you wonder what's going on behind the scenes in SIRU

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Righto guys, we've all got a point of view on the draw and we all understand that it was never going to be perfect.

Focus on the positives here please and enjoy the fact that there is rugby being played in SIRU.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Righto guys, we've all got a point of view on the draw and we all understand that it was never going to be perfect.

Focus on the positives here please and enjoy the fact that there is rugby being played in SIRU.

Good luck on the keeping it positive here mate. This place has turned into a shit canning platform of people and organisations. Lucky they’re anonymous in lots of cases as people have long memories

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
C’mon Mauler that’s a bit unfair. A lot of positive points are made on this forum. I think Athol is off the mark with his post. It is a home & away competition & that’s what the Bulls have got. 5 away & 4 home. Athol’s biggest mistake was using the term Siru irregularities & a certain club in the same paragraph. That’s what you’re upset about.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
C’mon Mauler that’s a bit unfair. A lot of positive points are made on this forum. I think Athol is off the mark with his post. It is a home & away competition & that’s what the Bulls have got. 5 away & 4 home. Athol’s biggest mistake was using the term Siru irregularities & a certain club in the same paragraph. That’s what you’re upset about.

Nah over time there are as many personal gripes and just as much dirty laundry aired in this place as there are positive ideas.
It was a poor post I agree but it’s like festivus here with the airing of grievances

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
I am Sorry to have upset or offended several people including ( Mauler, Bubba Paul Bristow, Bandar & SamYour mate) on the Forum for not being Positive enough.
But all I did was express my opinions with various facts & figures supplied that didn't seem to "Pass the Pub Test" as they say .
It's one thing to be Positive about many things but surely its also important also to put forward your Opinion if you think things haven't been done in a FAIR Way in examples given with the recently released Draws
Since I started posting on the Forum at the beginning of the season I haven't noticed lots & lots of Positive Posts so I hope I didn't scare them away and I hope Utopia returns to the SIRU Forum
I have no issues with some of you guys disagreeing with some of my Comments - it's actually Water off a Duck's Back but when Posts such as Mauler's that are sent at 4.39am in the morning with rants about "Personal Gripes" , "Dirty Laundry" and "Festivus?" etc it's time to move on before a Nuclear War erupts on the SIRU Forum.
All the best to all Teams competing when the Competitions kick off and hopefully if I return to the Forum again in 2021 I will have plenty of Positive Vibes, thoughts and Comments to keep everyone happy.
Adios Amigos - Athol

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I am Sorry to have upset or offended several people including ( Mauler, Bubba Paul Bristow, Bandar & SamYour mate) on the Forum for not being Positive enough.
But all I did was express my opinions with various facts & figures supplied that didn't seem to "Pass the Pub Test" as they say .
It's one thing to be Positive about many things but surely its also important also to put forward your Opinion if you think things haven't been done in a FAIR Way in examples given with the recently released Draws
Since I started posting on the Forum at the beginning of the season I haven't noticed lots & lots of Positive Posts so I hope I didn't scare them away and I hope Utopia returns to the SIRU Forum
I have no issues with some of you guys disagreeing with some of my Comments - it's actually Water off a Duck's Back but when Posts such as Mauler's that are sent at 4.39am in the morning with rants about "Personal Gripes" , "Dirty Laundry" and "Festivus?" etc it's time to move on before a Nuclear War erupts on the SIRU Forum.
All the best to all Teams competing when the Competitions kick off and hopefully if I return to the Forum again in 2021 I will have plenty of Positive Vibes, thoughts and Comments to keep everyone happy.
Adios Amigos - Athol

I’m not talking about you mate, more general chat over time.
Sorry if I wake early.
SIRU doing best possible job in a rubbish scenario if you ask me

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Didn’t offend me at all Athol. Enjoy reading your comments. Wagga has 3 of the 4 teams in this season’s 1st grade competition. The Wagga teams are obviously going to travel a lot less than the Bulls. You should reconsider about contributing to the forum Athol. People with differences of opinion are what makes this forum interesting.