• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Coming in to the finals I would suggest there are 3 short priced favourites.

1sts City
2nds City
Women CSU

My logic on the 2nds is that having a solid 1st grade season, has freed up fringe players for the dirt trackers. I doubt City will lose another game in either grade

Thats a very generous observation there from an Albury bloke ! The 'dirt trackers' have flown under a lot of peoples radars of late.
Leeton with its extremely strong squad still the team to beat in 2's I feel.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think he was player of the match in the 2017 grand final and then recruited to Canberra (maybe Vikings???)

Anyway I reckon the Phantoms would be disappointed with the choice of photo given he hasn't been there for a few years now.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
And here we are at the pointy end now. Some good games coming up this week with 2's semis and Womens.

City v Leeton - may well be the best game of the day ( i am a tad biased to be fair ) but i reckon our boys can scrape home in a nail biter. City by 5
Albury v Tahs - tahs would have got some reinforcements but i dont think it will be enough . Albury by 10

City v Tahs - Our girls looked the goods last week . I'm tipping 2 on the bounce v tahs . City by 12
Reddies v WAC - Reddies to good for the TriClub. Reddies by 20 plus

And the other game ?
Reddies to make it two in a row.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Has anyone heard the mail that the SIRU Judiciary won't hear a case for a player who has already been "convicted" before the judiciary? That is, the same judiciary members excuse themselves from the case and a new judiciary needs to be formed to hear the case - which takes time to form obviously.

I would understand that theory in more serious circumstances, but seriously...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
No PB.

The view is that a player who has been before the judiciary cannot have their case heard by the same judiciary members if they have to attend the judiciary again.

Allegedly, allegedly, allegedly.

It's an interesting view.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I am some what intrigued by your post Sam. Could you elaborate a little ?

On the secondary note , cant we celebrate this season even though it wasnt perfect cant we? I say good on the clubs that stuck it out. I say good on reddies for battling through and finally getting a win. I say good on Deniliquin for having the commitment and desire to keep playing. It hasnt been perfect and it hasnt been pretty at times but we had rugby in the Riverina and if you asked the people involved it was just as important as a 'normal' season.

What would we prefer to see ? No rugby at all in the Riverina ? It would be the death nell of the game if we just folded up and sat it out. I think SIRU should be proud that they kept going when all the nay sayers said no. No one got corona in the district, no club was ravaged by disease and no one died . We saw some cracking games played. Womens comp has been keenly contested, 2's has been keenly contested. 1's will have a tremedous final. Whats not to like ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I am some what intrigued by your post Sam. Could you elaborate a little ?
I think my comments are fairly clear mate, the judiciary (allegedly) excuse themselves from hearing a case for a player that has already been "convicted/found guilty" of an offence before those judiciary members.

I don't see why that would be the case, and if it is the case, why it's only coming to light now. This situation opens a whole can of worms for everyone involved and certainly hasn't been the situation in any previous competitions.

On the secondary note , cant we celebrate this season even though it wasnt perfect cant we? I say good on the clubs that stuck it out. Whats not to like ?

I agree that it's been good to have footy played in the zone, the clubs that have stuck up their hands all deserve a wrap as do the zone for keeping the game on the park.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
On the secondary note , cant we celebrate this season even though it wasnt perfect cant we?

I agree 100%. I think it’s been a great year for Rugby in the region. SIRU have done a great job to provide the support and encouragement to actually see a competition proceed. The clubs have worked together more than any season I can remember, it may even set a precedent for future years. We have showcased Women’s rugby in the region, which is fast emerging as the smoking gun of our sport. There has been more mungoes and AFL players than ever coming and trying Rugby, hopefully some stick it out.

For the Steamers we make no apologies for fielding a 2nd Grade side, we tried to patch together 2 teams but it would have been at the expense of the younger players. As is the case with Leeton our numbers have been boosted once the competition was launched. ( Despite losing all Wodonga players, Army and CSU.

All in all I think despite not being able to polish a turd, we have managed to roll it in glitter.

All best on the weekend Bubba.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks Kartman. I think its got potential to be a good game of footy. Whoever wins has to have their A game in place for the GF , because Leeton are pretty handy !

Many have been critical of season 2020 but I firmly believe that playing on and having a comp ( no matter how ugly) was the right thing to do. There may well be asterisks against the premiership trophies but anyone involved wont care and those that weren't, well that's their problem.

Perhaps The Glittering Turd Cup may be a suitable trophy for the future??

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Sorry, Whistle but it’s ridiculous having the finals at Leeton tomorrow if they don’t have any teams competing. I appreciate Clubs making the trip to Griffith to play in the normal season. It’s a long way up here and back. Why travel to Leeton when no Leeton teams are involved. Bloody ridiculous. Play in a central place like Wagga where most of the participants are or are closest to.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's just been one of those Seasons hasn't it this year in SIRU
Now we face the possibility that we may see Uncontested Scrums called early by Waratahs (YES WARATAHS!) due to the Board not allowing a 17 year old (Yes 17) from Temora to help out in the Big Dance.
Maybe a frontrower from either Leeton or Albury who play earlier in the day might be able to help out Waratahs on Saturday
At least one of the Waratah's coaches highlighted the woeful inconsistencies that have existed in the Comp this year - a la 2 Ag College Women being allowed to play for another Club on the same day earlier in the Year.
It's a bit of a mess but with what's being going down during the year so far it's not that surprising
It will be interesting to see the make up of all the players on the Waratahs bench on Saturday or is this just a big smokescreen to get City unsettled.
Good Luck to both Teams and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Yellow or Red cards issued on Saturday due to the lack of regard both these teams have for each other

DAILY ADVERTISER - Sep 23
Waratahs are facing the prospect of needing uncontested scrums after the Southern Inland board failed to give Luke Tudulu dispensation to play in Saturday's grand final.

The Temora teenager has played in the Wagga club's last two games due to a shortage in the front row.
However four games, which equates to more than 35 per cent of the season, is required to qualify for finals.
Waratahs presented their case to the board this week to have Tudulu eligible to tackle Wagga City in the decider at Conolly Rugby Complex but it was denied.
They are considering an appeal with co-coach Michael Davis concerned about risking the safety of his players.
"The number one thing, and the referees agree, that you have to make sure of players safety," Davis said.
"The most critical thing is having a safe and stable front row and I'm not putting myself in a position to pick somebody just to get a game started that is not up to that level.
"That's why we asked for dispensation for Luke."
Kurt Holzl has been at hooker for most of the season but is in isolation due to upcoming army commitments.
Harry Cook (broken nose) and Trent Martin (broken ankle) are also on the sidelines.
If their appeal is unsuccessful Rob Wiltshire will move from the second row to fill the void.
However he is their only option at hooker while Apimeleki Kula and Sam Palmer are their only available front row options for the game.
"We run the risk that if there is an injury we've got a grand final with uncontested scrums," Davis said.
"That's not good for the competition."
Davis was hopeful the board would allow the 17-year-old to play after linking with Waratahs after the Tuskers completed their season."From my point of view with the year we have had there has been a lot of give and take including allowing Albury and Leeton to play in second grade, when they are well and truly first grade standard," he said.

"They may not have known that at the start, but it was a decision made by the board to allow that, so they have been lenient in other areas."

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
Come on Mick. Time to be positive.
This whole season has been a challenge and good on SIRU for dealing with the issues that they have had to in order to get rugby on the field. The decisions that are made are never going to liked by everyone.

Great to see six different clubs represented tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

It's just been one of those Seasons hasn't it this year in SIRU
Now we face the possibility that we may see Uncontested Scrums called early by Waratahs (YES WARATAHS!) due to the Board not allowing a 17 year old (Yes 17) from Temora to help out in the Big Dance.
Maybe a frontrower from either Leeton or Albury who play earlier in the day might be able to help out Waratahs on Saturday
At least one of the Waratah's coaches highlighted the woeful inconsistencies that have existed in the Comp this year - a la 2 Ag College Women being allowed to play for another Club on the same day earlier in the Year.
It's a bit of a mess but with what's being going down during the year so far it's not that surprising
It will be interesting to see the make up of all the players on the Waratahs bench on Saturday or is this just a big smokescreen to get City unsettled.
Good Luck to both Teams and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Yellow or Red cards issued on Saturday due to the lack of regard both these teams have for each other

DAILY ADVERTISER - Sep 23
Waratahs are facing the prospect of needing uncontested scrums after the Southern Inland board failed to give Luke Tudulu dispensation to play in Saturday's grand final.
The Temora teenager has played in the Wagga club's last two games due to a shortage in the front row.

However four games, which equates to more than 35 per cent of the season, is required to qualify for finals.
Waratahs presented their case to the board this week to have Tudulu eligible to tackle Wagga City in the decider at Conolly Rugby Complex but it was denied.

They are considering an appeal with co-coach Michael Davis concerned about risking the safety of his players.
"The number one thing, and the referees agree, that you have to make sure of players safety," Davis said.
"The most critical thing is having a safe and stable front row and I'm not putting myself in a position to pick somebody just to get a game started that is not up to that level.
"That's why we asked for dispensation for Luke."
Kurt Holzl has been at hooker for most of the season but is in isolation due to upcoming army commitments.
Harry Cook (broken nose) and Trent Martin (broken ankle) are also on the sidelines.
If their appeal is unsuccessful Rob Wiltshire will move from the second row to fill the void.
However he is their only option at hooker while Apimeleki Kula and Sam Palmer are their only available front row options for the game.
"We run the risk that if there is an injury we've got a grand final with uncontested scrums," Davis said.
"That's not good for the competition."
Davis was hopeful the board would allow the 17-year-old to play after linking with Waratahs after the Tuskers completed their season."From my point of view with the year we have had there has been a lot of give and take including allowing Albury and Leeton to play in second grade, when they are well and truly first grade standard," he said.

"They may not have known that at the start, but it was a decision made by the board to allow that, so they have been lenient in other areas."

NeckThing

Banned
Fearless predictions for tomorrow;

Tahs by 3 in a tight one. They always turn it on in the big ones.

Leeton by 10+. It will be close early but the Phantoms will be class out wide. Good on both sides for entering teams this year, regardless of them being in the 2nds comp it’s great for the future of rugby that they are both still kicking and will provide momentum for next year.

Hard to look past reddies in the women

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Stab in dark selections for Today's GF's

City by 10+ - got the hit out they needed last time round against Waratahs and that narrow win would have helped them plan better for Today and eliminate any complacency.
In the earlier Grand Finals I'll stick with the undefeated favourites in each decider
Good Luck to all the Players it has been a tough year in more ways than one in 2020 and let's hope things will get easier in 2021

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Entertaining games yesterday. Would be great if some home clubs videod games and live-streamed them on their Facebook page next year. Does anybody consider Leeton would have been competitive against City after what was seen yesterday?

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
Entertaining games yesterday. Would be great if some home clubs videod games and live-streamed them on their Facebook page next year. Does anybody consider Leeton would have been competitive against City after what was seen yesterday?

Leeton were just too big for Albury on Saturday in 2nd Grade from what I saw on the Streaming but IMO they lacked a lot of mobility around the field and City would have run rings around them in the 2nd Half if they had played each other.
Well done to City in 1st Grade - they deserved the Premiership this year.
Can't believe the CSU Girls lost their Grand Final to Aggies - that would have hurt them big time as they were bundled out in straight sets last year and played their worst match of the season last Saturday by failing to take the WAC team head on down the middle of the Park.
The Good News is there is always next year for last Saturday's Runner Up Teams.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
With 2020 done and dusted it was interesting to speak with a few players and officials during the Week
Their line of thinking was that the Clubs who competed this year enjoyed the shortened season due to COVID and that there was talk of a push next season for the 9 Clubs that hopefully play next year just play each other once during the season and then have the Finals
The players reckon that 9 weeks would be good instead of 18 Rounds which does seem like a long time
Any thoughts out there on this ?
Maybe a 7s Comp could be played earlier in the season followed by a 1 Round Competition of 15 a side, Teams swap over their Home & Away games each year