• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs All Blacks : Soccer Stadium , Soweto

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Anyone notice on Nonu's break leading up to the final try he was running with one boot?

Nigel Owens also got sandwiched earlier in the game, it was good to see both sides stop and help him out (and the NZ medics see to him). Both of these incidents got people saying "that's Rugby".

Absolutely. That does capture the ethos of rugby and one that I hope is never lost from the game.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I remain astounded how Mcaw yet again avoided a yellow for the professional foul under his own posts when an almost certain try would have resulted from quick Bok ball.

An almost certain try? Hard on attack is not even CLOSE to a certain try. Sure, hate McCaw, but no need to twist the rules around to suit your argument - he bends enough of them as it is! Warning? Wouldn't have been surprised. YC? Like hell.

For what it's worth, he came in the back, not the side as the comm's said, & his feet were on the ground. Yes, it was over the top, but it was nowhere near as blatantly bad as Skinstad et al would make you believe. Reminds me, Skinstad let himself down on the comm's for that match. He's usually bloody good, decent analysis & offers comments which I really want to hear. But for this match, his commentary was based around pointing out AB infringements, whilst ignoring anything SA did. It was like having Scarfman & Dwyer in the comm's box. I honestly think he's seen your vid scarf and commentating as such. I guess that's something we are going to have to life with now, so well down Scarfman, you've achieved your goal.

Loved Burger's comments post match too when the Yarp interviewer was trying to get him to bag McCaw and call him a cheat (with McCaw standing right besdie just off shot!). Class comments, went up a long way in my estimation (as a person, has always been sky high as a player).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
An almost certain try? Hard on attack is not even CLOSE to a certain try. Sure, hate McCaw, but no need to twist the rules around to suit your argument - he bends enough of them as it is! Warning? Wouldn't have been surprised. YC? Like hell.

For what it's worth, he came in the back, not the side as the comm's said, & his feet were on the ground. Yes, it was over the top, but it was nowhere near as blatantly bad as Skinstad et al would make you believe. Reminds me, Skinstad let himself down on the comm's for that match. He's usually bloody good, decent analysis & offers comments which I really want to hear. But for this match, his commentary was based around pointing out AB infringements, whilst ignoring anything SA did. It was like having Scarfman & Dwyer in the comm's box. I honestly think he's seen your vid scarf and commentating as such. I guess that's something we are going to have to life with now, so well down Scarfman, you've achieved your goal.

Loved Burger's comments post match too when the Yarp interviewer was trying to get him to bag McCaw and call him a cheat (with McCaw standing right besdie just off shot!). Class comments, went up a long way in my estimation (as a person, has always been sky high as a player).

There is no such thing as a certain try but jeez McCaw was lucky to not see yellow there. With all the moaning about MaCaw over the last few weeks you have to agree that it's only natural that an incident like that will send heads spinning.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

The Kiwi comms I had felt he was a bit lucky to not be pinged. Had the Saffas got fast ball, they had an empty blind-side of some 15m or more and I think a try was highly probable. That said, I'm not sure the 9 for them knew that as he seemed to be looking only left. They probably would have tried to bash through the breakdown in the typical Boer way!!
He started at the back, but crept around the side to get where he was, not through the gate. I think he was a bit lucky really.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
There is no such thing as a certain try but jeez McCaw was lucky to not see yellow there. With all the moaning about MaCaw over the last few weeks you have to agree that it's only natural that an incident like that will send heads spinning.

Yes, most definately on an internet forum. But it was good to see the ref wasn't influenced to give a YC. There had been no warning, it wasn't a repeated infringment & it most definately did not stop a "certain" try. Hence, I can't even see why a YC should be discussed?

If it was done by Burger in the same situation, it wouldn't be warranting a mention, anywhere, by anyone.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes, most definately on an internet forum. But it was good to see the ref wasn't influenced to give a YC. There had been no warning, it wasn't a repeated infringment & it most definately did not stop a "certain" try. Hence, I can't even see why a YC should be discussed?

If it was done by Burger in the same situation, it wouldn't be warranting a mention, anywhere, by anyone.

There does not need to be a warning - if the ref thought it was a professional foul / cynical act in that area, they can go straight to yellow. There are precedents for this. Clearly Owens did not, and that is that. Still think he was a bit lucky.
I can't believe you think nobody would care if Burger did it, of all people!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not so sure about that MR. Had it been Burger, there almost certainly would have been outrage and demands for binning or sending off.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
There does not need to be a warning - if the ref thought it was a professional foul / cynical act in that area, they can go straight to yellow. There are precedents for this. Clearly Owens did not, and that is that. Still think he was a bit lucky.
I can't believe you think nobody would care if Burger did it, of all people!!

I stand by my comments. Owens got it right. McCaw was lucky not to get a warning & would have been unlucky to get a YC & I strongly doubt it would have been mentioned anywhere, by anyone, had it been done by anybody apart from Richie (or frankly, anybody dressed in green, gold & white).

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Interesting as if it was to be a certain try then we are in penalty try territory. What this is, is simalar to the Tahs Sharks game ealier in the year where a certain try was not deemed but Beale was still carded for his infringment. My gripe is not with certain players but the assistant refs. They interupt the flow of the game for the most minor of reasons but when they are truly required, the go missing in action.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I stand by my comments. Owens got it right. McCaw was lucky not to get a warning & would have been unlucky to get a YC & I strongly doubt it would have been mentioned anywhere, by anyone, had it been done by anybody apart from Richie (or frankly, anybody dressed in green, gold & white).

If the game outcome and situation was entirely reversed, and it was Burger, for example, I would be amazed if you really think there would be no comment.
There should have been at least a warning for that type of offence in that area. He was lucky not to get that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I had the NZ commentary feed and even the pea heads on that who couldn't even get the names of their own team right, said that Mcaw should have been penalised and probably yellow carded. They then went on the contradict / prove the Saffa and Aus point of view regarding attitude to refereeing in saying how great Mcaw was to dirupt that ball and prevent "an almost certain Springbok try".

MR go and review that part of the game the Boks had a 5 on 2 or 3 overlap less than 5 from the line.

Mcaw did one of the illegalities that I and many others have been protesting, he binds to the ruck and then pivots around so that he is on the side or at the rear, either contesting the ball or slowing it which he did in this case. He was told to get out by Owens but the damage had been done as the defence realigned. This was acknowledged by the Kiwi commentators. Professional foul in "red zone" = yellow card, just not for the ABs.

But just to make it plain that this is not a whinge this incident had no impact on the outcome of the game IMO but it is yet another example of the issues we have been discussing for a few weeks now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well done All Blacks they sure deserve their accolades and bragging rights at the moment. No other team would have beat the Bokke on saturday and surely a huge mental barrier they climbed to finish the test the way they did. I hate to even think that a ref take away the gloss of their victory and 3 zip revenge on us. McAwe was simply awesome for them.

For my beloved Bokke , well if you can look past the depression loss , then they sure can take a lot of positives out of this performance. They show a massive improvement compare to the previous tests and not all the gloom and doom I would think. Juan Smith sure my MOTM and made a huge differense. Schalkie sure played well and Juan de Jongh and Muskiet show they can play at the highest level. That tackle from Muskiet on Muliana was top class and we need Muskiet flair at the back. Juan defense was great and even Jean show some upward curve. Hougaard the best back by a mile and wish the day will come when we wont see this silly up and unders from our lot. We waiste hard earn pill and we have to play more with ball in hand and take it through phases. Matfield much better and the scrum was OK. Just have to add Bismarck and Brussouw to get our turn overs and FdP experiense and I can see us repair the proud in the Bok.

This one was close and we look ready to get back on the victory streak again.

Last thing I really enjoyed most, Schalkie being able to tackle a ref and a All Black, that surely made him a worthy MOTM for the test.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had the NZ commentary feed and even the pea heads on that who couldn't even get the names of their own team right, said that Mcaw should have been penalised and probably yellow carded. They then went on the contradict / prove the Saffa and Aus point of view regarding attitude to refereeing in saying how great Mcaw was to dirupt that ball and prevent "an almost certain Springbok try".

They said the same thing about Woodcocks charge. BTW, if you guys hate commentators, most televisions come with a mute button. And some Foxtel plans can turn off commentators and keep the crowd/field audio there.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
So the kiwi comms are terrible, biased, useless and one -eyed, unless they agree with the G&G p.o.v in which case they can be used as evidence... riiigghhtt... :)

I see the point though - if Kearns says the AB player didn't deserve to be carded then, you can sure as hell guarantee that to be right, given that he's always on the other side to those arguments.

Still don't agree personally tho!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So the kiwi comms are terrible, biased, useless and one -eyed, unless they agree with the G&G p.o.v in which case they can be used as evidence... riiigghhtt... :)

I see the point though - if Kearns says the AB player didn't deserve to be carded then, you can sure as hell guarantee that to be right, given that he's always on the other side to those arguments.

Still don't agree personally tho!

Who said that? I did laugh when Nisbo called Mils "Kaino" and kept referring to Francois Steyn, but someone else must have said all that other stuff. Oh wait, it was you! :)

M

Muttonbird

What is your point or are you just being wanky?

My point is: a picture says a thousand words.

The main points of that thesis wouldn't even be Dagg or the other two ABs showing elation at winning in that cauldron in the 80th minute. They would be Smit on one knee in the background, face in one hand, having made the final but crucial mistake (although you could hardly expect him to stop Nonu in the midfield at that point in the game) in his 100th test and Burger (I think) looking around, not with disappointment but with sympathy for his Captain, team-mate and (probably) good friend.

Forgive me for being sentimental but I'm a photographer and as such photos mean a lot to me. That pic says so much about the high drama of rugby when you know the context of that particular game and all the elements of a bitter-sweet story are present. It's something that words or video can't reproduce IMO.

M

Muttonbird

I think he is under the misapprehension that gloating is some form of humour.
Whatever rocks your world, Muttonbird. Karma is a bitch, best not to invoke its wrath.

I explained the photo thing just now.

I've been through enough pain with the ABs record in RWCs. I've watched all of the failures live - 91 Wylie v Hart - 95 Suzie the waitress - 99 Frogs on Coke - 03 "Four more years" - 07 Wayne Barnes - 11 who knows?...nothing I do has any effect what-so-ever on the ABs performance. If I'm happy now then I don't apologise.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I explained the photo thing just now.

I've been through enough pain with the ABs record in RWCs. I've watched all of the failures live - 91 Wylie v Hart - 95 Suzie the waitress - 99 Frogs on Coke - 03 "Four more years" - 07 Wayne Barnes - 11 who knows?...nothing I do has any effect what-so-ever on the ABs performance. If I'm happy now then I don't apologise.
No need to apologise Birdie, enjoy it. Sport and rugby have cycles, last year it was our turn and I'll take this revenge from the All Blacks on the chin a thousand times but I also saw two important Bokke like FdP and Brussouw sitting there in the Stand and hope Bismarck will be back this week. Hopefull John Smit and his Bokke will remember this incident when they hopefull lined up against the All Blacks next year.

By my standards to see Mrs Smit's tears when he got his 100th famous Bok cap wasnt a sight I liked. That tears wasnt joy ones and hope this was our last 100th test celebration of our proud Bok players.
Mind you this weekend its Matfield turn, hope its third time lucky!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Haven't heard a lot of Kiwis defending Mexteds commentry. He seems to be the Phill Gould of NZ rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.