• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs All Blacks : Soccer Stadium , Soweto

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the Boks really missed Fourie Du Preez, Bakkies & Bismarc Du Plessis. Nothing against Hougaard who I thought was brilliant & will surely cover Du Preez when he moves on but take Carter (who had a shocker, injury perhaps) out of the All Blacks & they really lack direction out wide also.

Morne Steyn is like a NH flyhalf he just looked much better with Du preez calling the shots, it was alway Du Preez that got them going in attack he's a freak & the Boks have really missed him this tri-nations.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Muttonchop:

OK gotcha. For a moment I thought you're just poking me in the eye with a blunt object but I get you.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the Boks really missed Fourie Du Preez, Bakkies & Bismarc Du Plessis. Nothing against Hougaard who I thought was brilliant & will surely cover Du Preez when he moves on but take Carter (who had a shocker, injury perhaps) out of the All Blacks & they really lack direction out wide also.

Morne Steyn is like a NH flyhalf he just looked much better with Du preez calling the shots, it was alway Du Preez that got them going in attack he's a freak & the Boks have really missed him this tri-nations.

I don't think we are missing Bakkies at all. The other two will make a massive difference. For his first start, Flip did brillianlty and Danie is a top class lock and one of the best in the world.

Du Plessis just offers so much more around the park than Smit, sadly.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No need to apologise Birdie, enjoy it. Sport and rugby have cycles, last year it was our turn and I'll take this revenge from the All Blacks on the chin a thousand times but I also saw two important Bokke like FdP and Brussouw sitting there in the Stand and hope Bismarck will be back this week. Hopefull John Smit and his Bokke will remember this incident when they hopefull lined up against the All Blacks next year.

By my standards to see Mrs Smit's tears when he got his 100th famous Bok cap wasnt a sight I liked. That tears wasnt joy ones and hope this was our last 100th test celebration of our proud Bok players.
Mind you this weekend its Matfield turn, hope its third time lucky!

If you thought they went apeshit at Soccer City for Smit, wait until Vic jogs out at Loftus on Saturday. Man, I wish I could be there.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, most definately on an internet forum. But it was good to see the ref wasn't influenced to give a YC. There had been no warning, it wasn't a repeated infringment & it most definately did not stop a "certain" try. Hence, I can't even see why a YC should be discussed?

If it was done by Burger in the same situation, it wouldn't be warranting a mention, anywhere, by anyone.

Problem was that it was not even penalised. I think that Hougard(sp.) bumped into Owens when he could finally get his hands on the ball and he ended packing down a Bok scrum.
McAWE came in from the side and sealed off the ball before retreating after Owens told him to. No penalty or warning but Owens clearly saw that it was foul play??????

Burger would have got a yellow.......or at least a penalty and a warning.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Yes, most definately on an internet forum. But it was good to see the ref wasn't influenced to give a YC. There had been no warning, it wasn't a repeated infringment & it most definately did not stop a "certain" try. Hence, I can't even see why a YC should be discussed?

If it was done by Burger in the same situation, it wouldn't be warranting a mention, anywhere, by anyone.

You seem to have forgotten Bakkies' YC in the 14th minute of match one with no warning and no certain try.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
He started at the back, but crept around the side to get where he was, not through the gate. I think he was a bit lucky really.
There is No gate - As far as I can tell Owens must have judged it was a Ruck therefore McCaw only has to come in from behind last foot.
The gate only applies to the tackle, not the Ruck or Maul. Here's a vid of the incident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlXOCCzFSw

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10822

This thread above discusses the situation as weel

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thanks for the footage. I had to watch it about six times to see McCaw's entry into the ruck, it happened so quickly. That bloke is the bloody invisible man. He just appears out of nowhere.

With the naked eye during the game, RM looked dead to rights for me. On the replay it does like a lot more line ball than that, so Owens could hardly be blamed for calling it as he did. The thing at the time for me wasn't the entry into the ruck, it was him creeping around the side. It looked dodgy as hell even though in hindsight it was probably OK.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think Murray's a legend. In a mad old uncle who drinks too much at family gatherings kind of way.

I have to check if any of my nephews are posting on this forum; however that was one of your best Hornet. :D:D:D

Was Mexted commentating last weekend? If so, his voice seems to have changed - mind you I saw it in the early hours.

PS can we keep this thread for the next game an use the old thread for what happened last weekend? Not that I never digressed myself.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Jeez, I was wrong, I was sure he was penalised. Obviously not, and on looking at the play, reading up that thread, it looks like everything was done perfectly.

Well done Owens.

Dwyer - any chance of a retractment? Yeah, right.

M

Muttonbird

Of course, I'm no expert but hasn't Matfield picked up the ball from the ruck (and nearly dropped it) then just flopped onto all the prone bodies. I would have thought this was a new tackle and McCaw had every right to dig for the ball.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I agree he had all rights to be there. Wouldn't have been a bok try anyway, they were too disorganised.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think looking at that one its very similar (in terms of brinkmanship) as Pocock's attempt after his try saving tackle on Habana in Brisbane.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I explained the photo thing just now.

I've been through enough pain with the ABs record in RWCs. I've watched all of the failures live - 91 Wylie v Hart - 95 Suzie the waitress - 99 Frogs on Coke - 03 "Four more years" - 07 Wayne Barnes - 11 who knows?...nothing I do has any effect what-so-ever on the ABs performance. If I'm happy now then I don't apologise.

Fair enough, I apologise for doubting the intent. Makes sense actually. :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That atmosphere was bloody awsome. You could feel it through the TV. I know some people are traditionalists but don't bother going back to Ellis Park.

B

BRIX

There is No gate - As far as I can tell Owens must have judged it was a Ruck therefore McCaw only has to come in from behind last foot.
The gate only applies to the tackle, not the Ruck or Maul. Here's a vid of the incident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlXOCCzFSw

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10822

This thread above discusses the situation as weel

Owens was wrong, McCaw didn't come from the side. Have a look at the video again. Big Vic go's for a pick and drive therefore rendering the law of the gate at the ruck useless. The infringment lies in the fact that Victor is tackled by McCaw who does not release and chooses to contests the ball. Whether the Bokke would have scored or not is in the cosmos, but they were a few feet out from the All Black line in the red zone. Yellow card.

Mealamu should have been pinged for offside at the breakown at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.