• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think he should be dropped. I'd be hard pressed to see how he should be retained given the players lining up behind him who deserve a crack and who hopefully will bring a bit of heart (and some tries) with them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he should be dropped. I'd be hard pressed to see how he should be retained given the players lining up behind him who deserve a crack and who hopefully will bring a bit of heart (and some tries) with them.

He has scored two of our eight tries this year so in that regard he's contributing more tries than most.

Folau has scored four of them.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I am actually thinking that with the backrowers Link has available to him he is preferring size and strength over mobility. If there were 2 Pococks available you would take them both, but there aren't so I think his contingency plan is to play bigger guys at left and right. Against the Boks and Pumas I don't have a problem with this. It could even be his Plan A, won't have any detrimental effect to the scrum and creates an even bigger advantage in the lineout.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
i.e. bench Hooper and bring him on as an impact player for the last 30 or so and start with 6. Fardy 7. McCalman 8. Mowen. Or even swap 7. and 8. there around.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon there is a 0% chance that a fit Hooper will be benched for McCalman.

He's been one of our best players all year.

If anything, I think the non-selection of Gill in the touring squad is a sign that Hooper's spot in the team is very safe right now and Link is relying on him to play 80 minutes.

Gill's omission from the bench in the last couple of tests would also indicate that McKenzie isn't a fan of dual 7s late in the game.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

If anything, I think the non-selection of Gill in the touring squad is a sign that Hooper's spot in the team is very safe right now and Link is relying on him to play 80 minutes.

Gill's omission from the bench in the last couple of tests would also indicate that McKenzie isn't a fan of dual 7s late in the game.

This seems right to me. I'd imagine that Link's bigger conundrum right now is the 6-8 balance, since he has two guys who are better at 6 in Fardy and Mowen. Perhaps he will try to kill two birds with one stone and move Fardy to lock.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

You are more than likely right in which case McCalman is the back up 7. But if Hooper does get injured against the Boks I reckon my assessment will prove correct and they will play L & R flankers against the Pumas. We may never know though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You are more than likely right in which case McCalman is the back up 7. But if Hooper does get injured against the Boks I reckon my assessment will prove correct and they will play L & R flankers against the Pumas. We may never know though.

Given that we'll probably only find this out if Hooper gets injured, let's hope we never find out!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well, the other side of the coin is that he was told he could get adjoining seats on the plane with his missus at check in, and couldn't when they got to the plane.

Started arguing about it, iwth his missus piping in and eventually they were told they could re-book on a later flight and sit together.

No mention of booze, so before we start a lynch mob, how about we just wait for the facts?

If he was pissed and causing hassle, then yes he should be stood down from the tour and sent back to club rugby.
Sounds good,but not logical.
It's a 2 hour process between checking in and boarding.
Bear in mind,it's little more than a 3 hour flight.
Who gets up early,lines up at check in,goes through customs,waits for the desk to be staffed prior to boarding,has a discussion about seating and decides to abort their plans and come back for a later flight?
Bear in mind,there would be further significant delay,while they sorted out the luggage.
Don't think so

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez he should have been happy with a 3 hour break from the missis

and then there would have been Ketuk, wayan, Made, Neuman

jamey jones

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Fardy
7.Hooper
8. Mowen
9.White
10. Quade Cooper
11.Nick Cummins
12. Leliafano
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Tomane
15. Folau

16. Fainga'a
17. Robbinson
18. Alexander
19. Douglas
20.David Dennis
21. Will genia
22. Tumoa
23. Feaui Sautia

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
If JOC (James O'Connor) is cut will be interesting seeing who Link picks to replace him in the squad as guys left are very inexperienced and the guy with some experience in Morahan doesn't seem to be rated by Ewen. .

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
3 of the 4 original back three are gone. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to move to the wing, otherwise it is CFS and Tomane. Kuridrani has at least been with the squad from the start and had some runs.

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Simmons
Horwill
Fardy
Hooper
Mowen
White
Cooper
Tomane
Lilo
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Fainga'a, Robinson, Kepu, Timani, McCalman, Genia, To'omua, CFS

I would like to see a couple of other changes but don't see Link going in a new direction just yet.

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just going to re-post from another thread:

Here's to hoping JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't play for the rest of the Rugby Championship. I'm sick of these pretty boys, most notably Beale and JOC (James O'Connor), who think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Get some respect. The point that annoys me the most is the fact that he keeps re-offending. Does he ever learn? Evidently not. Just drop him from the squad, please. He'll keep thinking he can get away with things if they keep selecting him. It's unacceptable. What's he doing going on a holiday anyway, he's not exactly in-form. Learn some basic skills before you do so.
Obviously, news has come in that JOC (James O'Connor) has been stood down indefinitely, finally. Hopefully it can teach him a lesson. As he is only a few years older than me, I don't look up to him at all, which is sad as he is a very aspiring young talent, but this generation seems to make some very, very poor decisions. Some may say the likes of Mowen, Genia, Horwill, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are out of form. Yes, in some ways they are, but I don't mind. They are all exceptional individuals who I look up to, good both on and off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.