• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SR2023 R3 - Rebels vs Waratahs Friday 10 March @ 7.35pm

Marce

John Thornett (49)
No, the Tahs really shouldn't have. They were clearly outplayed pretty much all game. To lose by only 7 was as good a result as they deserved.
Two kick and chase tries in a row by Rebels after 2 failed tries by Tahs. That's not common unleast you are playing against Crusaders

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Where are all the guys who said Carter Gordon was too young/inexperienced and needed a couple of years of Super Rugby or go overseas for a few years?????

Not too much of that ageism crap in this thread....

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Where are all the guys who said Carter Gordon was too young/inexperienced and needed a couple of years of Super Rugby or go overseas for a few years?????

Not too much of that ageism crap in this thread....
Maybe you’re referring to me - although I said he wasn’t up to standard based on last year and that wasn’t surprising based on his age/experience. Didn’t specifically say he was too young and I definitely didn’t say he should go OS.

More than happy that both he and Langi Gleeson are out performing my pre-season comments on them.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe you’re referring to me - although I said he wasn’t up to standard based on last year and that wasn’t surprising based on his age/experience. Didn’t specifically say he was too you and I definitely didn’t say he should go OS.

More than happy that both he and Langi Gleeson are out performing my pre-season comments on them.
You might have been one, there were a fair few sticking to 'we shouldn't play them until they are older/ experienced' style of posts.
Raw talent and speed need to be used in our Rugby, we are very short of both and that generally comes from younger players BUT we need people who can ID them, ATM we don't have that. We can only see what happens not what could happen.
We don't need a team of them just 2 or 3 who can turn a game.
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is one of them and Gordon should be another one. How stupid of QLD to let both of those brothers go?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
You might have been one, there were a fair few sticking to 'we shouldn't play them until they are older/ experienced' style of posts.
Raw talent and speed need to be used in our Rugby, we are very short of both and that generally comes from younger players BUT we need people who can ID them, ATM we don't have that. We can only see what happens not what could happen.
We don't need a team of them just 2 or 3 who can turn a game.
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is one of them and Gordon should be another one. How stupid of QLD to let both of those brothers go?
That’s a massive over simplification of why happened but, in any case, Gordon wouldn’t be where he is now if he’d stayed in Qld because he would have been behind O’Connor.

It is still disappointing as a Qld fan though - although I was thinking about this yesterday. If we had have kept Gordon I doubt we would have got Lynagh. Only time will tell who ends up better but I think the way things have worked out may end up being close to the best for all parties.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Carter didn’t have a regular pathway to where he is… most super rugby/wallaby prospects end up playing or being involved with the u20 team.

that was not the case with Carter Gordon, he was either snubbed for prospects like Ben Donaldson, Will Harrison or Covid cancelled his other aus u20 campaigns.

Carter might be a more developed super rugby player for having a clubland centric development as opposed to being a member of the national u20 squad. Really unsure how to gauge that hottake tho… would love the aus u20 team to have a warm up match sometime against QPR/Shute shield team so I can know where the talent levels are between 2 squads.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Carter didn’t have a regular pathway to where he is… most super rugby/wallaby prospects end up playing or being involved with the u20 team.

that was not the case with Carter Gordon, he was either snubbed for prospects like Ben Donaldson, Will Harrison or Covid cancelled his other aus u20 campaigns.

Carter might be a more developed super rugby player for having a clubland centric development as opposed to being a member of the national u20 squad. Really unsure how to gauge that hottake tho… would love the aus u20 team to have a warm up match sometime against QPR/Shute shield team so I can know where the talent levels are between 2 squads.
Would it be the talent of the physical development that get the men over the line?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Would it be the talent of the physical development that get the men over the line?

I think the physicality of club rugby is better preparation for what to expect at super rugby…

I think u20 rugby is a faster pace with better skills but you’re going up against teenagers who haven’t really yet filled out in the weight room.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think the physicality of club rugby is better preparation for what to expect at super rugby…

I think u20 rugby is a faster pace with better skills but you’re going up against teenagers who haven’t really yet filled out in the weight room.
I'd like to see them play the current U20s squad against the previous years (or maybe 2 years, given the overlap). Have a real handover grudge match and try and beat the guys that are a year or 2 ahead of you.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They can’t leave their feet and dive on him. But they can make contact which means, at that point he has one dynamic movement. If no one does that and the original contact isn’t deemed a tackle he can crawl, roll or do the worm down the field if he is so inclined to my understanding of the rules.

I assume he was deemed tackled in which case I agree he can’t propel himself forward. I just didn’t think it was a tackle under the laws.
Nah the game is only played by players on their feet. Law 13.
Once a player is on the ground with the ball (who wasn't tackled), they have 3 options; get up with the ball, play the ball or release the ball.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah the game is only played by players on their feet. Law 13.
Once a player is on the ground with the ball (who wasn't tackled), they have 3 options; get up with the ball, play the ball or release the ball.
Note: they must release the ball before they get up to play.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Note: they must release the ball before they get up to play.
That's if they're tackled. They can hold onto the ball and get up if they aren't 'tackled'.
But you need to get back to your feet, which didn't happen during the game.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Agreed

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That's if they're tackled. They can hold onto the ball and get up if they aren't 'tackled'.
But you need to get back to your feet, which didn't happen during the game.
Okay - that does actually make sense given you can’t tackle from the ground either.

Still think he was a bit unlucky as I suspect it happens all the time. Happened in the Blues v Hurricanes game yesterday without a murmur and I remember a game last year where I think Ryan Smith crawled about a metre. It wouldn’t be the only rule inconsistently applied though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Okay - that does actually make sense given you can’t tackle from the ground either.

Still think he was a bit unlucky as I suspect it happens all the time. Happened in the Blues v Hurricanes game yesterday without a murmur and I remember a game last year where I think Ryan Smith crawled about a metre. It wouldn’t be the only rule inconsistently applied though.
A double roll on the ground in the England v France game went unnoticed by Ben O'Keefe in an otherwise excellent game from him. Now close to the best ref in the world. I thought he was a pedantic shit a couple of years ago.

Reactions: TSR