• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Who knows who signed what and what was actually signed based on the information we have at hand.

The article suggests the Rugby Australia Board had no idea;

Who's to say Marinos didn't brief the board completely on the specific terms?
Ok so you suggesting RA is that badly run, that CEO was or is allowed to sign off agreements without their giving approval? As I said we don't know how true it is, I do know that RA seem to be dragging chain, but I really hope your suggestion is wrong , or Aussie rugby has huge problems, and I don't know anyone who wants that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
they did actually, from the start there were 2 NZRugby Board members on Moana’s committee & then a NZRPA appointed as a Director of Rugby, there was also little to no consultation or engagement with Tonga or Samoa rugby board. Despite it's early promise, its turned into a proxy team for NZ Rugby and it's reflected in crowd attendance.

Conversely the Fijian Drua maintained the same independence they operated with when participating in the NRC in the years prior, a completely Fijian lead governance structure.
Wrong again, NZR actually owned the Drua license to set it up and get going, and then sold it at a few $s to Fijian Rugby union. And yes there were a couple of NZR members on the MP (Moana Pasifika) board to help set it up, as the ones who were doing it didn't have the capacity to tick off all boxes, and MP (Moana Pasifika) will always be like that as they don't have one Rugby board they are under, but 3 or 4, they encompass Samoa,Tonga, Cook and Fiji islands, unfortunately a couple of these islands have reputations of not playing bills or players wages.
I not in anyway knowing how to fix their problems, as most that know a bit about Islands will say there is not great friendliness between Samoa and Tonga to start with. I would still like especially Tonga and Samoan rugby to well enough run to have the teams in one of those countries, but I wish a lot of vthings in rugby I guess, that don't come to pass.
I would even like if all the people who were all for the MP (Moana Pasifika) concept in PI community actually went out and supported the team, an awful lot seem to have conveniently remembered they follow Blues,Reds.etc etc and now team is struggling have forgottne why it was being set up.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Levi Aumua signing with the Cruasders and NZ Rugby sums up everything that is wrong with Super Rugby, no equalisation measures, national self-interest ahead of competitiveness of clubs, lack of transparency on salary caps and player transfers. Not to mention it goes against the original concept of promoting pathways for Tonga and Samoa.

Whilst it’s positive for the competitiveness of the competition having guys like Nic White moving to the Force (and rumoured that Ben Donaldson also), it’s a bit of a null point if the same practice isn’t employed competition wide.

TheHaydog

Stan Wickham (3)
Can't see Moana Pasifika lasting more than one more season for a few reasons. Their form along with their ability to retain coaching and player talent appears to be lacking. A clear objective behind the teams' purpose is muddled and it's seemingly led to confusion as to what their role as a team is long-term. Is it a de-facto 6th NZ team that produces Pasifika heritage players for the All Blacks or is it meant solely for Samoa, Tonga etc? This hasn't or will probably ever be clarified.

Not to mention the cost of playing games at Mt Smart, racking up costs of $60K a game, which will have to be written off by someone else each season as their crowd sizes are really bad and won't increase until they start winning, which given the gulf in competitiveness between them and the rest won't be a short fix. The concept for this team was there in theory, however, the execution has been botched and community engagement has been very little.

This leaves the tournament with more questions than answers if the team doesn't last more than another season. What team would replace them? Would SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) add another expansion team? Because with an average attendance of 2297 based on one game and a winning record below that of all other teams who have been in Super Rugby, the situation for them looks dire.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@TheHaydog all great points, the purpose of having them is to give players with Island heritage a chance to enchance skills etc in Super, but it doesn't allow that almost all players are not actually Psifika as such, just Pasifika heritage, and like most I thought they would get support from Island community. The only trouble is they seem to be attracting only players that can't get a gig elsewhere, even Aumua was really reluctant to sign for them, as he said he always considered himself a kiwi where he was born etc, and really didn't consider playing for Samoa/Tonga etc as a goal. At momet NZR I believe are paying most of their costs in staging games at Mt Smart, as well as use of training facilities. Thier main problem is support which is probably in Samoa and Tonga etc, which realistically doesn't apparently have facilities needed, and also as almost whole team is domiciled in NZ where they also play NPC etc, they will stuggle to get a team based over there.
I honestly believe they will be kept on life support for a few years, and hopefully they will get academies set up, that will help them no end.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Joe Moody gone for the remainder of Super Rugby (but expected back for AB duty) after tendon surgery. Reuben O'Neill (ex Tribe) added to CruSadists as of today, another to be added next week & from what Razor has said he'll be a blast from the past.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Christy Doran has provided some counterbalance to the comments 'leaked' by NZRugby through Gregor Paul. Rugby Australia holds skepticism towards NZ Rugby intentions for after what they've done previously and their true intentions for the future of Super Rugby.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both sides are to blame here, there are clearly national union types who still want power. Super Rugby needs to completely remove itself from them. It'll never happen so I don't have much hope. Anything positive for Super Rugby is going to reduce union power and money.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Independant Commission or whatever it's to be called that RA agreed to back in October doesn't duplicate existing structures it replaces them. That's kinda the fucking point of having an Independent Commission or whatever it's to be called.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Independant Commission or whatever it's to be called that Rugby Australia agreed to back in October doesn't duplicate existing structures it replaces them. That's kinda the fucking point of having an Independent Commission or whatever it's to be called.
Yeah but who's on it? Are they keeping their existing national union roles or will only be part of the commission now? If it's the former it's not very independent - ideally it should be made up of guys completely independent from the onset.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Independant Commission or whatever it's to be called that Rugby Australia agreed to back in October doesn't duplicate existing structures it replaces them. That's kinda the fucking point of having an Independent Commission or whatever it's to be called.
Boards will still exist at the National Union level, and an additional would now be at Super Rugby. I believe he is also referring to corporate structure, things like Finance, Marketing, Communications, Corporate engagement etc which will be required at both the national union level as well as the Super Rugby level. Currently at least in Australia, the same staff are covering both.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say I'm with NZR in that the Super Rugby should be independent and responsible only to the franchises. OTOH, I have utterly no expectation that NZR are doing anything close to acting in good faith.

It's a massive issue and if NZR want to be taken seriously on this side of the ditch they have some serious work to do to repair bridges. Threatening to sue via the media is hardly doing that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Boards will still exist at the National Union level, and an additional would now be at Super Rugby. I believe he is also referring to corporate structure, things like Finance, Marketing, Communications, Corporate engagement etc which will be required at both the national union level as well as the Super Rugby level. Currently at least in Australia, the same staff are covering both.

So what's your preferred governance model, this one being so fatally flawed?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So what's your preferred governance model, this one being so fatally flawed?
I didn't say it's totally flawed, but it's not without additional costs and layers of governance, probably more relevant to RA who operate on a much smaller budget and staffing then NZRugby.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn't say it's totally flawed, but it's not without additional costs and layers of governance, probably more relevant to Rugby Australia who operate on a much smaller budget and staffing then NZRugby.

OK, what changes would you make to the Independent Commission model?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So RA wants it to be run by Sanzaar, so and there is now agreement the comp is run well this way? So we all happy with comp, marketing etc etc, as it is now? Ok, and as WOB asks why was it agreed too in first place?
I still not convinced this is a bit of a beat up by press.
Have to say I'm with NZR in that the Super Rugby should be independent and responsible only to the franchises. OTOH, I have utterly no expectation that NZR are doing anything close to acting in good faith.

It's a massive issue and if NZR want to be taken seriously on this side of the ditch they have some serious work to do to repair bridges. Threatening to sue via the media is hardly doing that.
And if you read that NZR have threatened to sue via the press, you reading a lot more into that I have. Lets face it neither Rugby board is taken too seriously on other side of ditch, it seems.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Both sides are to blame here, there are clearly national union types who still want power. Super Rugby needs to completely remove itself from them. It'll never happen so I don't have much hope. Anything positive for Super Rugby is going to reduce union power and money.
Correct and seems only one rugby board want that doesn't it?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So Rugby Australia wants it to be run by Sanzaar, so and there is now agreement the comp is run well this way? So we all happy with comp, marketing etc etc, as it is now? Ok, and as WOB asks why was it agreed too in first place?
I still not convinced this is a bit of a beat up by press.

And if you read that NZR have threatened to sue via the press, you reading a lot more into that I have. Lets face it neither Rugby board is taken too seriously on other side of ditch, it seems.
You obviously didn't read, or perhaps not comprehend the Roar article posted.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
After last night's games positions 7, 8, 9 and 10 are occupied by the Reds on 24 points, Clan on 23, Force on 22 and Rebels on 21. Which two are going to make the finals?

Next week the Reds play in Fiji, the Clan in Auckland, the Force host the Chiefs and the Rebels are in Canberra. A multi with all four losing looks like a wise investment. Will bonus points allow any movement on the ladder? Interesting times.