• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Wilson

David Codey (61)
After last night's games positions 7, 8, 9 and 10 are occupied by the Reds on 24 points, Clan on 23, Force on 22 and Rebels on 21. Which two are going to make the finals?

Next week the Reds play in Fiji, the Clan in Auckland, the Force host the Chiefs and the Rebels are in Canberra. A multi with all four losing looks like a wise investment. Will bonus points allow any movement on the ladder? Interesting times.
Drua have Moana this weekend, that'll likely see them on 21 or 22 going into the final round, coming in between the Rebels and Force (will have one more win than the Rebels).

That set of losses next round is probably the most likely outcome for each of those games though, in that case bonus points will be everything

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Makes it look like it'll end up 7 Drua on 26/25, 8 Reds (25/24), 9 Highlanders(24/23) 10 Force (23/22) and 11 Rebels (22/21). Reds are thankfully in a pretty strong position on for and against relative to the others, if they miss a bp and the Highlanders pick one up they'd still need the Reds to lose by around 60 points to win the tie breaker.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ only way Clan get a BP next week is if Rangi gives a heap of guys the week off to rest up for their QF. Which I don't think he'll do (one or two with niggling injuries but not five or six) so I expect Clan to get crushed again - maybe not by 40 this time but certainly 13+.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Larkham's big brain strategy has allowed the Blues to triumphantly sneak into third place. Definitely finds himself on the Christmas card list this year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was wondering how Moana's record stacks up against other expansion teams - only looked at the Aus ones so far:

Force 14th of 14 in debut season then 7th, 8th, 8th & 13th. Highest-ever finish 7th in 2007, their second season.

Rebels 15th of 15 then 13th, 12th, 15th & 10th. Highest-ever finish 9th (2018).

Might look at some of the others - Sunwolves & the myriad SA ones - tomorrow but I suspect I'll find a similar pattern.

Food for thought for the "shut them down" proponents on here, perhaps?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nah, people are more concerned with the crowds in the stands and lack of engagement with Tonga and Samoa, rather than the actual on-field success of Moana Pasifika.

Even with losing records, those teams you mentioned engaged much better with the rugby communities they were representing. This is where NZRugby have failed MP (Moana Pasifika).

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think anyone has taken issue with their lack of immediate success on the field - that was expected. The issue is the poor execution of building their identity as a Pasifika side, with respect to both fan engagement and their extensive alignment with NZ at both a club and national level.

The ability to directly compare to the Drua's success, both in the game and with supporters, hasn't helped either.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
First two seasons (presuming a one point loss this week):

Pasifika
W/L of 2-26 (7.7% WR (World Rugby))
Net PD of -513 (-18.3 per game)

Rebels:
W/L of 7-29 (19.4% WR (World Rugby))
Net PD of -447 (-12.2 per game)

Force:
W/L of 7-3-16 (30.4% WR (World Rugby))
Net PD of -166 (-6.4 per game)

Sunwolves:
W/L of 3-27 (10% WR (World Rugby))
Net PD of -690 (-23 per game)

You may have a point with the Sunwolves, but the Rebels and, particularly the Force played in much tougher competitions and definitely have better records.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Was wondering how Moana's record stacks up against other expansion teams - only looked at the Aus ones so far:

Force 14th of 14 in debut season then 7th, 8th, 8th & 13th. Highest-ever finish 7th in 2007, their second season.

Rebels 15th of 15 then 13th, 12th, 15th & 10th. Highest-ever finish 9th (2018).

Might look at some of the others - Sunwolves & the myriad SA ones - tomorrow but I suspect I'll find a similar pattern.

Food for thought for the "shut them down" proponents on here, perhaps?
While you're at it, perhaps tally how many games were played back on the Islands and not Auckland.

By my count it's a 5 to 1 ratio with one not being included as it was the magic round in Melbourne.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't actually have a problem with NZ running a 6th Kiwi team. This isn't of course what they promised or claimed to be putting in place. WR (World Rugby), Tonga and Samoa are likely to be miffed given the as-usual two-faced way NZR do business, but I don't have a problem with a 6th Kiwi team.

There are better ways to level the playing field, but I'm OK with it.

A little honesty is all I ask.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If thats what it is, NZs 6th team, then World Rugby need to revoke the $1.4 million in annual funding they are providing to MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) and direct it to other programs in Tonga and Samoa then.

Works for me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If thats what it is, NZs 6th team, then World Rugby need to revoke the $1.4 million in annual funding they are providing to MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) and direct it to other programs in Tonga and Samoa then.
Yep, only trouble with your reasoning is they have got 27 players from squad played for Samoa and Tonga in last year, so you wanting the team scrapped? It's not NZ's 6th team, just NZR considered that as almost whole squad are kept here by playing and being paid by NZR in NPC etc, and a few of them may make NZ super squads. I not quite sure why you coming up with ways to make it hard for them to survive, I believe in long run they are bloody good for Island teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
One metric Moana Pasifika will beat the Force and Rebels in is the number of All Blacks produced, that is once once Levi gets his cap.
Yep and MP (Moana Pasifika) have more capped Aussie players than the Blues, Crusaders etc too, so there you go! ;)
I have doubts whether Aumua will make ABs, I know he has said he always wanted to and why originally he wouldn't sign for MP (Moana Pasifika), but I not convinced.