• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Geoff Parkes indicating that McLennan is the source of disagreement over the independent board.

That said, the need to keep Super Rugby fresh and relevant has never been more acute. This is the reason why levels of angst remain high on both sides of the Tasman, around delays in the formation of an independent commission to operate and promote the competition.

Despite what you might read, the inability to move this forward is not due to any New Zealand versus Australia stand-off. There is eagerness and uniform agreement across both countries awaiting final board assent; code for Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan deciding whether he can stomach ceding power and attention, or not.

Run up the chairman’s flagpole last week was the smokescreen that such a commission would potentially add a needless layer of bureaucracy. Well, perhaps, but only if Rugby Australia and NZ Rugby design it and operate it that way.

Rome may not be burning, but it is smouldering. The Emperor might do well to stop fiddling.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Of course a kiwi journalist would, So much for NZRugby not not airing their dirty laundry in public eh? More leaks then the titanic

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Parkes hasn’t been a fan of McLennan. He is an ABs fan having grown up and coming from NZ. This is one of the issues, it’s who ever you support is the good guys and the opposition is the bad guys.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Who's next on the NZ Rugby PR distro list, Paul Cully?
I don’t think Parkes is on any informant list. I’d be surprised if he had enough personal contacts to engage in in-depth conversations from either side to generate juicy information. I think he just formulates a position (as he mentioned in article recently) based on what he’s read.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Of course a kiwi journalist would, So much for NZRugby not not airing their dirty laundry in public eh? More leaks then the titanic
That's quite good Parkes has lived in Aus for over 20yrs, but he's a kiwi journalist, who doesn't actually write for any NZ paper but an Aus rugby forum, and last week Gregor Paul a Scot who has lived in NZ for 9 years is also a kiwi? ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think Parkes is on any informant list. I’d be surprised if he had enough personal contacts to engage in in-depth conversations from either side to generate juicy information. I think he just formulates a position (as he mentioned in article recently) based on what he’s read.
He's actually an author rather than journalist isn't he? Never been involved in rugby here, and does some in Victoria. I actually like his stuff , don't alway agree with him (or any forum contributor), but usually interesting posts.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Geoff Parkes does come up with a pretty good weely article that is relevant and pretty well written and does create debate and comments, it is clear he has a pretty good knowledge of rugby, he is of course a kiwi living in Melbourne.

The issue I have with Parkes is he has been a staunch advocate and defender of every form of Super rugby and the status quo that has been trotted out over the last 25 years, pretty much ridiculing those wanting change.

Yet here we are in 2023 and Rugby Union is barely even mentioned in the code war conversations, relegated to the B division. Yet mention this to Parkes and it's "don't look at me"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and last week Gregor Paul a Scot who has lived in NZ for 9 years is also a kiwi? ;)

Gregor Paul
New Zealand Herald senior writer

Gregor is New Zealand’s best-read rugby commentator and analyst having been the voice of the Herald’s rugby coverage since 2004. He’s also written seven books about rugby and edited NZ Rugby World since 2007.

The accompanying photo depicted Gregor performing a haka in an Auckland KFC, followed by several articles that can be summed up as NZRU good, RA bad.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought living in Melbourne was one of the most Kiwi things you could do? If you discount Gregor you'd have to discount a few ten thousand others too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The accompanying photo depicted Gregor performing a haka in an Auckland KFC, followed by several articles that can be summed up as NZRU good, Rugby Australia bad.
Whoops, sorry, it was meant be 19, he moved here in late 2003 and I know Parkes has lived in Aus for 30 odd years if I remember and was seen standing for Advance Aus Fair ;) , so still confused:D

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whoops, sorry, it was meant be 19, he moved here in late 2003 and I know Parkes has lived in Aus for 30 odd years if I remember and was seen standing for Advance Aus Fair ;) , so still confused:D

Nothing confusing about it... you're supposed to stand for both national anthems. :p

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

Glad to see more noise coming out that the NZ Refs aren't up to scratch and don't apply the same interpretations on Kiwi teams!
I have thought this for a lot of time. It annoys me when people say cheating ref etc. because no ref deliberately cheats. But it’s as clear as day that an unconscious bias happens. In rugby that’s especially concerning because of the influence a ref has over the game compared to other sports. It even happens within Australian games, where the team that’s perceived as superior doesn’t have the same lense applied to them as the inferior team, where the refs concentration is applied to them committing indiscretions allowing the superior team to be loser in their execution.

This is the reason why I believe it’s harder to fall from the top of the pile in rugby than other sports.