• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
An interesting stat I stumbled across - out of 50 possible grand final appearances (i.e. 25 finals (excl. covid) x 2 teams), NZ teams have appeared 28 times, SA 11, Aus 10, and Arg 1.

Of those 10 Aus appearances, 6 came prior to the addition of the Force, with a 7th before the Rebels.
You can't put up figure like that LeCheese that indicate Aussie teams have gone worse with more teams!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You can't put up figure like that LeCheese that indicate Aussie teams have gone worse with more teams!

That period of Super Rugby after the Rebels were introduced with 15 teams between 2011 and 2015 was actually one of the stronger periods for Australian teams in terms of finals representation.

Aaaaaaaand dropping the Force didn't improve the remaining Australian teams' competitiveness...

Robinson is just being a fluffybunny.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Coupla outlets reporting that SANZAAR have rejected shifting TRC to March-April & Super Rugby to May-September [Edit: as mooted by SARU & UAR] to give SA & Argentina's Euro-based players more of a break. Has been communicated to 6N & WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) as part of the ongoing work towards establishing a Global Calendar.
That was rejected a while back regardless of what Hamish has said.
A problem if your chairman of Sanzaar has to be corrected publicly. Though not sure how true write up is anyway?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Probably walking out NZR door now with a list of talking points
There is talking points in that article if true, like Robinson saying they looking at spreading talent to Aus?? Or do we only read little bit's that suit us?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Must've missed the referenced earlier article(s).
Yep mate, I actually thought I had read it in a NH rugby site, first when they said how anti they were on it being changed, mainly because all the Saffas and Argos in NH teams wouldn't be able to play when they need them, ie during 6Ns, And Sanzaar were concerned with trying to get global season etc with proposed world league.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Right here, and what is wrong with the comment? He wonders if Aus have to many teams and adds this comment.
'But that's ultimately a decision for them and it's something we'll work more on, you know, when we get the commission up and running”

So basically he saying it up to Aussie and that's a problem now?
Why make comment? He knows exactly what he’s doing by saying it, both parties know exactly what they are doing when talking to the media.

It would be like Hamish coming out and saying NZ should ditch the NPC so super rugby can become a proper home and away 22 week league.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Right here, and what is wrong with the comment? He wonders if Aus have to many teams and adds this comment.
'But that's ultimately a decision for them and it's something we'll work more on, you know, when we get the commission up and running”

So basically he saying it up to Aussie and that's a problem now?
You complain whenever McLenman talks publicly, but now see no issue with Robinson commenting publicly on how Australia should do its business? And then wonders why RA don’t want to deal with him.

And as he says, It’s up to RA until the commission is up and running and then they can ‘work’ on the issue…. Hmmm

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZRugby at it again, Robinson talking publicly about cutting Australian teams…hints it’s something the commission might look at.
I just listened to that supposed him cutting Aussie team, he was asked about how noone interested in Aussie teams, he actually says the question comes up whether 5 teams is too many (and don't tell me it doesn't come up, here or in Aus) and said it was ultimately up to them. When he was asked what he thought he said history showa Aus rugby has been stronger with less teams agin it was ultimately up to them. Then is aked about draft etc and said it was something to work with the commision about and NZR are incredibly openminded about how it would work! Now all whinge what you want, where is the problem??

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why make comment? He knows exactly what he’s doing by saying it, both parties know exactly what they are doing when talking to the media.

It would be like Hamish coming out and saying NZ should ditch the NPC so super rugby can become a proper home and away 22 week league.
Have you listened to the interview? He was getting grilled about why Aus teams aren't getting crowds to games here, and he is nothing but supportive of RA etc and how they have had some hard years!!! So listen to it and tell me what was wrong!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You complain whenever McLenman talks publicly, but now see no issue with Robinson commenting publicly on how Australia should do its business? And then wonders why Rugby Australia don’t want to deal with him.

And as he says, It’s up to Rugby Australia until the commission is up and running and then they can ‘work’ on the issue…. Hmmm
So that's what you got out of listening to that interview? Really? Was about why NZ are falling out of love with rugby etc, and issues of Aus teams was bought up by interviewer!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I just listened to that supposed him cutting Aussie team, he was asked about how noone interested in Aussie teams, he actually says the question comes up whether 5 teams is too many (and don't tell me it doesn't come up, here or in Aus) and said it was ultimately up to them. When he was asked what he thought he said history showa Aus rugby has been stronger with less teams agin it was ultimately up to them. Then is aked about draft etc and said it was something to work with the commision about and NZR are incredibly openminded about how it would work! Now all whinge what you want, where is the problem??
You can’t tell me Robinson is that stupid and didn’t know what he was doing by commenting on Australia reducing the number of teams….again….

He is a self sabotaging idiot thinks that’s an appropriate comment to make when discussions about independent bodies and concerns with NZRugby influence over them continue.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You can’t tell me Robinson is that stupid and didn’t know what he was doing by commenting on Australia reducing the number of teams….again….

He is a self sabotaging idiot thinks that’s an appropriate comment to make when discussions about independent bodies and concerns with NZRugby influence over them continue.
I repeat did you listen to it? He was asked why Aus teams weren't attracting crowds here in NZ, and he said (correctly) that the question is whether 5 teams is too many , and a question that is asked all the time , and I have heard it from Aussie too. I have heard suggestions and read them on here that NZ should have more.
Also haven't we heard both Hamish and even Phil Waugh suggesting NZ players should be able to play for ABs while in Aussie teams, so it's alright for them to discuss make comment on NZ's selection policies?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I repeat did you listen to it? He was asked why Aus teams weren't attracting crowds here in NZ, and he said (correctly) that the question is whether 5 teams is too many , and a question that is asked all the time , and I have heard it from Aussie too. I have heard suggestions and read them on here that NZ should have more.
Also haven't we heard both Hamish and even Phil Waugh suggesting NZ players should be able to play for ABs while in Aussie teams, so it's alright for them to discuss make comment on NZ's selection policies?
Yes I listened Dan.

And Mark Robinson brought up the topic of Australia having too many teams off his own accord when asked why NZRugby needs to work with Australia on Super Rugby.

It’s hardly a partnership when one party keeps talking about and trying to cut your teams.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
If probed that’s when he says “Australia have made up their mind to have 5 teams, and that’s what this competition will have. Any discussion on their future is at the hands of RA. The amount of Australian teams will always be handled by Australian decision makers”

Or “it’s inappropriate for me to comment on that as it’s not an NZR decision”

If he mentioned it himself then he’s either trying to bring it into discussion or he’s incompetent infront of a camera.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If probed that’s when he says “Australia have made up their mind to have 5 teams, and that’s what this competition will have. Any discussion on their future is at the hands of Rugby Australia. The amount of Australian teams will always be handled by Australian decision makers”

If he mentioned it himself then he’s either trying to bring it into discussion or he’s incompetent infront of a camera.

Try this: "As Partners in this competition we support Australia. There will be 5 Australian teams."

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If probed that’s when he says “Australia have made up their mind to have 5 teams, and that’s what this competition will have. Any discussion on their future is at the hands of Rugby Australia. The amount of Australian teams will always be handled by Australian decision makers”

There was no question about the number of teams, Mark Robinson brought that topic up himself.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

So you’re confirming that he wasn’t asked about the number of Australian teams, and yet he chose to comment on that?

Glad we sorted that out…