• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There was no question about the number of teams, Mark Robinson brought that topic up himself.
There was a question why Aussie teams are getting no crowds in NZ, and he asnswered what 70% of NZ rugby public will say(wrongly in my opinion). I go to club rugby every week and people supporters would say no when I asked if they were interested in game between Chiefs and Force, etc and would just say exactly what he said, there too many teams and they can't even name any players in Force or Rebels. Hey that maybe case in Aus too for all I know, but don't crucify someone for being honest.And I haven't heard anyone in here tell me why he is wrong, why the crowds numbers are down when Aus teams are playing in NZ.
It's noted that noone has said he talked of allowing NZ players in Aus teams, that Aus wants (because they feel they haven't got enough players to fill 5 teams). If you asked most supporters from NZ and Aus they would tell you that MP (Moana Pasifika) probaly shouldn't be in comp, or use that as a reason to not go and watch them. (I disagree with that too)
But lets face it , if Robinson said he thought Aus should have 6 teams he would get crucified on here anyway :D He's NZR CEO.

Just out of interest a lot of NZ and Aus fans would agree on some of these things, a hell of a lot of NZ supporters at rugby will say the super comp should be scrapped, and have seperate comps, as Aus don't add anything to comp. Doesn't make them right though, as I believe myself that Aus teams can build their depth and are doing it.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems NZR rejected it
Seems Sanzaar rejected it as there 5 teams voting, and SA and Argentina suddenly realised that some of their players would have to pull out, and SA teams couldn't stay in NH, as they would have no players. Can you imagine SA teams in NH comp with no Boks in it? There was a write up in SA paper about it when it got discussed! One of reason NH teams bring in so many players from downunder is to bulk up their teams during 6Ns, and SA team would have their depth sorely tested.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If probed that’s when he says “Australia have made up their mind to have 5 teams, and that’s what this competition will have. Any discussion on their future is at the hands of Rugby Australia. The amount of Australian teams will always be handled by Australian decision makers”

Or “it’s inappropriate for me to comment on that as it’s not an NZR decision”
So you say the same when anyone from RA brings up idea that NZR should allow ABs to play for Aus teams and still play for ABs? Or is there perhaps different standards??

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
So you say the same when anyone from Rugby Australia brings up idea that NZR should allow ABs to play for Aus teams and still play for ABs? Or is there perhaps different standards??
One suggestion is potentially eradicating the existence of a rugby community or two and the other is simply providing a different model for all parties to thrive. It’s not that hard to understand the difference in severity. Of course there is different standards because there is different implications

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
One suggestion is potentially eradicating the existence of a rugby community or two and the other is simply providing a different model for all parties to thrive. It’s not that hard to understand the difference in severity. Of course there is different standards because there is different implications
:rolleyes::D

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There was a question why Aussie teams are getting no crowds in NZ, and he asnswered what 70% of NZ rugby public will say(wrongly in my opinion). I go to club rugby every week and people supporters would say no when I asked if they were interested in game between Chiefs and Force, etc and would just say exactly what he said, there too many teams and they can't even name any players in Force or Rebels. Hey that maybe case in Aus too for all I know, but don't crucify someone for being honest.And I haven't heard anyone in here tell me why he is wrong, why the crowds numbers are down when Aus teams are playing in NZ.
It's noted that noone has said he talked of allowing NZ players in Aus teams, that Aus wants (because they feel they haven't got enough players to fill 5 teams). If you asked most supporters from NZ and Aus they would tell you that MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) probaly shouldn't be in comp, or use that as a reason to not go and watch them. (I disagree with that too)
But lets face it , if Robinson said he thought Aus should have 6 teams he would get crucified on here anyway :D He's NZR CEO.

Just out of interest a lot of NZ and Aus fans would agree on some of these things, a hell of a lot of NZ supporters at rugby will say the super comp should be scrapped, and have seperate comps, as Aus don't add anything to comp. Doesn't make them right though, as I believe myself that Aus teams can build their depth and are doing it.

there was no question about the number of Australian teams; Mark Robinson brought that up himself and offered his opinion that 5 was too many and said it’s something that would continue to ‘work’ on.

The guys a dickhead, and you wonder why Australians don’t trust him.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So you say the same when anyone from Rugby Australia brings up idea that NZR should allow ABs to play for Aus teams and still play for ABs? Or is there perhaps different standards??
Are you really suggesting that culling a team, sacking 50-60 employees, destroying pathways and leaving thousands of fans without a team to support is the same league as discussing the possibility of free movement within the player market?

Mark Robinsons comments were either deliberate; because he is driving an agenda with the Super Rugby commission discussions, or the guy is a self sabotaging idiot. You choose.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok question for you Adam, to show us how bright you are. What are people saying when they asked why there not a lot of interest in Aussie team's matches here in NZ. Question he was asked. I know the answer, or what people here are saying, but let's have the brigfht boys answer.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok question for you Adam, to show us how bright you are. What are people saying when they asked why there not a lot of interest in Aussie team's matches here in NZ. Question he was asked. I know the answer, or what people here are saying, but let's have the brigfht boys answer.

Kiwis are saying they're not interested in watching the Waratahs play in Auckland because of too many Australia teams?

Sorry, but that's an idiotic leap of reasoning for justifying Robinson's comments, to a question that was not in any way relevant to the number of Australian teams in the competition.

None.

Zero.

If Robinson had just responded with "India," it would have been just as relevant.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Kiwis are saying they're not interested in watching the Waratahs play in Auckland because of too many Australia teams?

Haha you know thats not what was being said. Im a tahs fan and can recognise that.

Aussie teams are just not competitive. A simplistic view is that less teams equals less spread of talent, therefore more competitive teams, therefore more bums on seats.

Always been a fan of a domestic comp. Then maybe an Aussie team would win it. Maybe.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Haha you know thats not what was being said. Im a tahs fan and can recognise that.

Aussie teams are just not competitive. A simplistic view is that less teams equals less spread of talent, therefore more competitive teams, therefore more bums on seats.

Always been a fan of a domestic comp. Then maybe an Aussie team would win it. Maybe.

Yes, the competitiveness of the Australian teams is the actual reason, but the idea of culling Australian teams is not the solution just like it wasn’t last time…

Without rehashing all the points again - it’s something Australia cannot afford to do, and thankfully won’t do, and yet Robinson raises this topic (again) knowing full well how inflammatory it is, and particularly unhelpful in trying to maintain trust with RA when mentioned in the same breath of the proposed commission.

Robinson could’ve raised the point about Australian teams lack of competitiveness without again mentioning reducing team numbers, which makes him either an idiot, or a complete fuckwit, or both.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Robinsons issue is he doesn't like to lose (or the perception of losing) to McLennan so he says things like this to try an "assert" some dominance but McLennan is too fast for him and has already moved on to the next thing.

In the past, RA was subservient to NZRU based on the on field dominance of the NZ teams. McLennan has come in and said hey look at the size of your economy, we might be going sh*t right now but for you to sustain you need us so jump aboard or f*ck off.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes, the competitiveness of the Australian teams is the actual reason, but the idea of culling Australian teams is not the solution just like it wasn’t last time…
Agreed, but that's what a huge percentage of supporters here think , I agree it not answer, but I will guarantee that is only think most can see is reason for uncompetitiveness from this side of ditch! You hear it week after week, and exactly what Robinson said "some will say there too many Aussie teams". I don't agree, it's the structures of Aus rugby over the last 10 years or so I think.
No he says that is what people are saying, the Aussie teams (whether Tahs etc) aren't real strong and a lot don't bother. Why do you think there is so little interest in the crowds going to Aussie matches? And that a genuine question.
I go and watch all teams, but this is what fans say, they prefer what they imagine are going to be compettive matches. As I said I don't agree, but it is what people are saying!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Dan, we have disagreed but i haven't said a bad word about you, no need for these condescending remarks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, we have disagreed but i haven't said a bad word about you, no need for these condescending remarks.
Sorry mate, take your point, it wasn't right way to ask question. I honestly didn't mean it like I read it after your post I went back.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Adam84 but still interested to know why you think that there are poor crowds at most Aussie games here in NZ. I know what I hear down at clubrooms and sidelines most weeks' that is Aussie teasms haven't been copetitive since extra teams came in!
Games I have been too here in NZ were Canes/Force and Chiefs/Reds so I keep saying nothing is guaranteed.
I will say I think it comes from the fact that the Force and Rebels have struggled , and people haven't really looked how generally the Brumbies, Reds have been good, and even Tahs are still not too bad. The bottom line is many can't understand that the teams are struggling to actually really develop players.
You will notice that MP (Moana Pasifika) never get a decent crowd either.

Anyway all I said was that Robinson never at any stage in that interview suggested culling Aussie teams. only gave the reason he is hearing why fans aren't turning up to games, and anyone that listens will have to agree, because that is what he says, also says the comission will look at everything INCLUDING NZ players being able to play in Aus etc, that I think 80% of posters here have called for!

Last edited: