• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well he has been a rugby writer for SMH and Sun Herald since early 2000s well before he ever did anything for Stuff. And he actually grew up in Ireland. I genuinely assumed he was an Aussie up until a few months back.
The article you quote is not on stuff is what I meant, is in SMH isn't it? I don't get SMH so not sure.
lol nah i don't believe that, we debated his very NZ centric views last year when the RA vs NZRugby debate was going on

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

Further to some trans-tasman swapsies, one brilliant idea I had just now is "Protected Players".

The system would be called "Designated Players", or, "DP" for short.

Each season a franchise can only protect 23 players (or maybe even 20) and the remainder can be claimed off the waiver wire for a season. We'd see Kneepkens or Corey Evans or Chay Finaki rather than clueless plodders like Paea or Scrote Gregory.

jpoliticiansdogs(1).jpg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Further to some trans-tasman swapsies, one brilliant idea I had just now is "Protected Players".

The system would be called "Designated Players", or, "DP" for short.

Each season a franchise can only protect 23 players (or maybe even 20) and the remainder can be claimed off the waiver wire for a season. We'd see Kneepkens or Corey Evans or Chay Finaki rather than clueless plodders like Paea or Scrote Gregory.

jpoliticiansdogs(1).jpg
Isn't that the system NZ had in the mid 1990s?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
lol nah i don't believe that, we debated his very NZ centric views last year when the Rugby Australia vs NZRugby debate was going on
Hell mate you think I can remember everytime there has been a whinge about NZ journalists. referees, players ,teams etc etc on the forum?? Man there only so much room in my memory bank, and I try to save it for rugby highlights!! :D

TheHaydog

Stan Wickham (3)
Unusually, there were multiple reported attendances for the Quarter-Finals with 3 out of 4 Announced

Blues vs Waratahs: 12,941
Chiefs vs Reds: 15,500
Brumbies vs Hurricanes: 8,875

A recent Newshub article also mentioned the Blues averaging 16,147 fans per game this season. They almost certainly have the highest crowd average despite playing in the half-empty cauldron that is Eden Park.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Presented without comment.

Referee: Angus Gardner

Assistant Referees: Ben O'Keeffe, James Doleman

Referee: Nic Berry

Assistant Referees: Paul Williams, Jordan Way

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NZRugby at it again, Robinson talking publicly about cutting Australian teams…hints it’s something the commission might look at.
While Robinson insists Australia's ongoing presence in Super Rugby is critical, he admits a reduction in the number of teams across the ditch would mean the talent pool is less diluted, resulting in fewer but more competitive teams.
“But that's ultimately a decision for them and it's something we'll work more on, you know, when we get the commission up and running” https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...ew-zealand-fallen-out-of-love-with-rugby.html

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry, what are we supposed to be raging about today? Two Australian refs? I don't see what's wrong with that tbh.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coupla outlets reporting that SANZAAR have rejected shifting TRC to March-April & Super Rugby to May-September [Edit: as mooted by SARU & UAR] to give SA & Argentina's Euro-based players more of a break. Has been communicated to 6N & WR (World Rugby) as part of the ongoing work towards establishing a Global Calendar.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
NZRugby at it again, Robinson talking publicly about cutting Australian teams…hints it’s something the commission might look at.
An interesting stat I stumbled across - out of 50 possible grand final appearances (i.e. 25 finals (excl. covid) x 2 teams), NZ teams have appeared 28 times, SA 11, Aus 10, and Arg 1.

Of those 10 Aus appearances, 6 came prior to the addition of the Force, with a 7th before the Rebels.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An interesting stat I stumbled across - out of 50 possible grand final appearances (i.e. 25 finals (excl. covid) x 2 teams), NZ teams have appeared 28 times, SA 11, Aus 10, and Arg 1.

Of those 10 Aus appearances, 5 came prior to the addition of the Force, with a 6th before the Rebels.

It would've been 6 prior to the Force... Brumbies x5, Tahs x 1
1 prior to the Rebels: Tahs x1
3 after the Rebels: Reds x1, Brumbies x1, Tahs x1

That period of Super Rugby after the Rebels were introduced with 15 teams between 2011 and 2015 was actually one of the stronger periods for Australian teams in terms of finals representation.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It would've been 6 prior to the Force... Brumbies x5, Tahs x 1
1 prior to the Rebels: Tahs x1
3 after the Rebels: Reds x1, Brumbies x1, Tahs x1

That period of Super Rugby after the Rebels were introduced with 15 teams between 2011 and 2015 was actually one of the stronger periods for Australian teams in terms of finals representation.
Yep, you're right - got my count wrong. Have updated it.

Yeah, that period was interesting - from a general 'hype' point of view, it really felt like rugby was back on the map in the eye of the general public too. Understandable that it would go hand in hand with success

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Where is Dan54 to refute this?
Right here, and what is wrong with the comment? He wonders if Aus have to many teams and adds this comment.
'But that's ultimately a decision for them and it's something we'll work more on, you know, when we get the commission up and running”

So basically he saying it up to Aussie and that's a problem now?

Last edited: