• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Queensland Reds @ Newlands - 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Massive game for the Reds a little set back against the Lions missing out on the bonus point try but they still got the win.

The Stormers along with the Crusaders are the benchmark of super rugby they've just knocked off the Sharks who are a bit of a bogey team for the Stormers & are still the only undefeated side in the comp.

The Reds have been guilty of bombing tries the last few weeks that's a habit they'll have to drop very quickly if they want to win in Cape Town.

I'd love a win but I'm tipping the Stormers to end our winning streak.

Can't see Link making many changes hopefully he sticks with Holmes & Slipper up front & maybe finds a spot on the bench for Will Chambers.

My Guess at Links 22.

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Robinson
8. Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. Ioane
14. Davies
15. Harris

Res: 16.Hanson 17.Daley 18.AWH 19.Samo 20.Schatz 21.Chambers 22.Prior

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
1/ Holmes
2/ Fainga'a
3/ Slipper (if not Shepherdson to be flown over)
4/ Simmons
5/ Horwill
6/ Samo
7/ Robinson
8/ Houston
9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Ionae
12 Fainga'a
13/ Chambers
14/ Davies
15/ Harris

16/ Hanson
17/ Daley
18/ AWH
19/ Higgers
20/ Shatz
21/ Prior
22/ Morohan

He will go Samo for size and impact but will bring Higgers on as fresh legs for pace and his support play later in the game. Shatz and AWH will enter to keep the pace of the game up. Harris will stay for his goal kicking. Digby to be given more mobility and Chambers to return after being kicked up the arse for poor form. Link will prefer the tall lineout to counter Bekker.

The key to this game for the Reds will be precise execution of the basics as chances may be scarce. I think the
Reds can get up for this one.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stormers by 46.

Reds won't score more than 10 points.

Jaque Fourie will get a hat trick.

R

Richard D. James

It took one of the Reds best performances in a decade (another being the week before, tbf) to beat the Stormers last year, and that was at home. Just can't see them doing it at Newlands. Would love to be proved wrong obviously.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
IF the reds show up and their execution is all correct then they will win and give quade the space to tear the stormers apart. If they're execution is shotty, then expect them to be well beaten. Should be a cracker, Unbreachable stormers defense meets Unstoppable Reds Attack

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Looking forward to this match. Important and a must win game for the Stormers. The Stormers not in 5th gear just yet but this year they grunt their wins and a good sign. Francois Louw and Elstadt has been pretty effective for us at the breakdowns and with Schalkie back and Vermeulen in good form probably our strong point. Would like to see the Stormers rotate a bit and giving JdJ a start. Bekker also need a break at some time and maybe starts with Worms. Our Vodacom side also unbeaten and in excellent form. Lionel Cronje and JJ Engelbrecht the stars in this team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reds prop Slipper cited

April 3 2011 at 11:25am
james slipper

AFP

Reds prop James Slipper will appear in front of a South African New Zealand and Australian Rugby (SANZAR) Judicial Hearing in Cape Town.

Reds prop James Slipper will appear in front of a South African New Zealand and Australian Rugby (SANZAR) Judicial Hearing in Cape Town on Monday.

The hearing comes after Slipper was yellow-carded for a dangerous tip tackle on Lions hooker Bandise Maku during a Super Rugby fixture in Johannesburg on Saturday. Slipper has been cited for an alleged breach of Foul Play Law 10.4 (j) that relates to lifting an opponent off the ground and dropping or driving him into the ground whilst his feet are still in the air.

The incident occurred in the sixth minute of the match. The hearing will take place in the Western Province Rugby Union Boardroom and will be chaired by SANZAR Judicial Officer, Advocate Rob Stelzner. - Sapa

This will be a very interesting game, the first for the Reds against top opposition, and no real opportunity for the Reds to ambush them (as they were able to do last year)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This will be a very interesting game, the first for the Reds against top opposition, and no real opportunity for the Reds to ambush them (as they were able to do last year)

Hard to call it an ambush when the Reds had beaten the Bulls the week before. Stormers may say it was, but that says more about their own preparation than the status of the Reds.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is more about being a newly successful side with not a lot of video about.

The dossier is extensive now and I expect the Stormers to bash the Reds pigs with Quade getting very little quick ball with Burger hunting him on the inside and DeVilliers from the outside

T

TheTruth

Agree FP - interesting to see line up as IMO Slipper will cop maybe 2 to 3. Do they bring Shep in on the bench or straight into 3 or Daley at 1 Holmes at 3 - big call for Link against the Stormers. Thought Morahan played very well and looks to have cemented a wing spot for the forseeable future

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Harris looks to have presented Link with a selection dilemma. His goal kicking on the weekend looked peerless, and that kind of quality goalkicking will be needed against the Stormers. It did seem apparent though that he is not a fullback, so what to do with him? Was it an off day for Cooper and can he be relied on to get his range back? If that's the gamble then Harris back to the bench for mine, with Chambers on the wing and Morahan at the back. If they really feel they need his boot, then what about playing him on the wing with Morahan at fullback, and Tapuai on the bench?

T

tranquility

Chambers can't play wing, he has before but it should never happen again. He is too slow, this is why he is never in the 22. Its 13 or nothing.

Keep Harris at the back I say, he is clearly a good footballer and got dusted on his debut at fullback. Big deal, remember what the All Blacks did to Rabbit when he played at the back?

Morahan is also much better on the wing.

Bring it on, I think this game is definitely winnable.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't think we can afford Harris at fullback for this one. After that performance on the weekend, if we put him there Peter Grant will be putting it high every other time he gets the ball. Going to be a good game, but we will have to lift from the seasons performance so far to take this game. Not that it can't be done, but it will be bloody difficult.

Be interesting to see how the Tahs go against the Stormers Qwerty.......oh that's right, they don't play them this year do they?. Could have been worse for them than the Crusaders game, but I guess we will never know.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This could be a cracker. Beware the Stormers pack, they seem to live for grinding teams into the turf.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Of all the teams the Stormers have played so far this year, the Reds will ask the most questions of their defense.

Having said that I donlt think it will matter because the game will be won by the Stormers in the forwards. If their pack plays like they did against the Sharks I honestly can't see the Reds living with them. That was a monstrous effort from th Stormers 8, especially the back row. The combination of Burger / Flouw / Vermeulen is one of the best balanced in the comp and can not be beaten for power and pace. Add to that a very powerful and mobile 4 and 5 (Elstad at 4 must be the SA find of the year so far and he is immensely physical) and other packs will struggle against these guys (except the Crusaders).

Please note that as a Bulls supporter I am bleeding from the eyes while writing this about our mortal enemies but their play this weekend was impressive.

The torrential rain in the second half did not help but the Sharks never got on the front foot. The Sharks ball runnes were nullified and Louw again played at the breakdown like he did last year when the Boks picked him. Be afraid, very afraid.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't think we can afford Harris at fullback for this one. After that performance on the weekend, if we put him there Peter Grant will be putting it high every other time he gets the ball. Going to be a good game, but we will have to lift from the seasons performance so far to take this game. Not that it can't be done, but it will be bloody difficult.

Be interesting to see how the Tahs go against the Stormers Qwerty.......oh that's right, they don't play them this year do they?. Could have been worse for them than the Crusaders game, but I guess we will never know.

Link is no stranger to selection surprises so this had me thinking of the possibility of swapping Harris and Cooper. The Stormers are going to go at Quade in defence and Harris in the air. They would be mad not too so take the wind out of their sails by swapping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.