• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Queensland Reds @ Newlands - 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

Link is no stranger to selection surprises so this had me thinking of the possibility of swapping Harris and Cooper. The Stormers are going to go at Quade in defence and Harris in the air. They would be mad not too so take the wind out of their sails by swapping them.

What to do with Harris - unbelievable goalkicker but failed at 15 - maybe throw him at 13 and Morahan at back

T

TheTruth

Link is no stranger to selection surprises so this had me thinking of the possibility of swapping Harris and Cooper. The Stormers are going to go at Quade in defence and Harris in the air. They would be mad not too so take the wind out of their sails by swapping them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Stormers Newlands winning streak is now on 10.

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 Stormers v Force 51-16
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 Stormers v Highlanders 18-6
Sat, 05 Mar 2011 Stormers v Cheetahs 21-15
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 Stormers v Lions 19-16
Sat, 22 May 2010 Stormers v Waratahs 25-6
Sat, 15 May 2010 Stormers v Bulls 38-10
Fri, 30 Apr 2010 Stormers v Crusaders 42-14
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 Stormers v Cheetahs 21-8
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 Stormers v Hurricanes 37-13
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 Stormers v Highlanders 33-0
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 Stormers v Brumbies 17-19

their history against the Reds:
Date Match Score Venue
2010 Stormers v Reds 13-16 Brisbane
2009 Stormers v Reds 27-24 Cape Town
2008 Stormers v Reds 34-16 Brisbane
2007 Stormers v Reds 37-24 Cape Town
2006 Stormers v Reds 24-20 Brisbane
2005 Stormers v Reds 15-13 Cape Town
2004 Stormers v Reds 21-20 Brisbane
2003 Stormers v Reds 20-41 Cape Town
2002 Stormers v Reds 46-49 Brisbane
2001 Stormers v Reds 29-27 George
2000 Stormers v Reds 24-37 Brisbane
1999 Stormers v Reds 35-14 Cape Town
1998 Stormers v Reds 14-19 Brisbane

Interesting stats Paarl. Looks like a close and even battle between these two teams.

One game at a time is the only way a team should be managed. Genia is not our captain though. I'm looking forward to this game and if one thing about the Reds is that they can be at their best when they are written off.

May the best team win on the day and hope to hell the ref don't stuff up what should be a gret game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What to do with Harris - unbelievable goalkicker but failed at 15 - maybe throw him at 13 and Morahan at back

Play him in his natural position at ten. It was his first game and he will be better for it so a second chance might also be in order.

T

TheTruth

Play him in his natural position at ten. It was his first game and he will be better for it so a second chance might also be in order.

Ruggo
never really heard about the bloke prior to joining Reds - is he a natural 10, I mean good. Realise it was his first game but the errors of judgement under the high ball are a concern - that is fairly elementary at all levels let alone Super 15

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Time will tell if it was a troll. I'll be happen to eat my words if the Reds get close.

I don't need time to tell me you are a troll. Whether the Reds lose by 20, 40 or win, you came on this thread with the main purpose to troll. It is pretty clear.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slipper has been cleared in his SANZAR judicial hearing and therefore should be right to play the Stormers this weekend.

I'm putting that name - Stefan Weyers - in my little black book in case of any drunken indiscretions in Jo-burg.

It looked a lot worse than it was and Slipper just stood his ground and went under the ball carrier.
The SA commentary team carried on like a couple of old Nancys.

Good call.

T

TheTruth

It looked a lot worse than it was and Slipper just stood his ground and went under the ball carrier.
The SA commentary team carried on like a couple of old Nancys.

Good call.

Agree good call but must have been well represented all the same

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I think some of that QC (Quade Cooper) confidence is starting to rub off onto Link..twitter:

Huh? What do you want him to publicly say "Oh the stormers forwards are so scary, I don't know what well do".

There's nothing wrong with what he said, if they want to win they need to overcome the stormers forward pack. The Reds will want a challenge set for them, otherwise they'll go into the game mediocre.

In my opinion it's exactly the type of attitude a coach should have.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good on Link - our forward pack has the potential to be immensely physically.

:nta: I don't see where you see the potencial.
It would be the first pack years or so, to be so.

Aus S14/5 packs have been soft for years, none have shown any evidence of improving either.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ruggo
never really heard about the bloke prior to joining Reds - is he a natural 10, I mean good. Realise it was his first game but the errors of judgement under the high ball are a concern - that is fairly elementary at all levels let alone Super 15

Played 10 for North Harbour where Link spotted him. I agree about the high ball issue but I am hoping it was just nerves and not somthing more serious. Can't blame a bloke for hoping though.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I disagree - I think that is just a truism.

If there is fire in the belly, anyone is capable of anything in my opinion. Especially if you are huge, like the majority of the QLD pack.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I disagree - I think that is just a truism.

If there is fire in the belly, anyone is capable of anything in my opinion. Especially if you are huge, like the majority of the QLD pack.

Nah. I have seen a lot of great big muscled pussies in my time (no not literally). Just being a big unit does not mean you relish contact.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting stats Paarl. Looks like a close and even battle between these two teams.

One game at a time is the only way a team should be managed. Genia is not our captain though. I'm looking forward to this game and if one thing about the Reds is that they can be at their best when they are written off.

May the best team win on the day and hope to hell the ref don't stuff up what should be a gret game.
Boet the Cape press and Keo mountain goat lot is probably the closest you'll find with the Aus press and those Farce posters on here, thought your coach is use to this. Myself will never write off any S15 team , they all pretty close and it all depend on the day. Doesnt mean I feel pretty confident about the Stormers change at Newlands against any S15 team at this moment. Newlands with their close to 40,000 faithfull always brings out that extra from the players.

The ref is a Kiwi one , so you cant complain about SA refs this time around. I am really looking forward to this one, to see what our defense can do against the best attack Aus can offer. Also looking forward to the Brutes vs Saders one, think we in for a big surprise in that one. Hope the Brutes knock them so hard, the need to still feel the Earth Quake comes WC time.

Status
Not open for further replies.