• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Queensland Reds @ Newlands - 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Please note that as a Bulls supporter I am bleeding from the eyes while writing this about our mortal enemies but their play this weekend was impressive.
Dont worry Blou, I understand it. Thought the Stormers can play a lot better. Agree on Elstadt, impressive so far and like a extra loosie all over the place and first at breakdowns. At the moment we just grind out wins, want to see those backs in full flight.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
The best defenses usually wins the game in the end so it's hard seeing the Reds beating the Stormers. I hope I'm wrong but it's going to be tough going for the Reds and if they can pull it off, it not only makes the Reds the favourites to win the comp but it also gives hope to the Wallabies and their attack based plan.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers takes it one game at a time
Superrugby
Stormers still taking it one at a time

One of the most impressive features of the DHL Stormers’ season so far is not so much the fact they remain unbeaten in all matches, including friendlies, but the measured way they have gone about it.

If you consider that they had been beaten twice by the Sharks at Mr Price Kings Park in 2010 and do not boast a good record at the stadium, you might have expected scenes of jubilation from the Stormers after they had won 16-6 to effectively complete their second major away win over a local rival in the space of a fortnight.

But instead of euphoria there was only a calmness and a matter of fact air about the Stormers in keeping with the measured way they had gone about controlling the Sharks throughout the 80 minutes of a match that never rose to any great heights as a spectacle.

The Stormers’ goal was to shut down the Sharks by dominating the collisions, and that is what they did. You wouldn’t say it was an ugly win like some of those much earlier in the season, but neither was it spectacular – it was just a very effective performance.

It leaves the Stormers still on top of the log after six matches – some other teams have played seven – but coach Allister Coetzee knows that the challenge never stops. He would have noted that Will Genia, the Reds captain, spoke quite a bit about the Stormers after his team’s win over the Lions at the weekend, and if you look at the log situation, Saturday’s clash between the two teams at Newlands is another massive one.

The Reds are currently joint second on the overall log with the Crusaders, and a loss for the Stormers on Saturday could see them over-taken in the battle for pole position.

“It’s another big test for us next week, we know that. In this competition you just have to take it game by game and ensure you pitch up each week and bring the physicality and the accuracy that is necessary,” said Stormers coach Allister Coetzee.

“You need to be accurate in the set-pieces, you need to make the right decisions at the breakdowns, which is what Francois Louw and the other players did right against the Sharks. In this match what we did right was apply pressure well, and our defence was also very accurate, effectively taking the option of going wide away from the Sharks.”

Coetzee said the trick to getting through the long and arduous nature of the competition successfully was to just keep focusing on the small things.

“There are lots of small little battles in every game, the key is just to get that job done and do it week from week. I think we have grown enormously in the mental aspect since last year and compared to then this side is in a much better mental space. We don’t get flustered when things don’t go our way and other teams challenge us,” said Coetzee.

“This competition is very hard on the guys, and there is still a long way forward. We are still not sure what a successful competition will be. In this competition you know that at some stage your depth will be tested. We saw the Bulls bounce back this weekend, and we expect that the Sharks will too. That is why we are keeping our feet on the ground.”

Coetzee said he was happy with the way young players had come through in the Stormers systems, and attributed the excellent performances of lock Rynhardt Elstadt in particular but also wing Danie Poolman to the leadership of the senior players.

“The youngsters are feeding off momentum. Because of the way the senior players are paving the way there is less pressure on the younger players and it is easier for them to express themselves. They just have to keep putting in the hard yards.”

Coetzee was unsure on Saturday night whether they had been any injury concerns and said he would be looking at how the players recovered from the match when the side gets together again on Monday.

“There are no known injuries to speak of but obviously in a hard game like this one there were bumps and bruises and the players will feel it over the next few days,” said Coetzee

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Be interesting to see how the Tahs go against the Stormers Qwerty.......oh that's right, they don't play them this year do they?. Could have been worse for them than the Crusaders game, but I guess we will never know.

Confident if we did play them we'd only lose by 20 and not 40.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a surprise, Qwerty trolling yet again on a thread involving the Reds.

Got a big chip on that shoulder, don't you?

Time will tell if it was a troll. I'll be happen to eat my words if the Reds get close.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Confident if we did play them we'd only lose by 20 and not 40.

Well history would indicate that your confidence in the Tahs losing by 20 is well founded. Using their most recent matches against the Stormers as a guide, the Tahs lost 27-6 in Feb 2010 and then again 25-6 in May 2010. So an average loss of bang on 20! Well done Qwerty51.

However, you only get part marks because in the Reds last outing against the Stomers they won 16-13. That's not only the opposite of losing like the Tahs did twice, it's also 43 points away from your current prediction and 49 away from your original estimate.

If you can come up with a different reason for every point of difference from last year's score that you are predicting, you might be convince people that you're correct and get full marks. But until we see Qwerty51's "49 Reasons why the Stormers will destroy the Reds", I don't think you'll find much support for your views on the Reds likely performance against the Stormers on this thread.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I could write an essay why the Reds beat the Stormers last year and it has nothing to do with how good the Reds are.

But I won't bother. Although the constant appraisal of how good the Reds 2010 season was is really urging me to.

G

GC

The Reds beating the Stormers, Bulls and Crusaders last year was just a fluke. Any team could have done that. ;)

Will be tough this weekend though. Any news on Slipper?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
keep this Stormers home thread clean of this Aussie state bashing please :)
No way, we need the Tah support to succeed on saturday. They are 4 points adrift in the Aus conferense and needs us to set the record straight.

T

TOCC

PB I think you misinterpreted his comment..

Anyway, this will be the hardest game of the season for the Reds so far, yes i understand we lost to NSW, but it wasnt so much a 'hard' match as it was the Reds were just completely off the pace for that game. I think we can expect to see QC (Quade Cooper) reign in his flamboyance a bit for this match and turn in a more 'controlled' performance similar to those against the Brumbies and Force.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I could write an essay why the Reds beat the Stormers last year and it has nothing to do with how good the Reds are.

But I won't bother. Although the constant appraisal of how good the Reds 2010 season was is really urging me to.

You seem to be a very bitter person qwerty.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The Reds would be disappointed with their discipline on the weekend - fix that and you go a long way to stopping the Stormers score points from the boot of Peter Grant.

I think the Reds are capable of winning this game definitely. They will have to play bloody good though - if the Stormers win, I won't be surprised and I will forget it pretty quickly once the focus moves to the Bulls at home.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers Newlands winning streak is now on 10.

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 Stormers v Force 51-16
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 Stormers v Highlanders 18-6
Sat, 05 Mar 2011 Stormers v Cheetahs 21-15
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 Stormers v Lions 19-16
Sat, 22 May 2010 Stormers v Waratahs 25-6
Sat, 15 May 2010 Stormers v Bulls 38-10
Fri, 30 Apr 2010 Stormers v Crusaders 42-14
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 Stormers v Cheetahs 21-8
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 Stormers v Hurricanes 37-13
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 Stormers v Highlanders 33-0
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 Stormers v Brumbies 17-19

their history against the Reds:
Date Match Score Venue
2010 Stormers v Reds 13-16 Brisbane
2009 Stormers v Reds 27-24 Cape Town
2008 Stormers v Reds 34-16 Brisbane
2007 Stormers v Reds 37-24 Cape Town
2006 Stormers v Reds 24-20 Brisbane
2005 Stormers v Reds 15-13 Cape Town
2004 Stormers v Reds 21-20 Brisbane
2003 Stormers v Reds 20-41 Cape Town
2002 Stormers v Reds 46-49 Brisbane
2001 Stormers v Reds 29-27 George
2000 Stormers v Reds 24-37 Brisbane
1999 Stormers v Reds 35-14 Cape Town
1998 Stormers v Reds 14-19 Brisbane

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Slipper has been cleared in his SANZAR judicial hearing and therefore should be right to play the Stormers this weekend.

Slipper had been cited for an alleged breach of Foul Play Law 10.4 (j) that relates to lifting an opponent off the ground and dropping or driving him into the ground whilst his feet are still in the air.

The incident occurred in the sixth minute of the match between the Lions and the Reds in Johannesburg.

The Judicial Officer, Advocate Rob Stelzner carefully considered the video evidence, the referee’s report, the citing commissioner’s report, Slipper’s testimony and submissions by his legal representative, Stefan Weyers.

He then concluded that he was not satisfied on the balance of probability that Slipper’s action was in breach of Law 10.4 (j).

The case was accordingly dismissed.

I'm putting that name - Stefan Weyers - in my little black book in case of any drunken indiscretions in Jo-burg.

T

TOCC

I think some of that QC (Quade Cooper) confidence is starting to rub off onto Link..twitter:
Ewen_McKenzie Ewen McKenzie
Newspapers here are telling us they are going to dish us up front and nullify our backs ........ I like a real challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.