• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
New year on the way! Hopefully less shit going on than the last one.

So are we going to see movement in the Divisions? Thinking Newport will go up to Div 2 and Redfield will go back down to Div 3.

Hunters Hill to Div 1 and Knox dropping? Remains to be seen whether that gives Knox any competitive advantage given KNOBs didn't field 4th Grade 3 times this year and their Thirds got towelled.

I'm hearing Raptors want to field Colts AND a Third Grade so they might even have a shot at 3rd Div as well. Adding 2 teams is not an easy gig but they've won everything they've entered, so why not? Who do they replace? Blacktown? HAC? Nobody quite knows, but that is some ambition.

Div 1: Drummoyne, Mosman, Colleagues, Waverley, Forest, Blue Mountains, Petersham, Hunters Hill
Div 2: Knox, St Pats, UNSW, Hills, Epping, BOBs, Lindfield, Newport
Div 3: Redfield, Iggies, Beecroft, Briars, Valley, Harlequins, 2 of Blacktown/HAC/Raptors

Think it unlikely HAC will go down because they were probably hit hardest by COVID. Dunno.

Now we get into the sticky shit - the clubs who can put out multiple grades in a non-Colts environment. This gets tricky because some of those clubs either can't move past 1 Grade due to various factors, or won't because they're happy where they are.

So where do we sit in terms of likelies? Covid certainly threw a spanner at a few clubs, while others benefited from the shortened season. I think Fourth Division will again be 2 Grades official with a Third to play Halligan Cup as required.

Based on what I saw and heard at the end of the year, this is my thinking:

3 Grades: Canterbury, Renegades
3 MAYBE: Saints, Mac Uni, Balmain, Brothers
2 Grades: Sydney Irish
2 MAYBE: Savers, Wakehurst, Oysters, Kings OB, Merrylands, Combined Forces, Dukes, Convicts
1 Grade: Burraneer, Chatswood, Sea Lice, Engadine, Maccabi, Lane Cove
Edge case: DY/Terrey Hills, Oatley

Based on that, maybe we could see the following

Div 4 (2-3 Grades): 1 of Blacktown/HAC/Raptors, Canterbury, Renegades, Saints, Mac Uni, Balmain, Brothers, Sydney Irish
Div 5 (2 Grades): Savers, Wakehurst, Oysters, Kings OB, Merrylands, Dukes, Forces, Convicts
Div 6: Burraneer, Chatswood, Sea Lice, Engadine, Maccabi, Lane Cove, DY/TH, Oatley

Hopefully get enough clubs with 3 Grades to have a bit of a fun run in Thirds.

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
Beecroft appoint Epeli Ruivadra as first grade head coach for next season. 28 caps for Fiji is an impressive resume, he’ll no doubt be preparing the most explosive backline in subbies next year.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
My Hunters Hill contact seems to think HH have waived away 1st Division and will be staying to smash up DIV 2. St Pats to go up?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Had heard something similar. Might be a question of numbers or being burned last time they were up there?

BJT

Frank Nicholson (4)
My Hunters Hill contact seems to think HH have waived away 1st Division and will be staying to smash up DIV 2. St Pats to go up?

But who would come down? I doubt Knox would want to after signing Ross Reynolds as DOR.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
It appears HH are in 2nd DIV which is a bit of a joke. Didn't they dominate all top grades last year and are obviously keen to bash DIV 2 clubs again in 2021 far from the challenges of Kentwell. Am I missing something?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking at the top 3 Divisions on Subbies website - every club from last year is listed somewhere, with Newport in both 2nd and 3rd Div for now.

That indicates to me that Divisions 1 & 2 are set:

DIV 1: Blue Mountains, Colleagues, Drummoyne, Forest, Knox, Mosman, Petersham, Waverley
DIV 2: Epping, Hills, Hunters Hill, Lindfield, Newport, Old Barker, St Patrick's, UNSW

If the assumption is that Redfield drop to Div 3 and keep Colts, that would indicate Div 3 is also on the cusp of being set as follows:

Beecroft, Blacktown, Briars, Hawkesbury Ag College, Hawkesbury Valley, Old Ignatians, Redfield OB, Sydney Harlequins

However I'm hearing a couple of clubs from Div 4 want to move up to Div 3 to service Colts on a regular basis.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Redfield in freefall! Down to Div 4 at best with 2 Grades, supposedly.

So we've got Div 3 as Beecroft, Blacktown, Briars, Hawkesbury Ag College, Hawkesbury Valley, Old Ignatians, Sydney Harlequins and ???

Northern Saints might try for that spot given they have Colts, but will they have enough for Three Grades? Didn't set the world on fire in any Grade last year.

Western Raptors might be keen as well after they were looking at Colts, but also questions over numbers. No doubt the pedigree of their wins to date is worthy of promotion. It'll also mean some very short travel times to HAC, Valley, and Blacktown.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Redfield down to 4th is quite a jump. Always had a competitive 1st grade but a small playing base makes it tough in Div2.
Hunters Hill must have pulled some strings to stay in Div2, I'm guesing at the expense of Knobs.

I expect HH to clean up 4th-2nds in Div2, with another big chance in 1st grade.

BOBs will struggle, I assume again not fielding a 3rd grade or if they do will be regularly get cricket scores put on them until they forfiet. Frustarting for everyone.

Interested to see how Epping and Lindfield will go, hearing big things across the club.

Newport should put on all 4 grades and will be good to se them successful in Div 2.

My going off early Tip: St Pats to get revenge and take out First Grade

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BOBs will struggle, I assume again not fielding a 3rd grade or if they do will be regularly get cricket scores put on them until they forfiet. Frustarting for everyone.

That will be interesting given they're not putting out 4th Grade - they might have to drop to 3rd Div for 2022. Nobody besides Newport really shone across the grades to move up and take their place.

The main thing for us now is sorting out Divs 4/5/6 - there are 4 clubs putting their hand up for 3 Grades (one of Saints/Raptors likely to go up to 3rd Div) and then 12 left who are saying they'll have 2.

10 clubs confirming 1 Grade probably makes a large Division 6. We can't keep letting clubs with numbers play 1 Grade or we'll never get back to equilibrium.

Waverley1971

Frank Row (1)
As a long time onlooker of this forum, I have always enjoyed it as I have an interest in all divisions of Subbies rugby.

As someone who was part of the Waverley squad I feel obliged to comment, I am guessing by looking at the timings of these posts you'd had a few too many drinks and where just typing through boredom? Strange thing to say about another club that you clearly know nothing about.

For a start I can only apologise on behalf for not having an AR for the start of the game vs the Renegades, we should of been on top of that.

I think the AR incident has been the trigger for your negativity and clear narrow mindedness towards us as a club. As for players whining at every decision, I think you have just got that in your head mate, our lads are incredibly competitive and want to win, so you will probably hear them more but to say they are whining is a bit of an exaggeration.

Why not bring up some of the positives for the day?

The Waverley lads offered themselves up to help out another club who were short of numbers. The team made up of 4th and 5th grade players who moved the post pads to the back pitch so the game could be completed, losing all momentum and ended up losing from being ahead, no whining just gutted they had lost.

You mention us being the only Div 1 club there so don't give a shit? Strange comment, I am guessing it is coming from lack of knowledge or perhaps jealousy?

It was only 6 years ago that we were a Division 3 club struggling, in fact 4 of yesterdays team were playing when we were a division 3 side so completely understand Subbies rugby and what it is about. The fact that there has been countless hours of work going on behind the scenes to make the club what it is and to be a competitive Division 1 side is no reason to simply insinuate that Div 1 clubs don't give a shit. I think that is more you just feeling sorry for yourself and looking for someone to blame.

Genuinely good luck for the season, you had some really talented lads out there and I am sure with proper guidance and support they will do really well.

LG

Edit by Braveheart81: I have deleted the quoted text as that post no longer exists and made some minor modifications to the post that were responding to the deleted text. The rest of the post is fine.

Waverley1971

Frank Row (1)
Also for the record: I - and the rest of the Committee, Coaches, and wider group at Renegades Rugby - are thrilled with our performance on the day. Not bad for our first attempt at Subbies (or any other) 7s tournament.

Rightly so they did themselves proud.

I am going to leave it here as don't want to get into a dick swinging competition based on miscommunications, was a great day out and we are grateful to Blacktown for their hospitality.

Again, good luck for the season and lets hope 2021 is a smoother ride than last year.

LG

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Divisional meeting for all the clubs in Divs 4-6 tonight, as we try to hammer out a season structure.

No word yet on whether Raptors or Saints got the nod to go up to Div 3.

The next 24 hours will be interesting indeed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good meeting tonight - a bit of movement in terms of how many grades at each club, but nothing final at this point in terms of Divisions.

What remains concrete is the shortage of clubs with 3 Grades :( looks like Canterbury and Renegades, with possible a couple of others putting on a Halligan Cup match every now and then. Tough times for some in grassroots land.

Desperately want to get as many clubs with 2 Grades as possible, so they can become 3!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tomorrow is the big day: Renegades Rugby hosting Dukes, Covies, Mosman, Hornsby, Hunters Hill, and Briars on Indianna Challenge Trophy Day 2021. Full day of men's XVs and women's 7s starting 11:30AM and going through until 5PM.

163513279_3867398753295999_5109359392735541533_n.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any news from trials yesterday?

Renegades had their charity day yesterda as per my post above. HOT day for it. I got my bald head burned despite copious sunscreen application.

We had our Womens 7s there along with Hornsby, Briars, and Hunters Hill. Some good competition to fill in between men's games, but it was getting a bit loose as the day wore on and the girls were feeling the lack of breaks for conversions.

Renegades' Third Grade - mostly old blokes like me and the guys not ready for 2s - got a bit of a touch up from Mosman's Halligan Cup squad who had about 30 blokes along due to their Canberra trip being cancelled. Was 7 tries to 2 (no goal kicks for the trial).

Renegades Second Grade were a mostly new outfit and took on Lane Cove who will have one grade this year. Some really good play from individuals, with some of our league converts/part timers still finding their feet. Covies were fairly slick but will be better for the hit out. Was a draw at three tries each (no kicks for the trial).

Renegades First Grade took on Alexandria Dukes for the Indianna Challenge Trophy. Man it was a tight game - some good quality play from both teams. Renegades won 15-12 (three tries to 2tries 1con), to win the trophy back for the first time in a couple of years.

On track to raise more money than we did last year for Neuroblastoma Australia, so that is the big win for the day, really.

After playing the first 20 minutes of third Grade, reffing the subsequent 40 minutes of Third Grade, followed by reffing 2 women's 7s games and running the line for most of Second Grade, I got a migraine and heat stroke. Silly boy didn't take enough fluids or food.

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
Just saw on Fusesport that western raptors have been promoted to div 3. Will be interesting to see how they go for such a new seniors club