• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division four outlook:

McLean Cup
Now everyone has had a look at each other, the second round promises to be fascinating, particularly for the top 5.

Despite only 1 loss to date, Oysters you'd have to say are clearly the favourites at this point, with Savers and Redfield both having what were probably unexpected stumbles. I wouldn't write off Saints either who have been very competitive against some of the top sides, yet will wonder how they dropped a game against Oatley - think they were short on numbers that day. Lugarno is a LONG drive.

The Renegades could challenge but need some consistency around attendance :)

Grose Cup
A small gap has opened up here for the top 4. Renegades started with a hiss and a roar but some guys from weeks 1-3 started to drop off around week 4. A bit of realignment and I see no reason why we can't challenge for the gong along with Savers, Berries, and Oatley who run solid sides.

Travel might be the issue for Oatley who get the local derby against Canterbury but then away to Savers, Saints, and Renegades in the back half before Redfield at home.

We're sitting in 4th for both grades which is something the club has not had in a long time. The Halligan Cup team are 3rd which is also good for our depth. Could be better with more consistency but life gets in the way sometimes ;)

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 3 Review

Due to the uncertainties surrounding Raptors I'll be leaving them out of this discussion.

Clark cup:

Extremely tight with upsets all year have lead the competition looking wide open where 5 clubs look like they're in at a realistic shot at the title. Beecroft have looked consistent yet a poor showing on ladies day against Briars has casted doubts on their ability to win big games. After a slow start Hawkesbury Valley have looked extremely impressive with the trip to Mcquade proving a huge effort for most clubs. Briars and Harlequins also emerging as potential challenges for title however Harlequins will need to start beating stronger teams to be considered a serious contender. Iggies, Blacktown and HAC look to be on the outside this year.

Farrant cup:

Harlequins have emerged as front runners of 2nd grade this year and having watched them play they are well worth their position, well drilled and tough to hold out when they have momentum. Valley are also achieving well with some good results. Iggies and Beecroft have underperformed in the 2nd grade competition this year and if they can turn their results around in the 2nd half of the competition they will most certainly re-enter the conversation. Blacktown, HAC and Briars way off the pack.

Nicholson cup:

Beecroft far and away the best team in colts this with their slick backline tearing teams apart all year. They had a close game against Beasties 17-15 at Waterloo so it will be interesting to see if the return game at Headen will be as close. Can anyone stop them? Time will tell. Beasties and Iggies will battle for the other grand final spot with the other clubs making up the numbers in a weakened colts competition.

Campbell cup:

Beecroft on top of 3rd grade with some solid wins against pre-incident Raptors and Iggies both away from home. Harlequins have performed well in 3rd grade as well however the travel to Waterloo does make a difference in the lower grades. I do think in the end it will be a repeat of last years grand final between Beecroft and Iggies as they're always on towards the business end of the year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nicholson cup:

Beecroft far and away the best team in colts this with their slick backline tearing teams apart all year. They had a close game against Beasties 17-15 at Waterloo so it will be interesting to see if the return game at Headen will be as close. Can anyone stop them? Time will tell. Beasties and Iggies will battle for the other grand final spot with the other clubs making up the numbers in a weakened colts competition.

Haven't watched much of the Colts on Cluch this year, but it is interesting that Easts 4s are basically there or thereabouts in the reckoning.

Makes me wonder what it would take to get more Colts outside the top 2 XVs at each Premier Club to come to Subbies. Not sure what rego costs are like at e.g. Eastwood but I reckon a lot of Subbies clubs would be better value if you want to play regularly.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 2 - Mid Season Wrap

Hunters Hill: The Div 1 dodgers have had a stellar first round and currently sit a top the table in 2nds, 3rds and Colts and 2nd in 1st grade and 4th grade. Depth throughout the club and fielding a 5th grade means they will be everywhere come finals time. 4/7 at Boronia to come means potential Minor Premierships as far as the eye can see. Every grade capable of a premiership.

St Pats: The other Div 2 powerhouse with depth across the board and a huge first grade pack sitting a top the Barraclough ladder. Only weakness appears their 3rd grade side whom are 7th which may impact higher grades if any 2nd round serious injuries. But expect to seem them everywhere come finals time with 1st,Colts or 4ths their best bets.

Newport: A welcome return to Div 2 and they have more than proved they are up for it. Off the back of huge player numbers they sitting top 4 across all grades and with the likes of former Rats Josh Holmes and Liam Windon will provide some surprises in Rd2. 4/7 at home in front of their big crowds will prove a daunting prospect for visiting sides. Again along with Hunters and St Pats the Breakers will be everywhere come finals footy. Best bets 2nds, Colts or 3rds for a Premiership.

UNSW: Sitting 4th in 1st & 3rd grades and just outside the 4 in all other grades. Much will depend on their travelling ability with 4/7 away including tough road trips against HH and St Pats. They are the kings of lower grade stacks so expect to see them playing finals footy in a few grades including 1st grade. Best bet 3rd or 4th grade premiership.

EPPING: after a slow start the RAMS have put on a couple of upsets and suspect will continue to cause a few head aches. The RAM burger best in the business and I think their 1st & 2nd grades have a shot at making the semis. Best bet is their 3rd grade for a premiership.

Lindfield: Had a tough start with their home ground shut for weeks but have plenty of players and club spirit in the tank. Outside of 4th grade I cannot see them trouble the ticket booth at TG Millner come finals time but will be competitive to the end.

Hills: The disappointment of Div 2 thus far something is a miss at Yattendon. Have been competitive but lacked consistency across all grades. With no grades currently in the top 4 and 4/7 on the road their best bet sits in lower grades for a finals appearance. Their 1st grad would need to win 5/7 and hope for other results to make the finals.

BOBS: BOBS have been competitive in 1s,2s and colts but the Mosman whale sides are rubbish with 1 victory from 14 games. Back end injuries will challenge their player numbers and whilst BOBs 2nds and Colts could make the semis cannot see them progressing into the big dance. Relegation looms next year for a rebuild period in Div 3.

Potential Premiership winners after Round 1
1st Grade: St Pats to beat Hunters Hill
2nd Grade: Newport to beat Hunters Hill
Colts: Newport to beat Hunters Hill
3rd Grade: Hunters Hill to beat Newport
4th grade: Lindfield to beat St Pats

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
the Mosman whale sides are rubbish with 1 victory from 14 games.

"Rubbish" seems a bit harsh - they're Halligan Cup sides and effectively 5th Grade or below.

Not exactly designed to go up against guys ready to fill in for Reserve Grade.

I'd also add that the Richardson Cup side has lost three games by less than 7 points, including to Hunters Hill and UNSW who are finals contenders.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Fairly fair wrap so far. For Old Barker it certainly seems like okay at home and not so good on the road.

I certainly agree that relegation is on the cards for us. It will be interesting to see if Beecroft/Div 3 champs will want to come up.

With Knox being in the same boat in terms of club champs position and team numbers it will be interesting to see where we both land.

Its going to be a long second half of the season for Old Barker but hopefully 2nds and colts can push on and make the semis. Plus our new clubhouse/change room opens before the end of the season. Great to see the women team having a run most weeks.

Div 2 - Mid Season Wrap

Hunters Hill: The Div 1 dodgers have had a stellar first round and currently sit a top the table in 2nds, 3rds and Colts and 2nd in 1st grade and 4th grade. Depth throughout the club and fielding a 5th grade means they will be everywhere come finals time. 4/7 at Boronia to come means potential Minor Premierships as far as the eye can see. Every grade capable of a premiership.

St Pats: The other Div 2 powerhouse with depth across the board and a huge first grade pack sitting a top the Barraclough ladder. Only weakness appears their 3rd grade side whom are 7th which may impact higher grades if any 2nd round serious injuries. But expect to seem them everywhere come finals time with 1st,Colts or 4ths their best bets.

Newport: A welcome return to Div 2 and they have more than proved they are up for it. Off the back of huge player numbers they sitting top 4 across all grades and with the likes of former Rats Josh Holmes and Liam Windon will provide some surprises in Rd2. 4/7 at home in front of their big crowds will prove a daunting prospect for visiting sides. Again along with Hunters and St Pats the Breakers will be everywhere come finals footy. Best bets 2nds, Colts or 3rds for a Premiership.

UNSW: Sitting 4th in 1st & 3rd grades and just outside the 4 in all other grades. Much will depend on their travelling ability with 4/7 away including tough road trips against HH and St Pats. They are the kings of lower grade stacks so expect to see them playing finals footy in a few grades including 1st grade. Best bet 3rd or 4th grade premiership.

EPPING: after a slow start the RAMS have put on a couple of upsets and suspect will continue to cause a few head aches. The RAM burger best in the business and I think their 1st & 2nd grades have a shot at making the semis. Best bet is their 3rd grade for a premiership.

Lindfield: Had a tough start with their home ground shut for weeks but have plenty of players and club spirit in the tank. Outside of 4th grade I cannot see them trouble the ticket booth at TG Millner come finals time but will be competitive to the end.

Hills: The disappointment of Div 2 thus far something is a miss at Yattendon. Have been competitive but lacked consistency across all grades. With no grades currently in the top 4 and 4/7 on the road their best bet sits in lower grades for a finals appearance. Their 1st grad would need to win 5/7 and hope for other results to make the finals.

BOBS: BOBS have been competitive in 1s,2s and colts but the Mosman whale sides are rubbish with 1 victory from 14 games. Back end injuries will challenge their player numbers and whilst BOBs 2nds and Colts could make the semis cannot see them progressing into the big dance. Relegation looms next year for a rebuild period in Div 3.

Potential Premiership winners after Round 1
1st Grade: St Pats to beat Hunters Hill
2nd Grade: Newport to beat Hunters Hill
Colts: Newport to beat Hunters Hill
3rd Grade: Hunters Hill to beat Newport
4th grade: Lindfield to beat St Pats

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I certainly agree that relegation is on the cards for us. It will be interesting to see if Beecroft/Div 3 champs will want to come up.

With Knox being in the same boat in terms of club champs position and team numbers it will be interesting to see where we both land.

I think Knox should probably go down to 2nd Div for Hunters Hill/Pats.

I think Barker should probably down to 3rd Div at least BUT Beecroft were First Div not that long ago, and that 3-tier crash would still be fresh in the memory. Would they want to try and add a 4th Grade? Their Colts are red hot it must be said.

Third Div is unstable at the moment in terms of fulfilling regular matches. Lot of holes.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Knox should probably go down to 2nd Div for Hunters Hill/Pats.

I think Barker should probably down to 3rd Div at least BUT Beecroft were First Div not that long ago, and that 3-tier crash would still be fresh in the memory. Would they want to try and add a 4th Grade? Their Colts are red hot it must be said.

Third Div is unstable at the moment in terms of fulfilling regular matches. Lot of holes.

3rd Div is unstable!! Thats an understatement. HAC all but gone struggling to field colts and 3rds. Blacktown almost in the same boat. Raptors have a massive question mark over the long term future. I'm hearing Subbies are going to cut them some slack and let them continue which is debateable given how this club went around the global media for all the wrong reasons.

Sanka

Frank Row (1)
And the ref involved in that game has now given it away completely after that incident. well done Subbies and NSW Rugby...

It seems the only reason Subbies did anything was because it hit the news, considering there was no punishment for Blacktown.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And the ref involved in that game has now given it away completely after that incident. well done Subbies and NSW Rugby...

Really? I ran the line for him the week after at Oatley, and he seemed OK.

Good temperament I must say.

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 3 Round 9 Preview

Valley vs Beecroft

1sts: Valley by 3
2nds: Valley by 10
3rds: Beecroft by 12

Should be a cracking day of rugby in Windsor on Saturday. Valley seeming to hit their stride and I've got them to get up in the higher grades in close encounters. However, with no colts game Beecroft may spread their gun colts players across the grades which worked effectively in the first encounter at Headen. Matchup of the round.

Briars vs HAC

1sts: Briars by 40
2nds: Briars by 3
colts: HAC to put a team together to target this game as a win HAC by 5
3rds: Briars by 17

Briars should win in most grades with a potentially close matchup in 2nds. I have the feeling HAC's colts may be targeting this fixture as a potential way to avoid a winless season and lift to put some points on the board.

Old Ignatians vs Blacktown

1sts: Iggies by 50+
2nds: Iggies by 25
colts: Iggies by 15

Old Iggies to demolish a pathetic Blacktown (yes I hate them for the ref attacks) with big scores in all grades.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 2

Newport vs ST PATS: MOTR Breakers got home last start with an enormous defensive effort against Hunters. Not sure if they can do it again against another giant side in St Pats. I'll go with a St Pats win in the wet...just..but hope I'm wrong.

Lindfield vs HILLS: A must win game for Hills if they are to feature come finals time. Old Soldier will give it their all but come up just short.

Epping vs UNSW: A rapidly improving RAMS will come up short against a sharp and disciplined UNSW side. This will be a tough encounter where an upset is on the cards but unlikely

Bobs vs HUNTERS: Hunters will steamroll BOBs in this one with a 30+ scoreline.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4
Renegades v Redfield - though it will be interesting if the light showers play a part. Was a narrow win to Renegades last time right on the hooter.
Mac Uni v Saints - reckon it'll be a good, open game of rugby but Saints walloped them last time around at home.
Canterbury v Oatley - based on seeing both sides I think Berries have the better depth at home.
Oysters v Savers - the men in black won't be taking this lightly, but Oysters are a class outfit

Division 5
Dukes v Balmain - form guide says Balmain.
Merrylands v Forces - 2nd v 8th. Yep.
Burraneer v Menai - Hammerheads have had a few sessions in the hall of mirrors. If they can contain Menai's size, they'll win.
Sea Lice v Irish - The Lice to leapfrog Irish who continue to be strong.

Division 6
Chatswood v Maccabi - not by much
Brothers v Kings OB - thriller last time out but this one should be a bit more comfortable at home for CBOBs.
Wakehurst v Covies - Covies are clinging to that 4th spot but won't have enough I think

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I wonder how the new “The Meeting of 5” will go this weekend and beyond in Subbies land?

Prior to the commencement of each match, the ref (1) must meet with both ARs (2, 3) and both Ground Marshalls (4, 5) - hence the Meeting Of 5 (or M5 - which is irionic given barely any clubs exist along the M5 ;) ).

Everyone needs to be suitably attired (bibs or AR shirts) and have a quick discussion on crowd control and field setup etc. Water runners and physio need to be wearing appropriate bibs and everyone stays behind the rope during play

It is a minor addition to the existing requirements around Ground Marshalls and ARs. After the recent incidents, Subbies is now cracking down on these requirements.

It'll take a couple of weeks to get right as the communication from Club Contacts through coaches and the wider group is filtered down.

Div 2

Newport vs ST PATS: MOTR Breakers got home last start with an enormous defensive effort against Hunters. Not sure if they can do it again against another giant side in St Pats. I'll go with a St Pats win in the wet.just..but hope I'm wrong.

Lindfield vs HILLS: A must win game for Hills if they are to feature come finals time. Old Soldier will give it their all but come up just short.

Epping vs UNSW: A rapidly improving RAMS will come up short against a sharp and disciplined UNSW side. This will be a tough encounter where an upset is on the cards but unlikely

Bobs vs HUNTERS: Hunters will steamroll BOBs in this one with a 30+ scoreline.

Newport to beat St Pats in a tight one

Hills to scrape past Lindfield

UNSW to slaughter the Epping Lambs

Barker to upset Floppers Hill

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Controversy at porters today with 2nd grade interrupted after 10 mins for an ambulance for a ST PAts colt whom had dislocated his shoulder in a previous game going into shock. The game was reduced to 10m first half and 15m 2nd half but with St Pats leading 5-0 after 10m of the first half they refused to call it a draw.

In first grade St Pats inside centre may have played his last game of the season for a no arms shoulder charge to the head of a Newport player who currently resides in ICU. The no armed shoulder charge to the head went unpenalised by match officials. Having reviewed Clutch footage the player is looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks. I get the ref cannot see everything but the fact the two touch judges did not report it and it went without even a penalty is unacceptable. The clutch commentator duck man called it a straight red. I don’t think many will argue. I understand Newport have immediately cited the player.

My best wishes to the St Pats colts player whom I hope haas had his shoulder put back in, and the Newport player and his family who are currently with their son in ICU.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Controversy at porters today with 2nd grade interrupted after 10 mins for an ambulance for a ST PAts colt whom had dislocated his shoulder in a previous game going into shock. The game was reduced to 10m first half and 15m 2nd half but with St Pats leading 5-0 after 10m of the first half they refused to call it a draw.

In first grade St Pats inside centre may have played his last game of the season for a no arms shoulder charge to the head of a Newport player who currently resides in ICU. The no armed shoulder charge to the head went unpenalised by match officials. Having reviewed Clutch footage the player is looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks. I get the ref cannot see everything but the fact the two touch judges did not report it and it went without even a penalty is unacceptable. The clutch commentator duck man called it a straight red. I don’t think many will argue. I understand Newport have immediately cited the player.

My best wishes to the St Pats colts player whom I hope haas had his shoulder put back in, and the Newport player and his family who are currently with their son in ICU.

Mate, on behalf of the Epping Rams, our thoughts are with your boy and his family.