• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can any one confirm that Epping colts and Hunters Hill have some sort of arrangement? Plenty of Hunters Hill socks in the Rams backline and they played a lot better than their ladder position would have indicated pushing Newport all game. I think HH had a 2nds colts team and maybe its a merge?

Last edited:

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Can any one confirm that Epping colts and Hunters Hill have some sort of arrangement? Plenty of Hunters Hill socks in the Rams backline and they played a lot better than their ladder position would have indicated pushing Newport all game. I think HH had a 2nds colts team and maybe its a merge?
Correct. It is a joint venture program. Unfortunately we have not been able to recruit strongly at Colts level, given the lack of juniors in the area. Eastwood drain most of the local pool, and ran 4th grade colts with a number of reserves on the weekend. We went to them with the solution of that 4th grade colts playing with us and getting regular game time, however, the response from Eastwood was atypical - “we don’t have enough injury cover (which means we’d rather hoarse players).”
During the off season, we received incredible support from Luke and his amazing Colts coaching staff at Hunters Hill, who had an overflow of colts and rather than putting them in the Radford Cup, found a solution to regular playing time with us and them.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe a yellow. Newport were already down two men when the ref dispatched the red for a dangerous tackle. I'd like to see it on clutch to provide a better opinion.

yeah, the Cluch footage isn’t up for the second half at the moment.
my issue at the time was that the player was taken past the horizontal and then dropped.
I would like to see it again though. I think the Newport player could see a bit of time on the sideline.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Correct. It is a joint venture program. Unfortunately we have not been able to recruit strongly at Colts level, given the lack of juniors in the area. Eastwood drain most of the local pool, and ran 4th grade colts with a number of reserves on the weekend. We went to them with the solution of that 4th grade colts playing with us and getting regular game time, however, the response from Eastwood was atypical - “we don’t have enough injury cover (which means we’d rather hoarse players).”
During the off season, we received incredible support from Luke and his amazing Colts coaching staff at Hunters Hill, who had an overflow of colts and rather than putting them in the Radford Cup, found a solution to regular playing time with us and them.
A pragmatic solution based upon assumed positive intent. Great to hear

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
yeah, the Cluch footage isn’t up for the second half at the moment.
my issue at the time was that the player was taken past the horizontal and then dropped.
I would like to see it again though. I think the Newport player could see a bit of time on the sideline.
He certainly got close to horizantal before Newport realised him. Its interesting with Red cards, as that arguably cost Newport the game which is a pretty signifcant penalty and that doesnt seem to get taken into account during the review process. Lets hope clutch get that coverage up as im sure Newport will like to use that in defense of their player as you cant rely on excitable young ref reports.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its interesting with Red cards, as that arguably cost Newport the game which is a pretty signifcant penalty and that doesnt seem to get taken into account during the review process

Slippery slope. Does that mean a red card in the first minute with no score on the board is worth more than one in the last minute with the game decided?

I watched the first quarter - Epping had most of the territory and possession but just couldn't find that last pass to go over. Newport didn't exactly look like they were running away with it early.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Slippery slope. Does that mean a red card in the first minute with no score on the board is worth more than one in the last minute with the game decided?

I watched the first quarter - Epping had most of the territory and possession but just couldn't find that last pass to go over. Newport didn't exactly look like they were running away with it early.
Agree its a massive slippery slope.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

You’re right, we couldn’t make it stick and Newport took their opportunities including an intercept

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 3 quick summary having watched the games now.

The results were probably what was expected by the surprise this week was how close some of the games were.

Beecroft v Iggies 33-5: The one and most predictable result, Beecroft blew out iggies 33-5 with their backs clicking well and their strong defence continuing to be dominant, it was a clean sweep for the boys in green to top things off. Was always going to be a hard game for iggies forwards were bullied and backs needed to try and capitalise on half breaks.

Knox v Harbour 27-33: 5 tries to 4, knox nearly toppled the harbour boys coming out strong scoring 3 of the first 4 tries. A strong 2nd half by harbour and their backs ability to find space and counter attack was the difference. Was a high quality game and indicates 2 strong teams. There were solids wins for knox in colts and harbour in 2 grade.

BOBS v Manly 32-21: The big pack of Manly got the team to the closest result yet, but discipline, structure and missed tackling meant the Bobs were able to put enough points on the board to get the win, Manly will look to target this game at home for potential their first win. Manly (premiers club) colts dominated the struggling BOBs.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Div 2 Round 7 Preview

Valley vs Newport
- Newport started well when they had some semblence of last years team on deck, but that's fallen away now with rumours of more departures on the way. While without a lot of structure, Valley have steadily improved and will be primed for this clash having just had the bye. Always a big clash between these two clubs. Newport will try to use the larger field at MacQuade to their advantage, but I can sniff an upset here. Valley by 2.

Epping vs Briars - Much improved showing from each of these sides last week, who both appear to be getting some direction going. Big upset with Epping knocking over Newport, they've always had the capacity to score points, question is can they stop them. Briars will compete hard but seem to have a lot of trouble scoring points without being right on the opposition try line. Epping are likely to give them a few more opportunities at that than others this week. Epping by 3 to continue their resurgence. Should be a decent amount of points in this one.

UNSW vs Hills - This one will be tight I think. Both clubs have had similar score against most oppositions so far this year, both nursing being knocked around by Lindfield. Hills competed for long periods with Lindfield but seem to make errors at the wrong times. UNSW were very patchy against Briars last week, kicking into gear in the second half. Hills will need to get a handle on their scrum while UNSW will need to be more consistent within games. UNSW by 1 based on home ground advantage.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
Div 2 Round 7 Preview

Valley vs Newport
- Newport started well when they had some semblence of last years team on deck, but that's fallen away now with rumours of more departures on the way. While without a lot of structure, Valley have steadily improved and will be primed for this clash having just had the bye. Always a big clash between these two clubs. Newport will try to use the larger field at MacQuade to their advantage, but I can sniff an upset here. Valley by 2.

Epping vs Briars - Much improved showing from each of these sides last week, who both appear to be getting some direction going. Big upset with Epping knocking over Newport, they've always had the capacity to score points, question is can they stop them. Briars will compete hard but seem to have a lot of trouble scoring points without being right on the opposition try line. Epping are likely to give them a few more opportunities at that than others this week. Epping by 3 to continue their resurgence. Should be a decent amount of points in this one.

UNSW vs Hills - This one will be tight I think. Both clubs have had similar score against most oppositions so far this year, both nursing being knocked around by Lindfield. Hills competed for long periods with Lindfield but seem to make errors at the wrong times. UNSW were very patchy against Briars last week, kicking into gear in the second half. Hills will need to get a handle on their scrum while UNSW will need to be more consistent within games. UNSW by 1 based on home ground advantage.

Valley v Newport - Interesting matchup here. two teams that seem opposed in terms of size and shape, but both adopt a similar game plan. Running out of their own half and around the corner momentum. All comes down to who turns up on the trip out from Newport.
Newport by 7

Epping V Briars - I fancy Epping to go on here with some great momentum built from last week. Epping has some good strike weapons outside that will do the damage. - Epping by 12

UNSW V Hills - Will be watching this one closely. Totally agree with the scrum comment. They have a habit of making the scrum un-necessarily messy with their tightheads often not square. Uni's LHP seems like a strong lad that should expose this tactic. And with a Red card in 2nd Grade and their hooker exiting early last week in 1s, it might be their Achilles heel with low stocks. Fairly even elsewhere on the park. Uni by 10

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Div 3 Round 7 Predictions.

Iggies v Harbour
Iggies not looking too threatening, match fitness doesnt seem to be great for the old boys. Similar to last weeks match, Harbour will run them around the park and should win it out wide.
Harbour by 20

Beecroft v Manly
Croft havent lost a game and Manly hasnt won a game. 1 sided affair here, with Manly not fielding a 2nds, travelling wont be an issue for Beecroft and should have plenty of fresh subs off the bench.
Croft by 30.

Harlequins v Bobs
Will be the only competitive game.
Harlequins 2nds are top of the table and having that depth at home, after 2 weeks off might be too much for Bobs.
If Bobs backline show up they might cause some trouble.
Harlequins by 10

Last edited:

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 3 Round 7 Predictions.
Harlequins by 10
I agree entierly with your predictions, im expecting 3 cleansweeps. Only change I would make is increase the amount harlequins will win by to 20. There building well and they have structure to frustrate Barker on defense and then have enough on attack to score a few tries.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 predictions
Chatswood v Renegades - picked up a few injuries against Saints but have a few guys back as well. Should be able to put together a decent team but it'll close on Ladies Day at Beauchamp

Rockdale v Redfield - while I haven't seen the game, Rockdale weren't as dominant on the scoreboard against Raptors as I was expecting and they've been a bit inconsistent. Redfield are a different style of team for them and might out-rugby them.

Merrylands v Saints - should be a win at Holroyd for the home side. Saints were aggressive and patient against us but won't have the size or depth.

Irish v Mac Uni - Beacons unlikely to have the firepower to stay with Irish on the plastic.

Raptors v Wakehurst - Raptors are better at home but will need to take Wakehurst on via the set piece. Close game.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 Review/Preview

4/4 Last week - Although some results were a bit different to how I thought the games would go. We got up very late against a much improved Waverley Team. Unsure if Cluch have fixed up the Pats Mosman game which cut off the most important part of the game. Colleagues scrape past Forest who are improving with every game and Blueys were dominant.

Petersham - Drummoyne. Petersham fresh and Drummoyne bruised. I still think Drummoyne have shown more so should come away with the win, although this could be anything. Reds by 3

Colleagues - HH. Big away trip to the Eastern Suburbs. Playing twice within 6 rounds is interesting but should still be able to work a victory. HH by 7

Blue Mountains - Forest. Lapstone will be cold. Blueys put 40 on them earlier this year, although game appeared closer than that. Blueys on a roll - could they put 50 on, or will this be a bit of an ambush? Blueys by 25

St Pats - Waverley. I can not pick either of these two sides. St Pats won away from home earlier in the year on a bit of a run away late, but Waverley were good last week and stuck to the game for 80 minutes. Ladies day down at the mudpatch will bring the best from St Pats. Ill take the easy way out and tip a draw.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
He certainly got close to horizantal before Newport realised him. Its interesting with Red cards, as that arguably cost Newport the game which is a pretty signifcant penalty and that doesnt seem to get taken into account during the review process. Lets hope clutch get that coverage up as im sure Newport will like to use that in defense of their player as you cant rely on excitable young ref reports.
Saw the red. Very harsh indeed IMHO.

Subbies keeps me going back to watch because it was somewhat sheltered from usual professional yellow and red card BS. hope the trickle down effect does not take hold. All for player safety, but in this case, was far too heavy handed.

However, i say the above still respecting the referees decision. the way we treat our refs is what separates us from the mungoes and soccer and this sanctity needs to remain.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saw the card for Newport 17

First impression - remembering refs don't get to watch it 5 times: past horizontal, driven into the deck by White 17 as he went to deck as well, still grasping the tackled player.

Red for me.

Even if you watch it a few times on replay, and notice the tackled player get a hand to deck as the first point of contact, it doesn't make a difference; that was an effort to try and stop his face hitting the deck first. Fortunately this allowed them enough leverage to twist and take the rest of the impact on their shoulder.

White 17 could have completed that tackle without standing up and trying to drive into the deck.

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Saw the red. Very harsh indeed IMHO.

Subbies keeps me going back to watch because it was somewhat sheltered from usual professional yellow and red card BS. hope the trickle down effect does not take hold. All for player safety, but in this case, was far too heavy handed.

However, i say the above still respecting the referees decision. the way we treat our refs is what separates us from the mungoes and soccer and this sanctity needs to remain.
Agreed. Very very tough call.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
HeavyD - Do Newport have 2 x U18 teams this season? A powerhouse club that develops players. Any particular schools they come from?