• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
Newport Colts are coming first and Im sure will be dissapointed not to reach the GF or win it from here with 5 rounds to go. Im sure the Breakers will tough out the last of the season and have been upfront with subbies from the outset around mass player travels this year. The comical relegation call is a giggle for a club that has won the club champs, Barraclough and Clark Cups over the last few seasons.

agreed - you can’t relegate the self proclaimed “Barraclough Covid champions 2021”

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Waverley already forfeited 2 Barbour Cup games because they can't travel west of Hunters Hill ;)

Does anyone have any inside word whether Waverley will be playing the 2nd half of the season?

They ran on with 11 players last game against Blue Mountains and after 10 minutes their 12th player came and they played the game with 12. Does not seem sustainable.

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 11.18.18 am.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 11.20.21 am.png

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Way too many byes this season
Good call. You can't have an odd number of teams and wet weather rounds (with long weekends obviously unavoidable). Depending on your POV it either needlessly extends the season or robs the opportunity to play more games.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone have any inside word whether Waverley will be playing the 2nd half of the season?

They ran on with 11 players last game against Blue Mountains and after 10 minutes their 12th player came and they played the game with 12. Does not seem sustainable.

View attachment 16428

View attachment 16429
Yet with the exception of the Hunters Hill game they haven’t lost any game by more than 20. Pretty good effort if there playing with 12 most weeks. Fingers crossed that they hang in there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good call. You can't have an odd number of teams and wet weather rounds (with long weekends obviously unavoidable). Depending on your POV it either needlessly extends the season or robs the opportunity to play more games.
Would love to magically have 8 clubs per division but that might not even happen next year for some

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Div 2 Round 9 Preview

Hawkesbury Valley vs Briars - Both teams riding the high of wins in the previous round. Valley appear to finally be getting some personnel back and will be looking to take a few more scalps before the season is out, maybe a late run at 4th place! Briars turned it around big time against Newport last round, but still finding it really hard to score points. Valley by 8.

Epping vs Hills - No idea on this one, both teams were real ordinary last round, but both still in the running for finals. I'll go for the draw, but hope one of these teams (hopefully the boys on back to Epping day!) can put it together.

UNSW vs Lindfield - This'll be close most of the way through, but expect the class and consistency of Lindfield to pull away in the last 20 mins. If anyone can pull off the upset though, its UNSW. Lindfield by 7.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3 Round 9 Preview

Old Ignatians v Knox - Iggies got up in this fixture in round 1 but both clubs seasons have gone in opposite directions since then. Knox have recruited well over the course of the season and should have the measure of Iggies in this one despite being away from home. Knox by 14. Bonus tip: I think iggies take 2nds in a one point affair.

Manly Savers v Sydney Harbour - Harbour by a lot… This one could get messy unfortunately.

Sydney Harlequins v Beecroft - Beecroft have only gotten better throughout the season so no reason why Beecroft shouldn’t have a comfortable win here in the top grade. Big clashes in 2nds and colts which should be a cracker to watch.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 Round 8 Preview

This week could be anything - especially after last rounds 4 upsets. All really good games I feel. Get down to Boronia if possible.

Forest - Petersham. Going to go with a slight upset I feel. Forest at home, I think the home crowd will get around them and put Petersham off their game. Both sides have performed well recently. This will be a good game. Forest by 3

HH - Mosman. Was a great game last time out at Rawson. I expect the same again tomorrow. A chance to go either 1st or drop out of the 4 is a big difference with this result. Ill back the boys to win. HH by 7

Blueys - St Pats. 1 v 9. Looks easy on paper but this will be a grind I feel for a long period. Blueys to pull away late. Mountains by 10

Waverley - Colleagues. Not too far to travel for Colleagues, so can see them being very strong. Hope that Waverley pitch is watered before the game otherwise there could be a few of those superficial wounds that weep for days for all. Never pleasant playing on that deck and waking up the next morning with your cuts sticking to the bed sheets. Hopefully there is a nice crowd day. Colleagues by 6

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 Round 8

Saints v Rockdale - tbh Saints have a good team but they've just been coming up against better teams early in the season. Rockdale should still have enough if they can travel well.

Merrylands v Redfield - change of opposition style for Merrylands, who will look to dominate physically, but ROBR won't go away. Wolves at home.

Renegades v Mac Uni - beacons have been forced to forfeit Second Grade which hopefully makes us a bit stronger. Organisation the key.

Wakehurst v Irish - men in green to travel well, tho they might lose 2s.

Raptors v Chatswood - this will be interesting as the Staggies have had to forfeit 2s (snow trips?) and will therefore be a bit stronger in 1s. Back to Raptors day to bring some numbers.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Div 1 Round 8 Preview

This week could be anything - especially after last rounds 4 upsets. All really good games I feel. Get down to Boronia if possible.

Forest - Petersham. Going to go with a slight upset I feel. Forest at home, I think the home crowd will get around them and put Petersham off their game. Both sides have performed well recently. This will be a good game. Forest by 3

HH - Mosman. Was a great game last time out at Rawson. I expect the same again tomorrow. A chance to go either 1st or drop out of the 4 is a big difference with this result. Ill back the boys to win. HH by 7

Blueys - St Pats. 1 v 9. Looks easy on paper but this will be a grind I feel for a long period. Blueys to pull away late. Mountains by 10

Waverley - Colleagues. Not too far to travel for Colleagues, so can see them being very strong. Hope that Waverley pitch is watered before the game otherwise there could be a few of those superficial wounds that weep for days for all. Never pleasant playing on that deck and waking up the next morning with your cuts sticking to the bed sheets. Hopefully there is a nice crowd day. Colleagues by 6
4 from 4 for Mr Eastcoast. But I suspect he may be an imposter or had his account hacked, because it's unlike him to say anything positive about Forest!

But more seriously, how close is Div 1 this year. Any team can beat any other on a good day, with the exception of St Pat's. But even then, top of the table Blue Mountains only *just* beat them!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 - 5 from 5 in what was not a difficult round to pick TBH.

I was surprised at some of the margins tbh

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Div 3 Round 9 Preview

Old Ignatians v Knox - Iggies got up in this fixture in round 1 but both clubs seasons have gone in opposite directions since then. Knox have recruited well over the course of the season and should have the measure of Iggies in this one despite being away from home. Knox by 14. Bonus tip: I think iggies take 2nds in a one point affair.

Manly Savers v Sydney Harbour - Harbour by a lot… This one could get messy unfortunately.

Sydney Harlequins v Beecroft - Beecroft have only gotten better throughout the season so no reason why Beecroft shouldn’t have a comfortable win here in the top grade. Big clashes in 2nds and colts which should be a cracker to watch.

You got 2 fairly predictable wins here but you got unlucky with an upset from the quinns at home over beecroft, thatll be a bit of a shake up.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
4 from 4 for Mr Eastcoast. But I suspect he may be an imposter or had his account hacked, because it's unlike him to say anything positive about Forest!

But more seriously, how close is Div 1 this year. Any team can beat any other on a good day, with the exception of St Pat's. But even then, top of the table Blue Mountains only *just* beat them!
No animosity from me towards any team. I think Forest have done well this year to bounce back from a disappointing year last year.
I am really enjoying this competition. As you said close across the board from 1st to 9th. Really could have anyone winning it this year.

A couple of shocks in the other divisions though;
- Beecroft losing their first of the season
- Lindfield being ungracious winners. Hope they keep this energy next year when they come back to the top grade.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
No animosity from me towards any team. I think Forest have done well this year to bounce back from a disappointing year last year.
I am really enjoying this competition. As you said close across the board from 1st to 9th. Really could have anyone winning it this year.

A couple of shocks in the other divisions though;
- Beecroft losing their first of the season
- Lindfield being ungracious winners. Hope they keep this energy next year when they come back to the top grade.

Lindfield are having a great year, have players to burn, are well organised and are playing solid 2nd DIV rugby. That said, the standard in DIV 2 has fallen away dramatically this year from other clubs with Newport and HV playing rosters light years from last season. In my view we have never seen as bigger gap between Div 1 and 2 as we have this year.

Cauliflower Brain

Frank Row (1)
Interesting take, what did they do?
Apart from being super touchy when they were behind and then some average banter after the late comeback, the main thing was they just didn't have anyone hang around for speeches. It's not that far of a drive back up the M2 and with the amount of supporters and players they had hanging around at the ground it's pretty poor form not to turn up for the boatrace. Which is by far the most important competition of the day.